• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

?? Foam question - hard cases ??

cellular

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
Hi, Ive looked at a couple different plastic gun cases, and some appear that they compress, and mold to fit your gun. Then if you put a different gun in, the foam appears wont be supported as much, or another compressed mold will be formed, and neither rifle would be supported as much as before. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Right now, theres a sale ( $120 ) at Harbor Freight for an Apache 9800 rifle case. I don't know what the foam is like in that case. Can I please get some explanations, on what that foam is like? In other words, is it universal, to where it reforms itself to original shape after taking rifle out of case, or, whether the foam stays molded to the shape of that particular rifle. Also, is it easy to take foam out, or replace it, or put something in its place thats better?
Thank you. I have some Savage 12FV, that are about 48"- 49" long. The inside length of case is 50.375". Kinda cutting it close it seems, but I have other shorter rifles also. Any, info/advice would be helpful. I kinda gotta act on this Apache deal quick, if I'm going to do it, cuz sale ends soon

I just bought one of these, it’s a nice heavy duty case. The foam is perforated into little block, so you pick it apart instead of cutting it. Ive only used it once and haven’t tried to put any of foam blocks back to change the shape of the cutout, but I think you could but it won’t be good as new as the blocks won’t be rejoined. So its not like you could change it up often. I do wonder if you can buy a replacement foam piece for it if you swapped rifles, I’ll have to look into that.

$120 is a steal, I paid $160 for mine.

I’ve never encountered a memory foam case….most are a solid sheet of the pick-and-pull type mentioned above. You can cut or pull apart a pretty exact fit or go wide to a more generic rifle shape for a variety of guns. I suppose you could just mash the lid closed and go with a total squeeze fit if you had a particularly skinny rifle. Sheets of the pick and pull foam can be purchased online for cheap so you can make a couple and switch with the gun you are carrying. My current setup has a layer of pick and pull that is shaped to the gun and the lid is egg-crate type foam that closes down and is a light compression fit on the bits that stick up above the pull apart foam.

You can bias the fit toward the stock so the muzzle is farther away from the end if it’s a really tight fit. You can also glue the foam back together using spray adhesive if you need to move some around or make a long sheet out of two smaller ones but it’s not really a “rebuild and shape to a new gun” solution. At that point, get a new sheet.

I’ve never encountered a memory foam case….most are a solid sheet of the pick-and-pull type mentioned above. You can cut or pull apart a pretty exact fit or go wide to a more generic rifle shape for a variety of guns. I suppose you could just mash the lid closed and go with a total squeeze fit if you had a particularly skinny rifle. Sheets of the pick and pull foam can be purchased online for cheap so you can make a couple and switch with the gun you are carrying. My current setup has a layer of pick and pull that is shaped to the gun and the lid is egg-crate type foam that closes down and is a light compression fit on the bits that stick up above the pull apart foam.

You can bias the fit toward the stock so the muzzle is farther away from the end if it’s a really tight fit. You can also glue the foam back together using spray adhesive if you need to move some around or make a long sheet out of two smaller ones but it’s not really a “rebuild and shape to a new gun” solution. At that point, get a new sheet.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes, today I looked at cases again, and foam is pick out, like you described. Good idea/advice about crowding the butt end, to give muzzle a lil clearance. , Thanks for the info