• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ? for Burris XTR Guys

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
Here is what I have, I am building a 22,250 Varmint rig.
The shooting I will be doing is about 70% at targets from the bench out to 600yds , 20% at Ground squirrels in that same range area and 10% at other things like Coyotes.
I want the Burris XTR 6-24X50 with Ballistic Mil-dot and 1moa-.5moa clicks but I would like some of you Burris XTR owners to tell me what you think about your scopes now that they have been out for a while. Have they been holding up well?
What do you like or dislike about the scopes and are they really worth the $$.

The 6-24X50 is selling for around $950-$980 right now.

Re: ? for Burris XTR Guys

I had one of the first XTR scopes when they came out. 3-12X though. It was great for me. Tracked true. Only complaint was the fat stadia lines. A ground squirrel at 600 yds might disappear in the reticle. Other than that, I wish I hadn't sold mine when I did.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Captain Kick-Ass </span>See I’m glad you mentioned the reticle, that might be a problem for me, I like a thin reticle for most of my shooting.
If you don’t mind, What did you have it on and how did the reticle match the ballistics of your gun?

actually I just had the plain mil-dot reticle. I don't think the ballistic mil-dot was available back then. It was on a 700P in .308

Have a 3-12x w/illum ballistic mil-dot.

Turrets are very good and track fine. 16moa per revolution. Almost 100moa of elevation on my application. Turret movement is 6+ complete revolutions of elevation from a 100yd zero.

I like the reticle very much, prefer the heavier stadia lines. Like the illum switch position and parallax adj. Don't care much for the length of the occular lens element. I use a longrange prone mount which extends 3" out over the barrel to have the occular lens on same plane with the bolt cocking indicator. Like all the occular correction to fine-tune the reticle. Not objectionably heavy. Eye relief varies according to magnification.

Shop for a deal and buy the optional sunshade.

Maybe not a bragging-rights scope, but as a riflesight, it is a fine instrument and very versatile. The reticle offers lots of opportunities for fast reaction shooting.

Thanks for your input.
Back about twelve years ago when I very first started getting in to shooting heavily I had a BSA 8-32X44 platinum on my 22,250. I just thought it was normal to have to re-zero my scope every couple of times I went out, LOL.
I don’t want any of that again.

Hey <span style="font-weight: bold">Swamper</span> How well does your reticle match your rifles ballistics for quick shots? What Cal are you shooting?

If some of you have info ( Good/Bad ) about this scope that you don’t want to post on the open forum
Please feel free to PM me.

have those ground pigs come up yet,? I remember when i lived there we would shoot 600 + rounds a day on those things. AS for the glass you asked about i have the same model you are looking at i have had it for 6 months or so . no problems to report yet tracks true & straight turrets are nice & solid. I have mine on a .223 good to go all day at 600yds. Up here we have these things called rock-chucks not many of those little pigs man i miss shooting the hell out of those things!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have those ground pigs come up yet,? I remember when i lived there we would shoot 600 + rounds a day on those things. AS for the glass you asked about i have the same model you are looking at i have had it for 6 months or so . no problems to report yet tracks true & straight turrets are nice & solid. I have mine on a .223 good to go all day at 600yds. Up here we have these things called rock-chucks not many of those little pigs man i miss shooting the hell out of those things!!! </div></div>

Yes they are starting to come out and the best thing is they are at the shooting range too. I wish I had some Rock Chucks to shoot at.
It is good to hear that your scope is working good at 600, That is about as far as I will be using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one of the first XTR scopes when they came out. 3-12X though. It was great for me. Tracked true. Only complaint was the fat stadia lines. A ground squirrel at 600 yds might disappear in the reticle. Other than that, I wish I hadn't sold mine when I did. </div></div>

+1 on all the above. I have two XTR's on my "twins", two FNH PBR XR's with one in 308 and then one in 300WSM. I got a deal on the rifles and the scopes (both are 3-12, standard mildot) and use they're the ones that I take hunting (solid performing enough to do everything I want them to do, but not so expensive that I have a meltdown if something were to happen to them). I've been overall surprised since I thought the 300WSM would shake it, but it hasn't so far through approx 150 rounds, many more through the 308. Tracks fine, decent clicks, have taken a bump or two without problem. I agree that their reticle is probably going to cover ground squirrels at 600, but like I mentioned, I have the standard mildot. It's one of the scopes I've suggested to people who are newer to long range, but are serious about it. Just like Swamper was mentioning, it has a lot of the adjustments that are pertinent to long range and so someone can seriously use it and develop and sharpen their skills...all while having some extra funds to spend on ammo. No, you're not going to get a lot of people asking to check it out and fondle it out of lack of "wow" factor...but I've never regretted the purchase and could have dropped a lot more $$ on something that hasn't performed any better. Can't speak of their customer service, I've never had to contact them due to a problem. Hope it's of some help. -A

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">a-train</span>
I have had my 300WSM ruin a scope that I thought was .50bmg proof ( wont mention names, they have great CS ) So it is good to hear yours is holding up so well on 300wsm and 308, that is a plus.
What do you think about the Glass?

At the range you mean the one out buy the highway. I think national guard used it for awhile or the one at the end of bullion rd. That would be the P.D. range i got to shoot that one once nice range. I will have to come down & see some family & do some Varmitt Control!! you no about a place called BEOWOWEE dont you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the range you mean the one out buy the highway. I think national guard used it for awhile or the one at the end of bullion rd. That would be the P.D. range i got to shoot that one once nice range. I will have to come down & see some family & do some Varmitt Control!! you no about a place called BEOWOWEE dont you? </div></div>

The shooting range is north west of the Air port about 5 miles.
Yes I do know BEOWOWEE but I havnt hunted that area before.

