• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FOID Card Renewal in Illinois

EarlSwagger66

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 19, 2019
    NW Illinois
    My previous FOID card was active from 3/1/2010 to 3/1/2020. Knowing that it would expire March 1, I went online on the IL State Police website to renew in mid November '19. Website would not allow me to renew stating that I had to wait until I was within the 90-day window before expiration. I went back online December 6 and submitted application and payment. My card expired March 1 and I have still not received the replacement, and the website still shows my application as under review. I called my state representative to express my concerns and spoke with a member of his staff. Apparently this issue is fairly common. This is B.S. I went through almost the same thing last year renewing my CCW.

What's the fee for renewal of the FOID card and the fee for the CCW ??
    I would like to think that one of those cards would be sufficient for both reasons.
    But govts charging the population to use their rights is fucked up to begin with.

What's the fee for renewal of the FOID card and the fee for the CCW ??
    I would like to think that one of those cards would be sufficient for both reasons.
    But govts charging the population to use their rights is fucked up to begin with.

$10 for the FOID card which has been good for 10 years. $150 for the CCW which has been for 5 years. I agree with you. It appears that politically it is going to get worse here.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    Couldn't be your new governors fault lol.

I'm surprised they haven't brought the ban hammer yet and am wondering what they are waiting for.

Reactions: EarlSwagger66

You will get help if you go to Illinois Carry - look up Molly B. and send her a PM. That said, the Illinois State Police are being sued for these kinds of things. So while we need to try as best we can it's kind of ordained that we are going to get hassled and such. My CCL expires next year and my FOID in 2023 and I'm not looking forward to renewing.

PITA.

As to the "Ban Hammer" they will ramp up the bans here in Illinois as they will in a lot of places but we have established something like 67 out of 102 counties as 2A Sanctuary counties and while that won;t stop them forever it has been in effect long enough that they are kinda of concerned. Having been involved in some of that 2A Sanctuary business I can tell you that State .GOV is intimidated about forcing that hand.

VooDoo

You will get help if you go to Illinois Carry - look up Molly B. and send her a PM. That said, the Illinois State Police are being sued for these kinds of things. So while we need to try as best we can it's kind of ordained that we are going to get hassled and such. My CCL expires next year and my FOID in 2023 and I'm not looking forward to renewing.

PITA.

VooDoo
    Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci

It's a mess. Especially since the income from CCL and FOID sales in Illinois was stolen/re directed to other non ISP or FOID/CCL functions. Basically Illinois didn't want us to have CCL but when forced by the Supreme Court to issue CCL's they found that they made *millions* of $ from the fees.

"The lawsuit, filed in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division federal court, says the Governor “has swept or transferred funds totaling more than $29,500,000.00 from the State Police Firearms Services Fund, the State Police Operations Assistance Fund, and the State Police Services Fund away from these funds and into other accounts.” According to the complaint, “The money was to be used for three purposes: administration of the Firearm Owners Identification Card (“FOID Card Act”), background checks for firearm-related services, and concealed carry licensing pursuant to the Firearms Concealed Carry Act (“FCCA”). Instead, the more than $29,500,000.00 has been subject to interfund transfers which are ostensibly to be repaid but which have not been or swept into other accounts without an obligation to reimburse the funds at all.”

So now Illinois Politicians have stolen the profits to give to other projects and left FOID and CCL processing manned by like 5 people for the whole State. Fuckers.

VooDoo

It's a mess. Especially since the income from CCL and FOID sales in Illinois was stolen/re directed to other non ISP or FOID/CCL functions. Basically Illinois didn't want us to have CCL but when forced by the Supreme Court to issue CCL's they found that they made *millions* of $ from the fees.

"The lawsuit, filed in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division federal court, says the Governor “has swept or transferred funds totaling more than $29,500,000.00 from the State Police Firearms Services Fund, the State Police Operations Assistance Fund, and the State Police Services Fund away from these funds and into other accounts.” According to the complaint, “The money was to be used for three purposes: administration of the Firearm Owners Identification Card (“FOID Card Act”), background checks for firearm-related services, and concealed carry licensing pursuant to the Firearms Concealed Carry Act (“FCCA”). Instead, the more than $29,500,000.00 has been subject to interfund transfers which are ostensibly to be repaid but which have not been or swept into other accounts without an obligation to reimburse the funds at all.”

So now Illinois Politicians have stolen the profits to give to other projects and left FOID and CCL processing manned by like 5 people for the whole State. Fuckers.

VooDoo
    Sums it up really well.

"The People's Republic of Illinois" increasingly seems a fitting name.

Apparently this issue is fairly common. This is B.S. I went through almost the same thing last year renewing my CCW.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's BS and the whole FOID thing is unconstitutional. However, it really doesn't make a difference when you physically get the card. As long as you applied for it prior to expiration, your number is still valid. You can still purchase a firearm, possess, everything that you could do before. It's just your physical card isn't in your possession. When you get your new FOID, just as your CCL, the expiration date will be from the date you applied and paid online.

