• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH TSR in 300 WSM, how heavy is this thing gonna be?

rukwikenuf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
i'm kinda pipe-dreaming here about a relatively light weight WSM rifle, and the FNH came to mind. their website lists it at 10.1 lbs empty, how much of that could i shave off if i mounted it in a B&C carbelite stock? and what stocks will fit the FNH rifles? i know that they (FN) own Winchester, so the modern short action M70 stocks? are they the same?

thanks guys

Are you dead set on 300WSM? I did a light weight build it kicked pretty damn hard, I also could get comfy behind the B&C stock! Decided to do a short barrel A3 6.5x47L

i'm not dead set on the 300 WSM, but one of my plans (if this comes to fruition) is to thread the bbl for a brake. i'm really not concerned with how loud it is, i'll be wearing some sort of ear pro.

my original thought was a Rem 700 in 7mag, and trying to keep it under 7lbs unscoped yet still retain a good bbl and solid stock. if i do end up with the theoretical gun, it'll be my excuse to finally go on that Alaska trip i've been dreaming of. like i said, pipe dream

Yeah I only heard good things from the short mags so I thought I tried it. I also shoot more than I hunt so I like a smooth shooter but something that could do the job if I hunted to. Just keep the thoughts flowing, I hear good things from 7wsm and I hear kick isn't to bad.

I'm in the process of putting a sort of lightweight 7/300 WSM together myself. The donor rifle is my shot out Abolt 270 WSM that's getting a new krieger 5r 7mm tube in std palma and fluted. It'll be 24" total length with the APA little bastard brake all set in a McMillian A5 with their lightweight fill. I'm hoping for about 10ish lbs, before the scope.

The rifle was quite light from the factory and wasn't terrible to shoot but not something you wanna run 50 or 60 through at a time either. I'm hoping the moderate weight and the brake will make it not so bad. We'll see.

I don't really have a reason but I am a 300 WSM fan, and without a good butt pad they kick like a mule. A brake does help no doubt, but the thing that got me to calm down and quit cringing was a good butt pad. That at least made it tolerable.

ok, but is there a B&C style stock (one that's not gonna set me back the $$ that a McMillan will) that will fit a FNH? and what one?

my goal is eventually have a rifle that i can shoot things that are far away while keeping the weight down to a reasonable poundage. i've been eyeballing the Rem 700 CDL SF, thinking i'd pull the wood stock off in favor of a Carbelite. that way i could keep the weight down, have a sturdy stock, and still be affordable. if i could justify the cost, id get a Christensen Hunter

Last edited: