• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Focusing on crosshairs

sapper12b

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2009
Wyoming
I’ve notice that here recently I have a hard time focusing on the crosshairs. The only time I can see them clearly is right when I look through the scope, then shortly looking through they go blurry if not disappear altogether. Does anyone have any tips on how to retrain my eye to focus on the cross hairs?
Thanks.

Re: Focusing on crosshairs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’ve notice that here recently I have a hard time focusing on the crosshairs. The only time I can see them clearly is right when I look through the scope, then shortly looking through they go blurry if not disappear altogether. Does anyone have any tips on how to retrain my eye to focus on the cross hairs?
Thanks.</div></div>

assuming the ocular adjustment is correct.. Does it do it all the time or only after you have shot for a while. IE eye fatigue? Possible your eyes need correction with glasses? Usually the only time this happens to me is when my eyes get tired.

You need to focus the eyepiece on your ocular lens, the adjustment on the eyepiece itself. While looking at a solid backdrop (sky, wall, etc) look through the scope, you should be able to immediately pick up the reticle, adjust the eyepiece until you achieve a clear image of the reticle. While adjusting, don't look through the scope for too long (a few seconds), your eye will adjust even if it is out of focus. You shouldn't have to fight between looking at your target and the reticle.

Kirk R

It happens pretty quickly usally after a couple shots. My eyes are good just had the checked. I have focused the ocular lense but did not use a solid back drop. I'll try that first.
Thanks for your guys input!

Okay I checked the ocular focus and we are good there. What I noticed is I didnt have any problems keeping the crosshairs in focus with the soild backdrop. Any suggetions on keeping focused on target?

Are you adjusting for parallax correctly?

Keeping the cross hairs crisp and sharp, adjust the parallax back and forth until you reach the optimum setting.

Sure am I get everything grip and clear. Then the crosshairs blur out and dissaper.

I see this, forgive the pun, all the time when demonstrating ACOG's, folks are concentrating on the target looking past the reticle; perhaps, you are too. One other thing comes to mind, does this problem only occur after you have shot a few rounds?

Pretty much after the first couple shots. When it happens I'll look away for a bit then get back on the gun and it dosent help. Sounds like your right, I'm looking past my reticle. Any suggetions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much after the first couple shots. When it happens I'll look away for a bit then get back on the gun and it dosent help. Sounds like your right, I'm looking past my reticle. Any suggetions?
</div></div>

practice. not trying to sound like an ass there but its the only way to train eye. see the same thing with pistol shooters all the time. eye naturally wants to look at the target or rear sight, it takes a while before they can quickly get and maintain focus on front sight. I usually have people practice by sticking thumb up at arms length and practice focusing on it. not sure how, besides staring through scope, to train something on a 4 inch eye relief. Im sure others will.

Try training yourself step by step while looking at a white wall with no distinguishable features visible other than the reticle.

You just have to get used to doing it.

First step - focus on the reticle when it's the only thing visible. White wall.

Then work on dry fire practice while you're doing it that way.

When you feel like you are 'staying with' the reticle you can then transition yourself into being more comfortable while doing it with a target behind the reticle.

--Fargo007