Yes, I (unfortunately) am an Illinois resident, as well as a retail FFL holder.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's BS and the whole FOID thing is unconstitutional. However, it really doesn't make a difference when you physically get the card. As long as you applied for it prior to expiration, your number is still valid. You can still purchase a firearm, possess, everything that you could do before. It's just your physical card isn't in your possession. When you get your new FOID, just as your CCL, the expiration date will be from the date you applied and paid online.

Thanks. My state rep's. staff member told me that as well, as far as still being valid as long as you applied and paid in a timely fashion.

Par for the course.
    Screw your eyes out with regulation and fees and fail to deliver what you've paid for.
    The icing is watching the revolving door for repeat criminals that are
    supposed to be the target of these policies.

R

Several folks posting at Illinois Carry Forum and some folks I know (my Wife was one...) applied for their FOID's and it expired while they were waiting for a new one. She/they have been denied purchasing firearms because when the number was run thru the ISP database it comes up as expired/invalid.

VooDoo

Several folks posting at Illinois Carry Forum and some folks I know (my Wife was one...) applied for their FOID's and it expired while they were waiting for a new one. She/they have been denied purchasing firearms because when the number was run thru the ISP database it comes up as expired/invalid.

VooDoo

Huh! I have ran several who has applied for, but yet to receive the card, and every one of them is just like any other background check.

I really hope that it does get repealed. But, I have a feeling it won't. Pocket's run deep within the Chicago Machine, and the revenue lost to line said pockets would be huge.

As a retailer, it really pisses me off that I had to pony up $1500 last year for the new state gun shop "license." 8 or so months later, I have yet to have even a license number, let alone the actual paper license. I had to pay no later than such and such date or stand getting my FFL pulled, yet they can wait as long as they want to issue me a number. Thankfully, the distributors understand what Illinois gun grabbers are doing. But, how long will it be before certain distributors deny selling to us because we can't provide the required license numbers so they don't get in trouble.

Illinois. Where the criminals run shit and are the bosses of the politicians. See Kim Foxx for more information.

Yup. And when we put the fuckers in jail Trump turns them loose and commutes their sentences. Blagojevich, the biggest gun grabbing Democrat cheating, lying, thieving prick Governor Illinois has ever seen and Trump commutes his sentence.

VooDoo

Do you guys need this so called FOID card to own and keep the firearms you already have? Or is it to buy new ones? Fucked up either way, but just curious.

Do you guys need this so called FOID card to own and keep the firearms you already have? Or is it to buy new ones? Fucked up either way, but just curious.

Not sure when it was enacted into law, but I’m 49 and the FOID has been around as long as I can remember.

A valid FOID card is required for all firearm or ammo purchase, as well as possession of firearms. Our background checks are done by the local governing body (Illinois State Police.) We also have a 72hr wait on all firearms, including blackpowder and certain air guns.

Reactions: Arc Light
    That is one thing this new Dem Gov has been pushing. If your FOID card expires, the local LE is notified and is required to collect all of your firearms until you (or someone in the household) possesses a valid FOID. (The Illinois State Police computer system runs every single FOID every night for a list of expired FOID cards. Then forwards that list to the local LE.)

Reactions: Arc Light
    Yup. And when we put the fuckers in jail Trump turns them loose and commutes their sentences. Blagojevich, the biggest gun grabbing Democrat cheating, lying, thieving prick Governor Illinois has ever seen and Trump commutes his sentence.

VooDoo
    It’s entirely possible he’s not our biggest thieving prick. Ryan was pretty bad, and all we have to do is give J.B. some time...

That is one thing this new Dem Gov has been pushing. If your FOID card expires, the local LE is notified and is required to collect all of your firearms until you (or someone in the household) possesses a valid FOID. (The Illinois State Police computer system runs every single FOID every night for a list of expired FOID cards. Then forwards that list to the local LE.)

If we had a Supreme Court with some balls, this would be struck down as a blatant violation of the 2nd Amendment. Do they also confiscate your car if your driver's license expires in IL?

I grew up in Chicago and left in 1981 for a job opportunity. Moved to California and left there for Texas Hill Country in 2003 so I escaped both states. I review about 2000 4473 forms a year. The most common states of birth after Texas is California followed by Illinois.
    if your stuck in Illinois, you have my sympathy. If you not stuck there, leave as soon as you can.

I'm stuck here unfortunately. The FOID is a Firearm Owners Identification Card. You cannot be in possession of a firearm in Illinois without one. You cannot purchase ammunition without one. You cannot transport a firearm without one.

The FOID is a necessary piece of paper. Merely being in possession of a firearm in Illinois (as a resident. No idea about visitors.) you need to have your papers in order. Illinois does not accept any other States CCL - the moment one steps out of his/her vehicle with a firearm one better be prepared to go to jail if they do not have a Illinois CCL and FOID.

Pray for US.

