• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

food

Francqua

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Portland, OR
Who makes the best tasting freeze dried (long shelf life) meals? I realized this might be a contradiction in terms!

Re: food

I've only ever had Mountain House. The couple pouches I've tried to test were pretty damn good. A major downside (for me) is they are very high in sodium. I'm not sure if the stuff in the #10 cans is the same way or not.

Oh, and it's expensive.

I prefer the Mountain House food too myself when backpacking. Better tasting than MRE's and packs better.

I prefer mountain house, but wise food is a close 2nd. You can order the wise food in the stackable pails, which store better than the #10 cans. I would suggest getting a couple single serving pouches from your local outdoor store to find which ones you like, if you are going to buy in bulk. My favorites are the lasagne with meat sauce and beef stroganoff from mountain house.

As said before Mountain House is good and made here in Oregon. I have also had Backpackers Pantry and Alpine Aire.

I think some menus from all brands are very good and some not so good. Some trial and error and personal preference involved.

If you are really stocking up check out Costco.com. They have a lot of emergency preparedness food and supplies.

+1 on Mountain House here.

Not sure what the application is, but once you're hungry enough, a lot of things become delicious that otherwise weren't before.

Mountain House is good quality and has some really good meals. The lasagna is really excellent as is the beef stroganhoff. Some of the MH meals are not so tasty. I'd give them a try to see what you like before puchasing in bulk.

lol you guys and your freeze dried food.

Got me thinking about the old LRP Rations, forgot who made them. Anyway I liked the Beef and Rice so I had my wife fix some for dinner.

Not freeze dried but brown gravey, elk burger, over rice. Pretty good.

Brought back memories.

Amyone remember the Indiginious Rations from Vietnam. Fish Heads and Rice.

Some where (I forgot where, it was a while ago) I read where there was a reasonable way to freeze dry your own rations.

Anyone know about that??

DIY freeze drying isn't exactly a "budget" operation.

However, you can get away for relatively short term with simple dehydration then vacuum sealing.