• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folding mech mod on fixed stock

XMahkaihX

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I’ll start by saying I don’t care if I get made fun of for this. I have done some ridiculously crazy mods to my guns over the years that I was told “weren't possible.” But with enough home R&D and balls I made them work. I also haven’t seen this discussed hardly at all (because it’s nuts I know).

I have an old 700P with a Krieger barrel and reworked action that’s Cerakoted and all that jazz. Many years ago I also had the aluminum block milled to fit the action perfectly and bedded with marine Tex and cut the LOP to 12.5” and added a Limbsaver pad. The rifle will consistently shoot 3/8 MOA with factory match ammo and has always been reliable. But as I get older I despise lugging it around in a rifle length range bag, it’s just too long and modern adjustable chassis rifles can be as much as 10” shorter. But I don’t want to buy a chassis for it, I want to cut the stock at the back of the grip and route a folding mech in it. Even with the 18.5” barrel it’s too long, and I’m not cutting the barrel shorter lol.

The only ones I can find on the market that look small enough are the ACE push button and spring push models. Sadly Manners never sold their folding mechanism outside of the stock they made with it or I’d buy one and use it. I have ACE folding mechs on two of my AK’s from many years ago before Doublestar bought them with tens of thousands of rounds through them and a lot of field abuse, they’re still as solid today as they were new. So has anyone ever done this? Obviously the pin part of the mech would have to stick out of the stock for clearance when folded, which is fine, but I’d like to hear some thoughts before I buy the mechanism and mod it only to find out I should have bought something else instead.

Thanks all!!