• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Follow Up: COVFEFE vs BRCC (the actual Coffee, not the Politics)

Fx51LP308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2021
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Well, I've had my new DeLonghi machine for 1 month now, and I think I've figured it out, finally. Chief take away being, "be careful not to grind too fine." My grinder goes up to 30 seconds. And if I grind that long, it's really nice and fine, and it produces fantastically flavored coffee (when I use Covfefe), but at a price. It makes the pressure pump on the DeLonghi strain a little. It starts out, delivering streams out of the dual spout but it quickly it turns to droplets and it takes more than 5 minutes to draw a full carafe (that I used to draw with my old Sowtech machine). If i decrease the grind time down to 18-20 seconds, it's a little corser, and the flavor is not "as strong" (but still pretty darn strong anyway), and the pressure pump does not strain. I get the same full carafe in less than 2 minutes. It's a constant stream, and the crema is much better and richer.

It looks like (as soon as I get rid of all my other pre-ground coffee) I'll be buying a one 1lb bag of Covfefe Maga Dark Roast Beans per month and store it in my Coffee Vault. I'll then try to rid myself somehow of the ground coffee I have. I have two big 2.3 lb containers of "Bustello" ground coffee to dispatch. I will not waste it. Coffee is too expensive to not use it. I actually also bought one of those Moka pots to help make something out of the other grinds I have.

iu

Unfortunately, I learned that:

1) This pot does not produce true "Espresso" but something only close to it. I"ll see if tastes any different.

2) I heard that Aluminum Moka pots have issues about unsafe metal emissions, but that they're coated inside with something that reduces or eliminates those emissions. We'll see.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

Reactions: Steel head
    Well, I've had my new DeLonghi machine for 1 month now, and I think I've figured it out, finally. Chief take away being, "be careful not to grind too fine." My grinder goes up to 30 seconds. And if I grind that long, it's really nice and fine, and it produces fantastically flavored coffee (when I use Covfefe), but at a price. It makes the pressure pump on the DeLonghi strain a little. It starts out, delivering streams out of the dual spout but it quickly it turns to droplets and it takes more than 5 minutes to draw a full carafe (that I used to draw with my old Sowtech machine). If i decrease the grind time down to 18-20 seconds, it's a little corser, and the flavor is not "as strong" (but still pretty darn strong anyway), and the pressure pump does not strain. I get the same full carafe in less than 2 minutes. It's a constant stream, and the crema is much better and richer.

It looks like (as soon as I get rid of all my other pre-ground coffee) I'll be buying a one 1lb bag of Covfefe Maga Dark Roast Beans per month and store it in my Coffee Vault. I'll then try to rid myself somehow of the ground coffee I have. I have two big 2.3 lb containers of "Bustello" ground coffee to dispatch. I will not waste it. Coffee is too expensive to not use it. I actually also bought one of those Moka pots to help make something out of the other grinds I have.

iu

Unfortunately, I learned that:

1) This pot does not produce true "Espresso" but something only close to it. I"ll see if tastes any different.

2) I heard that Aluminum Moka pots have issues about unsafe metal emissions, but that they're coated inside with something that reduces or eliminates those emissions. We'll see.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!
    I ran one of those Moka Pots for a few years, here. Thing is, it works "just as good on the boat" as it does in the house. I made a few tweaks to it, so that it worked better for me and my liking. Then I moved up to an Aeropress. They've been touted to me for years, but I never looked hard, nor came across one till last Spring or so. I use that now. At home, and on the boat.

I gotta say though, I too like the taste/flavour when the coffee is ground fine. And at the same time, it is the hardest to press as well as 'clogs up' the Moka Pot. So I'm truly thinking about building myself a portable, manual press that I can "squeeze-the-ever-loving-shit-outta" to get the morning Espresso that I want. (that's a technical term) I've seen a few different devices while searching around, and the cubic dollars that they are asking for a few pieces of stock that are 'anodized' is just insane in my books.

First, stainless steel is way-cool/more-gooder than aluminum.
    Second, interrupted threads are THE way to go. Duuuuhhhhh.
    Levers, flucrums, Bell-Cranks, and cams really do move the world.

It's gonna happen. And nearly fit in your pocket. (gotta be stowable) that's another technical term. Merry Christmas and,

Happy New Year

Oh yeah,,,,, throw that 'blade/blender' style grinder away, or set it aside specifically for doing spices ONLY.

If you're going to think you'll appreciate coffee, and its nuances, then get a CONICAL BURR GRINDER. Full Stop. Do Not Pass GO. End the search there and call it done.

Aeropress and burr grinder for the win.

If you have any ground coffee left after a brew you are grinding too much. Grind brew, not grind save.

Vacuum seal that ground coffee for the end times. Life is too short to drink a sub perfect cup of Joe.

BugIn

I think I'm good with the DeLonghi and my Moka pot, but I'll definitely consider the Burr Grinder. THey are a tad pricey, but it would seem worth it.