VooDoo

Reactions: EarlSwagger66
    In many states in the United States, a FOID (Firearm Owner's Identification) card is required not only to purchase new firearms but also to legally possess and keep the firearms you already own. Nrega

My previous FOID card was active from 3/1/2010 to 3/1/2020. Knowing that it would expire March 1, I went online on the IL State Police website to renew in mid November '19. Website would not allow me to renew stating that I had to wait until I was within the 90-day window before expiration. I went back online December 6 and submitted application and payment. My card expired March 1 and I have still not received the replacement, and the website still shows my application as under review. I called my state representative to express my concerns and spoke with a member of his staff. Apparently this issue is fairly common. This is B.S. I went through almost the same thing last year renewing my CCW.

So when are you moving to a free state that you can help shore up against tyranny?

Or are you just here to bitch?

In many states in the United States, a FOID (Firearm Owner's Identification) card is required not only to purchase new firearms but also to legally possess and keep the firearms you already own. Nrega
    First off, no, in most states in the US you do not need a FOID. Secondly, what's your point of posting misinformation? ...From India?

Not great news for me. I'll be moving from CA TO Illinois in January. Wife wants to move to take care of her father, whom I like even though we are polar opposites politically. Thanks for the links.
    FYI, do they check your FOID card when you goto a range to shoot?

Reactions: The D
    Not great news for me. I'll be moving from CA TO Illinois in January. Wife wants to move to take care of her father, whom I like even though we are polar opposites politically. Thanks for the links.
    They do, in IL.

They do not, in WI.

You will need to present FOID card to even handle a firearm in an IL gun shop.

They do, in IL.

They do not, in WI.

You will need to present FOID card to even handle a firearm in an IL gun shop.

NY (for pistols), NJ, and IL are the only "extreme antigun" states of the US where such draconian policies are still in place covering almost all firearms right down to airguns and muzzleloaders. Contrary to some popular views, it used to be A LOT worse in the 1970s-90s before the Castle Doctrine and Right To Carry movements turned a lot of no-carry and no-handgun regions into Shall Issue or Permitless. We still have A LOT of miles to fight and it will be a grueling fight, that is why we need as many people to care and be actively on board as possible. So far, battles are being brought right to the doorsteps of gun-ban havens like NYC, DC, and San Francisco with landmark cases like Heller and Bruen and that is a good trend to set. Constitutional Carry and nationwide reciprocity of all commonly owned and used firearms MUST be a main point for the 2024 campaign.

7wor8h.jpg

Reactions: 748rpilot
    The ranges I go to check my FOID card.

Is there any chance at all you could move to one of the IL border states and still take care of fil? My wife and I are mulling a move back to that region so we can be close to my family. I am absolutely not moving back to hellinois but I could move to WI or even a little further away to ne IA

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    In related item, if you attend a shooting event as an out of stater, how does that work for IL. They have some matches they are attractive, but not attractive enough to get involved with IL regulation.

I know I am kinda late to this party but @Emily78 needs to stop talking with us guys here. Her hubby might find out and then he and his brothers are gonna throw concentrated sulphuric acid on her face. "Emily", it is YOU who should really be needing a gun to carry around. Depending on how closely your male relatives follow traditional South Asian culture, you are on borrowed time every day, you know that right?

In related item, if you attend a shooting event as an out of stater, how does that work for IL. They have some matches they are attractive, but not attractive enough to get involved with IL regulation.
    IIRC, all you have to do is show a valid non-IL driver's license. You can even buy a firearm banned to residents by the State's "AWB" ban. Waiting period for all firearms is 3 days though.

While travelling in IL, the firearm must be:
    1. Broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. Not immediately accessible; or
    3. Unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

• Haha
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    The last time I drove to Colorado, I went to great pains to avoid driving through Illinois.
    Ended up at the confluence of a couple rivers with the narrowest bridges ive ever seen.

Is there any chance at all you could move to one of the IL border states and still take care of fil? My wife and I are mulling a move back to that region so we can be close to my family. I am absolutely not moving back to hellinois but I could move to WI or even a little further away to ne IA
    Ya, was thinking MO, since I will be working near Springfield.

Reactions: The D
    Ya, was thinking MO, since I will be working near Springfield.
    If you can make it work, do it. It’s no secret that IL is one of the worst run states and the less stolen tax $$ that goes into their coffers the better

I’m not saying I’ll never move back to hellinois but it will take a fucking lot to get me there.

Reactions: Anb618
    While travelling in IL, the firearm must be:
    1. Broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. Not immediately accessible; or
    3. Unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    This was actually recently ruled unconstitutional by federal court. I believe it was a case of NJ traveling into NY or similar with a gun.

Reactions: Pbgt
    While my inner jackass longs to make a less than empathetic comment about boot licking for your constitutionally guaranteed right to be armed, I will control that urge to encourage those living behind enemy lines to challenge this type of bullshit relentlessly.

Reactions: Anb618
    This was actually recently ruled unconstitutional by federal court. I believe it was a case of NJ traveling into NY or similar with a gun.
    This is the IL statutory language for all firearm transport, except if you have an IL concealed carry license.

There is an additional exception for out of state CCW holders, but you can’t get out of the car with your firearm because IL doesn’t recognize any other state’s CCW permit. You can drive straight through IL carrying your firearm, but if you get out at a rest stop you have to leave it in the car.

It’s retarded in unconstitutional, but is the current statutory law.