• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folder vs Non-Folder

Family Guy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
ohio
The title says it all. For you guys that run folders and non folders AICS, Mcrees, Manners and so on.

Do you consider it a necessity or a luxury, and how often (when) do you have it folded ? Just for storage and traveling from house to range or vehicle to range. Do you store folded or extended in your case ?

Anyone regret not getting the folding option or wish they hadn't for lack of use ?

Thanks a lot.

The folding option helps get the bolt out on an AI or LA R700. But it makes it less comfortable to grab the stock from above, from the top of the thumbhole.

I would consider it a luxury. I really only fold it when cleaning the barrel but that's every time I shoot so it ends up saving me some time. On an aics I would consider a fixed because you can get thumbwheels and cheekpiece spacers for repeatability. On a Mcree I would definitely go folder.

I have one of each of the McCree's, LA folder and SA non.
The non-folder sports a 19 in barrel, no problem with that one.

The long barrel on the folder would not fit in the safe if it were extended and the brake left on.
When folded, it fits real nice in the Pelican case and the drag bag. If the Pelican were long enough to fit it straight, it would not fit across the backseat of the truck
and would have to ride in the bed.
I have yet to need the folding function in the field, and don't forsee it in my future.

My next build will be a truck gun, that will be a folder just so that it will fit in this one spot behind the seat.

It's a luxury... don't need to take check pad off for removing the bolt, and it fits in an AR case for the fitting in the truck of the car. Worth it for me for the length of time I will own the rifle.

Yea I've noticed a lot of the AI's I see on here are the 2.0 versions. I just figured if I'm gonna spend the money for an AI I might as well just get the folder, But wanted to know more about the practicality of the feature. So they help with bolt removal on an AI but hender the use of the thumbweel and cheek piece spacers ?

I have a manners TF4. I like it, though hardly would consider it a neccessity.

I think if you were an operator or LEO, it would make things pretty convenient for getting a rifle in/out of cars and trucks regularly. But, generally speaking, those rifles will be 223 or 308 and wear shorter barrels to begin with, so it isn't a big problem anyway.

I hump my rifles around in an Eberlestock, and when moving from point to point, I don't fold the stock up because it makes the rifle quite wide, and it doesn't go in or come out of the pack very easily. This would be improved if the stock folded the other way. Because the stock folds to the left, and the bolt is on the right, the overall width of the rifle is increased quite a bit.

The hinge protrudes on the Manners, but when firing the rifle strongsided, you'll never notice the hinge. Firing weak-sided though, the hinge is uncomforatble and in the way.

The lockup of the Manners is excellent. When it is in the folded position, there is hardly any play at all. When the stock is unfolded and deployed, there is NO play. Very nice, and comes with a gaurantee to stay that way for life.

I kinda think the folding Manners is a no-brainer IF you were going to get an adjustable cheekpiece anyway, because the ACP comes with the folder standard, and only ends up adding a little cost, and it's very cool.

I like the fact that I can fold it up for storage. It also makes it easier to carry while folded with a 26" barrel. I like the look as well. The 2.0 fits my hand better than my old 1.5 model. Does it shoot better, I don't seem to think so, but the fact that I am more comfortable with the 2.0 could lead to better results.

Thanks for the all the feedback everyone. I hadn't seen a thread on the subject yet, though I'm sure one exists

Having had both folders and non-folding AI rifles. The folders makes for a world of convenience (cleaning, bolt removal, transport.)

The folder is convenience on an AI. I prefer it but if you get a non folder in an AI you can make bolt removal fast if you go to Home Depot and get some Derlin spacers to slip over the adjustable cheek piece stalks. Shave them to whatever hight you want and removal / replacement is 2sec.

I have the folder 2.0 and I use it to get the rifle in a shorter bag and when cleaning. Nice feature but for me not a requirement.

If you can swing it, get it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Resale is better as well.

I really like the folding aspect because it makes my AX fit in my gunslinger much nicer.

I have an AICS folder and am very happy I did it. I carry it in an Eberlestock pack, and with it folded it's less obvious what I'm carrying. It also lowers the center of gravity making the pack less top heavy.

The 2.0 is heavier than the 1.5. For me, that was a good thing. It might be something for you to consider.

I have to fold mine (R700) to get the bolt out, so it was worth it to me for that alone.

I have the XLR folder and like many others have said its a luxury in a eberle pack its nice because it can fold and doesn't stick up above your head...its solid lock up... usually its less then 100 to add that to a chassis...and since you allready spending around 1k might as well have it

Just bought a Mcree folder and debated over if I wanted a folder or non. I don't know if I will every really need it but I figure for 60 bucks more why not have that option? I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need/want it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will most likely end up with an AICS 2.0

Unfortunately I've found myself lusting over an AI mk3.

I'm torn on wether to just get the chassis or keep saving and training and get the complete rifle.

