• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Follower binding in my stock remington

Tbag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2009
FL
Have a couple year old 308 Tactical with the standard floor plate and stamped metal follower. At times when loaded the rear of the ammo seems to either dip or get ever so slightly get hung up as to allow the bolt to ride over the ammo and not load. Then typically I would need to push down on the tip of the bullet or dump the ammo out the bottom. Any help would be appreciated as to what I should be looking for, I suspect may be a new follower as I've read that the newer stock ones are less than optimal.

Re: Follower binding in my stock remington

Could be lots of things. Are you sure that you have the correct follower for 308 and are your rounds too long (COAL)? Also are the spring and mag box sitting properly between the action, stock and floor plate? I have had a few BDL's where feeding benefited from bending the spring to provide more pressure fore or aft to the follower. Do not try and tweak the spring at an existing bend; do any bending a little away from the existing bends. Two pairs of needle nose pliers side by side can be used to bend and modify the spring pressure. There was a pretty good post on how to do this about 3-4 years ago. Bending the spring is not difficult but it does take some practice (patience). Besides that, springs are cheap.

Thanks for the reply. I've only shot various types of factory ammo. I would assume it's the proper follower as this was what came from the factory, but I know what happens when one assumes too much. It would appear the box mag is seated ok, but after reading a bit how it should ever so slightly be floated it makes me wonder if a portion of my issue may have to do with the box mag. It's a tight fit for the box between the action and floor plate.

Floating the mag box benefits accuracy more than feeding issues....

Is there any dirt, grime, grit, or rust on the walls of the mag box that will drag on the follower?

Is there a slight burr or sharp edge on the follower that drags on the wall of the mag box?

When you load the mag well, do you make an effort to seat all the cartridges as far back in the mag as possible?

How many are you normally loading up?

Along with what has already been said replace the stamped follower with a solid follower the stamped versions are crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Along with what has already been said replace the stamped follower with a solid follower the stamped versions are crap. </div></div>

Think I'll take this to the bank, or brownells.

I seat them back, no dirt/rust/grime and really no hanging sharp edges although after I ran my finger on the bottom a couple spots could be dulled I guess. Nothing I'd feel that would cause this. I suspect the dimensions of the stamped follower are more likely the issue.

So whats a solid follower going for these days?