• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing For all you Gunsmiths

awaken

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2006
Brisbane / Australia
I got a great deal on a Rem 700P chambered in 6.8 SPC. I have been reading about the 6.5x47 Lapua of late.

Is it viable (possible) to convert my 6.8 to 6.5 x 47?

I dont know a great deal about the smithing side of things so please give me your thoughts..

Dave

Re: For all you Gunsmiths

Not a gunsmith, but....
Don't know your gun laws. Can you own more than 1 rifle?
I ask because it may be easier/cheaper to start from scratch depending on what you want out of it.

Well, anything is possible. I'd measure the bolt face though, I don't know if remington has a dedicated bolt face size for the 6.8. I'd imagine they would so it would have to be opened up. Other than that, give 'er.

The bolt face would have to be opened up for the 6.5x47 case head (.473) and a new barrel would have to be fit and chambered.

Not sure how far you are from wildbill. He is a member here from Australia. He could probably help you out.

Give shane clancy a call, he'll be able to help you out for sure. Let me know how you go as it may be my next project in line after the 223.

cheers,

JJ

You could do a 6.8x47 (.277) but not the 6.5 (.264). Bolt will have to be opened up and an extractor installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could do a 6.8x47 (.277) but not the 6.5 (.264). Bolt will have to be opened up and an extractor installed.</div></div>

local gunsmith/enginering shop said it was good to go..
new barrel and supply and fit sako style extractor

Dave