• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH SPR - To rebarrel or not to rebarrel?

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I picked up an FNH SPR A5M on trade a year or so ago, always intending to get some custom work done to it. It's currently sporting the original 24" heavy varmint (bigger actually) barrel. I imagine it to be blissful to shoot at the range, at which it will spend most of it's time. But I'd really like to chop the barrel back to 18.5" or so, and maybe get it fluted, so it's not so much of a pig when I do take it hunting. Shot Action Customs acknowledges the possibility of the chrome lining flaking, but they're still pretty confidant. But they can't true up the action unless they replace the barrel. So, 'hide members, help me decide. . . Should I just pick up a Bartlein Barrel and replace the original?

I should mention that this rifle hasn't been fired yet.

I would pull the barrel and sell it and put a barrel of your choice in the action. I can say that a friend has this rifle and with hand loads it is a hammer.

I would also rebarrel, no point in taking a chance of the chrome flaking and ruining the barrel that you could sell on here.

If money is tight, sell the SPR. Otherwise I'd leave it as is, with that stock it will never be a mountain rifle. If you want a light hunting rifle get a sporter M70 or Tikka T3. The cost of rebarreling will nearly buy one of these.

How much should one sell a take off spr barrel for? Say a non fluted 24"? I have an spr with less than 700 through it but I want a lighter shorter barrel.

The chrome won't flake but if FNH tapers the end of the bore on the SPR like they do on AR barrels you'll lose that and it may effect accuracy. The SPR doesn't need truing anyway if you bed them they'll put 3 in a quarter.