• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Folding tactical knife shopping...

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
Yeah, I know. "Tactical"

Anyway, I'm looking for a folding pocket knife that can serve in a last ditch self defense/tacitcal role. I've got lots of edc knives now and pack pistols wherever legal, but we all know there are places you can't take your guns.

I've been doing some online shopping and fondling what I can find in stores and I've come up with a list of requirements that I'm finding make the list pretty darn short so I'm looking for suggestions.

-3.25-4 inch blade
-Good steel - M4, 390, s30/35v, etc., corrosion isn't really an issue for me, I'm mainly worried about edge retention.
-Grip that will lock in my hand if I have to use it for real
-Tip up carry
-Spring assist or auto, but I don't want a safety.
-liner or button lock, hate frame and spine locks

I've looked at micro techs, pro techs, benchmades, ZT, spyderco, crkt.

So far most of those have been eliminated for one reason or another. The ZT 0770 looks promising, but its on the smaller side and the grip seems pretty slick, more like and EDC... I also like the BM rukus 2, but its got the safety. The BM contego is alright as well, but opening is slow. The contego is about as large as I'd like to go as well.

Let's talk knives.

South Africans are making some of the finest folders in existence.
Loving my Jan Wahl (center knife)
2822866B-E758-42AA-A11C-BFA2D417E764.jpeg

IMO Thornburns are something that needs to be experienced. I’ve never felt a knife that opens like one.
9497C7A5-3C1D-4EA4-B298-A8F1CD999CDB.jpeg

BF612BF2-557B-4ED2-8E0E-51D011E6F3FA.jpeg

Have you looked at the Spyderco Smock?

S30V
liner lock with button release
handle is a little thin but it carries well
flipper blade, not assisted but flips well
tip up carry

Reactions: erslll
Love and abuse my Emersons.
My EDC,,,so old can't remember the model #

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_142047585.jpg
    IMG_20200302_142047585.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 62
I looked at Emerson too, but damn near everything he does is in 154cm steel. Not bad stuff, but not my favorite either.

If I can compromise on the 154CM, the Emerson sheepdog looks good. the flipper is on a bearing so it should be pretty quick/smooth. A little googling says they did a run of them with S35MV, but those are about double the price and hard to find.

Anybody have a sheepdog they would like to comment on?

If I can compromise on the 154CM, the Emerson sheepdog looks good. the flipper is on a bearing so it should be pretty quick/smooth. A little googling says they did a run of them with S35MV, but those are about double the price and hard to find.

Anybody have a sheepdog they would like to comment on?

Mine has been a great knife the last several years. Buy with confidence. It has held up to general purpose farm use and a lot of resharpening

Reactions: Austinjunks
Have Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Goddard and others, but have been carrying a Medford Smooth Criminal for about 6 months and like it quite a bit. Sits point up, pretty deep in pocket, wickedly sharp S35 blade. Enough backbone that should be able to absorb some serious abuse. 4BF83533-D93E-4150-839B-CBEF35B7CFC5.jpeg28E18D32-4346-42FB-9FEC-435B6EA579A6.jpeg

Reactions: Austinjunks
Because its going to be pocket carried along with my phone and whatever else I need to stuff in there.

I have a Gerber Propel down range that I like. Grippy scales, tip up, S30V, 3.5" plain tanto but it does have a safety. I've carried it safety off and have yet to cut my dick off. Want stupid big? Picked up a Hogue EX-A05 spear point. 4" blade, CPM154 blade (bad?), tip up, aluminum scales so maybe slick (feel like an anodize over bead blast), also has a safety and I have yet to attempt to carry safety off, and opens fast! The Gerber is a nice normal automatic, the Hogue is a beast of a knife that sits very deep in the pocket and has no logical purpose! :LOL:
Gerber Propel.jpg

EX-A05.jpg

+1 for PRO-TECH this tr-4 is daily carried for over 2 years now of hard service and is amazing. Still opens great never had a lock failure and I never use the safety lock.
20200414_091539.jpg

I've had this Zt 0562cf for 5 years now. Its practically corrosion proof with the cts 204p and titanium frame. Also has a really solid lock up from my experience.
20201222_102431.jpg