I think I'm good with the DeLonghi and my Moka pot, but I'll definitely consider the Burr Grinder. THey are a tad pricey, but it would seem worth it.
    You'll need to do some research, many burr grinders claim to do espresso, but most do not.
    Your entry level espresso capable grinders start around 200 bucks.
    By the way, many folks use the blade grinders, you just have to agitate them, grind, shake, grind.

Those grinders utterly destroy the integrity of the beans and ruin the flavor. You need to have your man grind the coffee slowly by hand, with mortar and pestle, to release all the flavor cleanly without ruining the rectitude of the coffee. Then you must brew under 16 bar of pressure for at least three hours to ensure that the trochaic oils have a chance to fully seep and render. You are basically drinking dirty dish water.

Finally you cannot serve a decent cup of coffee that has not been filtered at least once (and preferably three times) through the baleen of mysticeti. And, not just any baleen. But of course only that which is harvested during the height of lek mating.

You guys are such amateurs.

tumblr_nhca67EGE71rvvk7ho1_500.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel+Killer
    Quality burr grinder is a must, makes a giant difference!
    Possibly the most important part of the process.
    Scale can really step up your game.
    Thermometer can be quite helpful.

With the moka pot fill it with boiling water instead of cold water, makes a lot more flavorful and clean cup.

I use a stainless bialetti, aeropress and pour over.
    All have attributes and some coffees I prefer one method over another.

I’d say the aeropress can get the closest to espresso but I generally prefer standard brewing over espresso.

If you bloom then get the grind and amounts right the moka/bialetti can produce a beverage that’s amazing with a nice cigar or dessert.

97ED0070-F895-4D24-A75E-A5204331055D.jpeg

Quality burr grinder is a must, makes a giant difference!

With the moka pot fill it with boiling water instead of cold water, makes a lot more flavorful and clean cup.

I use a stainless bialetti, aeropress and pour over.
    All have attributes and some coffees I prefer one method over another.

I’d say the aeropress can get the closest to espresso but I generally prefer standard brewing over espresso.

If you bloom then get the grind and amounts right the moka/bialetti can produce a beverage that’s amazing with a nice cigar or dessert.

I just brewed my first Moka Pot this morning. To my surprise, the flavor was wonderfully strong. And i was using that "Kick ass" ground coffee my Mom gave me. I look forward to what the "Bustello" tastes like. The only issue being, the "yield" was not as much as I'd hoped for. After the Moka pot cooled down (I ran the outer base under cold fawcet water), I opened it and there was whole lot of brackish water (I think what was in the filter just dropped down). I know that my full original carafe I use on the machines holds exactly the amount of water in the Moka base to go just up to the emergency valve, but not over it. And I know the upper chamber can hold the exact same amount without overflowing (but it's close... it will touch the spout by a bit). I know I'm supposed to take it off the heat before it becomes "bitter," but I wonder how I can get more of a yield (i.e. more water through the filter and up to the upper chamber) while not allowing it to burn. Can I keep it on the burner a little longer than is advised? Or, perhaps, I should not cool it so quickly under running cold water and just let it brew until it cools.

???

Reactions: n0glock
    I just brewed my first Moka Pot this morning. To my surprise, the flavor was wonderfully strong. And i was using that "Kick ass" ground coffee my Mom gave me. I look forward to what the "Bustello" tastes like. The only issue being, the "yield" was not as much as I'd hoped for. After the Moka pot cooled down (I ran the outer base under cold fawcet water), I opened it and there was whole lot of brackish water (I think what was in the filter just dropped down). I know that my full original carafe I use on the machines holds exactly the amount of water in the Moka base to go just up to the emergency valve, but not over it. And I know the upper chamber can hold the exact same amount without overflowing (but it's close... it will touch the spout by a bit). I know I'm supposed to take it off the heat before it becomes "bitter," but I wonder how I can get more of a yield (i.e. more water through the filter and up to the upper chamber) while not allowing it to burn. Can I keep it on the burner a little longer than is advised? Or, perhaps, I should not cool it so quickly under running cold water and just let it brew until it cools.

???
    When I first got mine I was taking it off the burner to quick and noticed a good bit of water left in the bottom chamber. So now I leave it on the burner just until mostly steam starts to come up. It leaves very little water in the bottom chamber and I don't feel like I am burning the coffee.

Edit to add: Even though I know it says not to go above the safty valve I somtimes do go just above and haven't blown up my kitchen yet.
    I also load way pass book max and still got both eyes.....LOL

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fx51LP308

???
    Yea
    I don’t try and be greedy because that bit extra comes up as hot steam and scorches the coffee bringing up bitter flavors

You'll need to do some research, many burr grinders claim to do espresso, but most do not.
    Your entry level espresso capable grinders start around 200 bucks.
    By the way, many folks use the blade grinders, you just have to agitate them, grind, shake, grind.
    Many people don't know their own gender. I have to wonder the overlap between these two sets of "many people."