• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For a lighter moment, a trivia question, ONLY for those of you born after 1980

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
In a song by the group, “The Association” Six Man Band, appeaars the line

“…..the seventeen jewels that dictate the rules….”

What does the “seventeen jewels” refer too?

17 jewels would mean its a cheap ass watch and not a Rolex

My Moonwatch only has 18? If the song is referring to a watch movement, I am curious as to which one.
download - 2023-12-29T230703.239.jpeg

Rolex watches typically have between 31 and 52 jewels, depending on the specific model and movement used in the watch. The jewels in a Rolex watch are typically synthetic rubies or sapphires used as bearings in the mechanical action of the eye.
View attachment 8309161

But, adding more jewels and making the movement more complex makes it expensive, not good.

I take it you are going to keep ignoring the 17 jewel Rolex movement above?

Reactions: JimTN
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 17 jewels is the requirement for a mechanical watch to be considered "fully jeweled." I'm guessing that that is the significance? I'm not a watch expert but I've had a few. IME, more complicated doesn't automatically equal better.

From my admittedly very rudimentary understanding, if the main components of a watches movement (typically around 17), not including additional complications, are jeweled, it is considered "fully jeweled, and meets the standard that the line refers to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 17 jewels is the requirement for a mechanical watch to be considered "fully jeweled." I'm guessing that that is the significance? I'm not a watch expert but I've had a few. IME, more complicated doesn't automatically equal better.
Beat me to it.

Anyone born after 1980 isn't old enough to know anything regardless, so this is a fail from the very start.

If you disagree, you're only proving my point and don't know what you don't know.
As a Reagan baby, I fully agree with your statement. I don't know fuck all, just ask my pops.

Y’all Pretty much Nailed It!

As far as value or cost of the watch, in 1968 when the song “Six Man Band” (later titled ”Seven Man Band” on their “Live” album) $400.00 that was mentioned was a fairly large sum. The average income was $7700.00 per year and high end rifles like the Weatherby MK V typically cost around $300.00. A nice Ferrari, such as the Daytona would set you back for about $12,000.00.

So, 400 for a watch would might not be top of the line but it could get you a good one. Models of Rolex watches could be had for around $230.00.

Good going Gentleman, y’all have proven a point. Today’s flyover men are intelligent, knowledgeable and Damned Smart. I am getting a bit pissed that coastal elite news broadcasters and commentators keep referring to us as ignorant, uneducated hicks.

Reactions: BCP
i mean, you're close...and by close, i mean off by an order of magnitude.

View attachment 8309197
View attachment 8309198

View attachment 8309196
Rolex makes watches for the poors as well , but if your not poor then you would be wearing

Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Meteorite Dial Rose Gold Mens.....​

17 Jewels could be referring to King's Crown which rules....

Y’all Pretty much Nailed It!

As far as value or cost of the watch, in 1968 when the song “Six Man Band” (later titled ”Seven Man Band” on their “Live” album) $400.00 that was mentioned was a fairly large sum. The average income was $7700.00 per year and high end rifles like the Weatherby MK V typically cost around $300.00. A nice Ferrari, such as the Daytona would set you back for about $12,000.00.

So, 400 for a watch would might not be top of the line but it could get you a good one. Models of Rolex watches could be had for around $230.00.

Good going Gentleman, y’all have proven a point. Today’s flyover men are intelligent, knowledgeable and Damned Smart. I am getting a bit pissed that coastal elite news broadcasters and commentators keep referring to us as ignorant, uneducated hicks.
Pretty sure almost all the reponsees were born before '80.

You can't get an intelligent response from anyone going forwarded from 1960, fucking hippies and drugs.