• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fooling around on the lathe today..Bolt KNobs

dondlhmn

RLO
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2013
Reno, NV, USA for now
Got to fooling around with some aluminum on the lathe today and made a couple of test/trial/practice bolt knobs. One is a little small with no knurling and the other might be too big, but I wanted to try making some knurling that isn't so aggressive as to be abrasive and/or annoying in use. These two are my first stab at making knobs...they have a 5/16 X 24 tpi threaded hole in the ends you can't see in the pics. I just thought it would be fun to get an idea and to try some stuff that you don't see on every other gun at the matches....Couple pf pics attached. bolt kobs.jpgbolt knob 3.jpg

How did you secure the shell case? Press fit? I like it.

How did you secure the shell case? Press fit? I like it.
Right now the case heads are stuck in there with a VERY light press fit...they come out pretty easy. I will probably use some EPOXY to put them in permanently when I figure out which ways winds up being UP when the are put on a bolt. Confession here...I don't have a 300 Win Mag, but used a piece of that brass because I screwed up and cut the hole that a .308 head size would be in a couple of thou oversize. Went and looked in my "picked up at the range" box and found what I needed...a MAGNUM case with a larger head that I could cut to fit in the oooopsy! hole.

And thanks...Glad you guys liked them...I just wanted to make something kind of MY STYLE as long as I was playing around. PERSONAL that you don't see everywhere.... I will probably cut that big one down some and use it on a rifle......maybe the little one, too. BUT, I did learn some stuff while fooling around, too and that's what I wanted.

These are very unique and I like them. Thank you for posting them and sharing with us.

My favorite tool was the lathe. I am jealous.
Yeah...and I am jealous of that shooting mat/case you have. I WANT ONE!!

Target Master!! How are you? Hey...you got a .22? A bunch of us are going out to the County range nest Saturday to do a test run on a smallbore match. You could maybe have some fun at that with us, huh?

Yeah...and I am jealous of that shooting mat/case you have. I WANT ONE!!

Target Master!! How are you? Hey...you got a .22? A bunch of us are going out to the County range nest Saturday to do a test run on a smallbore match. You could maybe have some fun at that with us, huh?

No, I do not have a .22. They are so boring to me.

This Saturday is out anyways. I am so looking forward to March 8 BABY!! You can drool over my shooting mat then. OR, better yet, try this link you old dodgy bastard: Amazon.com: Deluxe Shooters Mat and Carry Case, Olive Drab: Sports & Outdoors

By the way, why haven't you accepted my friend request on here yet? (Actually, I think I just sent it like two seconds ago)

DSCF0215.jpg

My wife thinks I have gone off of the deep end...BUT more fooling around today produced this "extension" knob.........this is kind of FUN!! :D

Attachments

• DSCF0214.jpg
    DSCF0214.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 7
I sure miss those days. Bored at work, make something useful for at home/play. I ran a CNC wire the last couple years at G.M. Delphi and had access to all the other machines. Miss those days BAD !!!
Made the coolest Harley shift linkages that no one else had. Well, no one except the OTHER couple machinists involved in the different steps.

DSCF0221.jpgDSCF0219.jpgBolt Knob made smaller.jpgMore fooling around...and went and cut and threaded the bolt for a Varmint barreled HOWA 1500 I have that will someday be a project...this will just have to be part of it, I guess. My buddy Chris came into my shop last night and I showed him what I was doing. He said "So what are you calling this the PIMP YOUR BOLT project"? Well, I guess so. Anyway here are a couple or three pics with the bold knob ground off and the new "pimp" knobs!! The one with the bolt all black, including the original knob is how is started out. I still have some stuff left to do to make the bolt handle all nice and smooth by polishing or grinding it down a little to take the small irregularities out of it and then be-blue it.

I'm thinking that the long "extended" knob is kind of ugly, so I'll probably turn the "snout" off of it or at least make it maybe half the length it is.....other than that I kind of like that one.

Last edited: