• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FNX 45 Tac or H&K CT?

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
Just curious which 45 you guys would go with. Looking for a tactical handgun basically. Not too worried about cost, just looking to see what others would consider the best one out there and why?

Re: FNX 45 Tac or H&K CT?

What do you consider TACTICAL? Something with light rail and threaded barrel? Both of those are good guns. Sig makes some nice weapons as well.

To be honest for me tactical would be threaded barrel, knock down power, all around great gun for the most types of uses. However, I won't lie I like to purchase weapons that retain their value as I also consider them an "investment" or "asset" so to speak. I would rather pay more knowing something will retain or go up in value as long as it's also practical and can get the job done should it ever need to.

i own one and honestly the grip is so big i have a hard time shooting it consistently

I have heard stories of fnp 45 with feed issues

I to a hk45c on the way, just need to get a threaded barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthGhost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45CT

peerless.... </div></div>

Just hope you don't need service or support! I assumed it was just us lowly civilians that they treated like crap but then I discovered that even Department Armorers were complaining bitterly about HK (<span style="font-style: italic">lack of</span>) Customer Service.

The FN is a big gun, with a rather large grip so if you have small hands I suppose that could be an issue but FWIW I've found mine to be extremely accurate and very "shootable". It was my first .45 handgun and I wondered how much of a learning curve I'd have with the larger (for me) caliber. I was surprised to find I had no problems shooting very acceptable groups from its very first range trip.

Re. the feed problems I believe FN had a problem with a batch of not-quite-in-spec mags but I haven' heard of any such problems lately. I've had no feed issues with any of my 5 mags: 3 - 14 round, and 2 - 15 round.

If you have really big hands get the FN one, because if it fits in your hand you get 15 rounds in the mag which is a nice plus.

If you have normal sized hands, get the HK45 (full size, not the HK45c or the USP 45) with the extended threaded barrel and you'll love how the grip feels in your hands and how well it points & shoots. The only down side is 10 round mag capacity.

If you need something more easily concealed then get the HK45c either with the extended threaded barrel, or add that later.

If you get the bug, I'd actually suggest getting both the HK45 and the HK45c, The HK45 for your range gun, bedside gun, battle pistol etc and then the HK45c as your daily concealed carry pistol (the same 10 round magazines will fit both if you use the standard floorplates).

A lot of people suggest just getting the HK45c which is a good idea if you can only have 1 and need to be able to carry it concealed, however the big brother HK45 is a superior gun if you don't need small / concealed, or can have both, it has much better grips & shoots even more smoothly.

HK customer service is actually quite good especially since they opened the USA factory, if there is a problem, call them up, then ship them the gun & they will fix it for you & let you know how much it costs (if any depending on the service) and then ship it back good as new, with a pretty good turn around time.

Depending on the deal you find, if you get one with a standard barrel, you can just order the Extended threaded barrel for either one and have a second barrel.

HK makes nice stuff....but so does FN. I own a few HK guns and never had issues with them. I picked up my FNP 45 becasue it appeared at the right place at the right time for the right price.

The FNP did / does have an issue firing Winchester white box ammo. The ammo is said to be too long and causes feeding problems. I have not fired any so I can not speak to that. My FNP I had a kaboom in my hand. I had a case rupture in the UN-supported case area. The FNP has a unsupported chamber and in my instance I believe I had a bad round that the case ruptured. I also had other ammo that when fired was coming out bulged. My kaboom also blew off the ambi safety lever on the right side.
FN out a new barrel in my gun and I have it back now and have to make a range trip to test fire it. I love the FNP and the way it fits my hand. I wish 15 rounds mags were available. FN is not really big on supplying mags. I had to wait when I had my FN SPR rifle which I converted to AICS mags. I will have to wait for FNP 45 mags!

My thread on kaboom~

http://fwd4.me/12Hm

Gunandclips.jpg

I have a USP Tactical in .40. I had it sent back because I had a case rupture(to put it lightly). It took 6 weeks and $215 for a new frame, extractor, test fire and sent back to my dealer. Their customer service wasn't as evil as I heard and initially thought. It now keeps my safe company. I shoot it every once in a while, but the FNP-Tactical in my my pistol list. It just fits my hands so much better.

(My favorite pistol right now is my M&P 9 Pro Series with APEX competition kit and RAM, so that's why my H&K sits, in case you were wondering. With 147gr cast lead and 4.0grains of Accurate #5, it feels like pellet gun, shoots fast and accurately).

Anyhow, the USP is a good pistol, I have no plans of selling it, but I really think there are better offerings now days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can change the straps on the these HKs for different sized hands. </div></div>

Ditto for the FNP as well.
Both are excellent choices and comes down to preference and price.

+1 for the HK. Lots of experience with these. They run extremely well. When other brands have quit, mine have kept going.

I have talked with HK customer service and they have always been responsive and informative.

I wouldn't own any other brand of semi-auto.

The Mark 23 is an excellent weapon, but it's kind of in a class by itself, it is designed more as a sidearm that is a primary weapon.

It is also very large and if you have small hands it won't fit you well.

If you plan on loading it up with the hot +P ammo, swimming along in the ocean, climbing on a yacht and having a shootout, one of your rounds being a dud, so firing another round to blast the first stuck bullet out of the barrel & then keep on shooting, then swimming back to the beach and maybe taking out a few guards, then it is the perfect gun for you.

They do however hold their value very well as they are a collector model.

I think you'll find however like most others, that the Mark 23 occupies a special place in your safe and comes out for viewings for all your friends and the HK45 / HK45c is the one that sees most of the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mark 23 is an excellent weapon, but it's kind of in a class by itself, it is designed more as a sidearm that is a primary weapon.

It is also very large and if you have small hands it won't fit you well.

If you plan on loading it up with the hot +P ammo, swimming along in the ocean, climbing on a yacht and having a shootout, one of your rounds being a dud, so firing another round to blast the first stuck bullet out of the barrel & then keep on shooting, then swimming back to the beach and maybe taking out a few guards, then it is the perfect gun for you.

They do however hold their value very well as they are a collector model.

I think you'll find however like most others, that the Mark 23 occupies a special place in your safe and comes out for viewings for all your friends and the HK45 / HK45c is the one that sees most of the action. </div></div>

I don't own a fnp45 (I was gonna buy a fnx45 but decided against it) but from what I hear, it's not much bigger compared to a mk23?

my mk23 is HUGE, but honestly it's that damn long ass barrel. the grips isn't much bigger compared to a USP and the trigger guard gives it that 'huge' look which goes with the really long slide to accommodate the long barrel.

it's the pistol (like you said) that you take to hell and back. problem is, it's too expensive, and unless you have a special place for it in your heart (I do) it's too much $$$ to justify it I think.

that being said, if you can have one tactical .45, it would be the Mk23.

I might get a FNX45 one day, but I just don't see it happening now.