I have reinvented the wheel more than once with builds. I keep going back to my AIs. One of the most reliable, rugged and re sellable platforms out there. It can be cheaper in the long run if you want to go from .308 to .260 or change barrel length, just spin a new barrel on and you have a new rifle.

I have had my Stage 2 AICS for over a year now and I have to say I am glad I paid the extra $$$ over the non-folder. Transportability and the ease of removing the bolt on my R700 5R make it worth the money. Like others have said, assess your needs but if you can swing it, why not get the folder?

Three AICS 2.0 chassis here now, a McRee folder in the past. For me the appeal in the folding chassis comes down to a couple of things:

1. Can make it easier putting them in and out of my safe, especially my 338LM since it is pretty long overall.
2. Allows for a smaller hard case which helps as I travel overseas a few times a year.
3. Easier getting them in and out of the car.
4. Lower center of gravity in my packs.

I suppose there is a "cool" factor there too but my decision was based for the most part on what I thought would be the more practical choice given my needs.

I have the TRG folder. Bought as a 'demo' LE priced for same price as a non folder. It's neat and a gorgeous design. But I would not have paid the very high Sako premium for a folder.

That said, it is cool even though at a utility level it's not a huge plus. And for any other make that is not as pricey as the factory TRG folder... go for it. And for something like an AI or a KRG folder option, no brainer.

Comes down to... if you want it... get it. You'll be looking at lawn from the wrong side for a long time. Get the good stuff while you can.

Cheers,

Sirhr

For sport the folder is a convenience. It is usually easier to remove the bolt and you can fit it in a smaller case for travel. It sits lower in a pack and you really don't give anything up with the top end chassis.

For an operational Sniper it offers options that a fixed stock doesn't. A 16" .308 with a folding stock can go a lot of places unnoticed.

I have TRG folding and non-folding stocks. The folder makes it easier to get the bolt out without having to remove the cheek piece. Also, it is a bit more comfortable (for me) and I like the adjustments better.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will most likely end up with an AICS 2.0

Unfortunately I've found myself lusting over an AI mk3.

I'm torn on wether to just get the chassis or keep saving and training and get the complete rifle.

Keep saving, buy the real deal. I was in the same boat almost three years back. I was going to buy an AICS but knew I really wanted an AW. Ended up getting the AW, and never a regret since.

Keep saving, buy the real deal. I was in the same boat almost three years back. I was going to buy an AICS but knew I really wanted an AW. Ended up getting the AW, and never a regret since.

Yea, it seems like every person who's made the switch to AI doesn't look back.

That must mean something. Not to mention an outstanding track record. Thanks everyone.

McRee Gen 5 folder for all the reasons mentioned above: Store upright in safe, fits in drag bag/gun case, transportability in general.

Placed my order for an AICS 2.0 green 308 with eurooptics, now the wait begins.

Thanks for all the info everyone, hoping to make the AE plunge early next year, so the chassis should help me get used to the feel of the AE.

I hump my rifles around in an Eberlestock, and when moving from point to point, I don't fold the stock up because it makes the rifle quite wide, and it doesn't go in or come out of the pack very easily. This would be improved if the stock folded the other way. Because the stock folds to the left, and the bolt is on the right, the overall width of the rifle is increased quite a bit.

Been wondering about this for a while... why does nobody make a folder that swings to the *right*, and nestles the bolt handle in the off-side of the cheekpiece hardware? Doesn't one of the new fancy-schmancy PSR rifles (that cost more than my truck!) do that?

Been wondering about this for a while... why does nobody make a folder that swings to the *right*, and nestles the bolt handle in the off-side of the cheekpiece hardware? Doesn't one of the new fancy-schmancy PSR rifles (that cost more than my truck!) do that?

Yea the AI PSR quick change kit is the only one I know of that does.

That's unfortunately one rifle ill never touch or hold.

Main reason for it is that with the Remington 700 there's a lot of aftermarket bolt handles, so it would be hard for companies to design that. Drake Associates makes a 700 chassis that folds to the right. Also, right-side folders are fairly new, so they haven't really flooded the market yet.

I have an AI folder and can not remember that last time I even folded it. I would save the weight next time and go the non folder.

I like my non-folding AW. There is just something about the twang from the solid aluminum it has that rocks my socks. But I can see a big benefit of having a folder for cleaning.

I have an AICS folder on my R700, while I do like it, it's really not that important to me. The most it ever gets folded is when a friend sees it for the first time they have to fold it because it's cool. Which, to a guy in his mid 20's, that is pretty important.

If you ever take your rifle out in the field that (besides ease of cleaning and storage) is when the folder really shows it's benefit. I always thought it was a luxury until I had to spend some extended time out in the field in/out/on/off various types of vehicles and packing with gear. The folder proved it's weight in gold to me then.