If you look on my website you'll see the XTR is a recommended product of mine. I'm no operator or uber-ninja, just someone teaching the basics to get into competition like F T/R and stuff. It is the least expensive scope I suggest someone goes with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">a-train</span>
I have had my 300WSM ruin a scope that I thought was .50bmg proof ( wont mention names, they have great CS ) So it is good to hear yours is holding up so well on 300wsm and 308, that is a plus.
</div></div>

Of course it's just one opinion, but I'd say it's not bad. I've had friends and people at the range with crap scopes shoot a few rounds through both of them, and they always seem to say, "wow, that's really clear"...which of course is different than my USO where someone says, "Mother-f&*ker' I can see the future through this scope!" So it is MUCH better quality than most of the low-end stuff, but obviously no USO or S&B. Color differentiation has been good enough to spot hogs in fairly thick brush, but TX hogs can be pretty good size.

I have a thing for short mags (270WSM, 7MM WSM, and a 300WSM), which I expected to have the 300 put the XTR down pretty quick and then I'd be calling about their "forever warranty." You might hear different from me after putting more rounds through it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would've been pretty disappointed to have a problem with (any) "tactical" scope on a 308...the most commonly used tactical caliber (for bolt, at least). Sorry to hear about your 300wsm casualty. -A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-train</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">a-train</span>
</div></div>

Of course it's just one opinion, but I'd say it's not bad. I've had friends and people at the range with crap scopes shoot a few rounds through both of them, and they always seem to say, "wow, that's really clear"...which of course is different than my USO where someone says, "Mother-f&*ker' I can see the future through this scope!" So it is MUCH better quality than most of the low-end stuff, but obviously no USO or S&B. Color differentiation has been good enough to spot hogs in fairly thick brush, but TX hogs can be pretty good size.

I have a thing for short mags (270WSM, 7MM WSM, and a 300WSM), which I expected to have the 300 put the XTR down pretty quick and then I'd be calling about their "forever warranty." You might hear different from me after putting more rounds through it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would've been pretty disappointed to have a problem with (any) "tactical" scope on a 308...the most commonly used tactical caliber (for bolt, at least). Sorry to hear about your 300wsm casualty. -A </div></div>

I don’t think I need the clarity of USO to kill Varmints, Yes it would be nice to have a top brand for every gun I own but I cant afford it like some of the bastards on this forum LOL.

I need to cash it in for the Night Guys, Got Work in the Mornning.

I will check in after work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey <span style="font-weight: bold">Swamper</span> How well does your reticle match your rifles ballistics for quick shots? What Cal are you shooting?
</div></div>

The Ballistic Mil-Dot hold-over hashmarks are at about 3, 6, 9, 12, 19moa. From reticle center to lower post aiming point is about 24moa. This was measured by the grid on a bushnell 74-3333 collimator.

I just moved this scope to a .308win mod 70. It is the only rifle I have a long-ass base for. The scope has about 4" oal from the magnification ring to the rear bc flip-up. Not really very comfortable on any of my other rifles which all have normal length scope rails, and require me to mount the scope with the occular about 3" further back, almost behind the pistol grip.

I load a fairly mild 168gr match load to use interchangeably in AR-10 and bolt rifles at about 2600fps. Based on the collimator grid I have about 100moa of elevation from a 100 or 200yd zero.

I just have the mil dot 3-12. Nice scope, but big. I have a few minor complaints, though.

-I don't like the "football" mil dots. I don't think this is a problem on the ballistic mil dot.
-I don't like that the whole eyepiece turns when changing magnification. It's a PITA when you have a scope cap on.
-The numbers on the eyepiece assy that indicate magnification are very small and hard to read. Wish they would have made them a little bigger.
-The turret screws strip easily. I wish they had used a slightly bigger screw - like the M1 knobs on the luppy or the Nikon Tactical's knobs.

Those are my only complaints. Make an etched glass reticle with the 2/10ths mildots, make the power ring seperate from the eyepiece, bigger numbers, and more robust and larger turret screws, and I'm a happy camper.

I bought one of the first 3-12x50mm models when they were released. Went on my 700PSS and fell in love. I'm not an operator but I like one well placed precision shot. I don't have the money for a Nightforce, USO, S&B, or Leupy so for the best bang for the buck was the Burris XTR.

The scope tracks very nicely with well defined clicks and I love the turrets.

Fast forward a year later when they released the 6-24x50mm model and I picked up one of those and it landed on my 700PSS and my 3-12 model found home on a 24" Fluted Bull Barrel AR15.

I like the 6-24 model better because of the 1" clicks in elevation. They are great scopes for those of us who can't spend $1500 on glass but want quality glass with quality internals.

Brandon

Between the PM s and the stuff you guys have been telling me I
Have got 1 person that says NO way, a couple who say it would be better if it were built differently and every one else seems to think it is a pretty good scope.
I may need a longer scope base and the Reticle may end up being to thick but I think it will be a good scope to try. If it doesn’t work for me I will be selling it soon.
I am pretty sure I am going to order a XTR tonight .

Ok it is ordered.

I will post some Pics and give my opinion after I have a little time to play with it.

I like mine just fine. Sure, there are other scopes that are shorter and lighter but for a comparable and/or marginally better performance they are probably much more expensive too. Plus, Burris does have a no b.s. warranty from what I've been told.

For me, a 1 or even a .5 MOA adjustment at distances of 600+ yds would be a bit large of an adjustment increment for small targets like ground squirrels and the X on a target. Sure, a good shooter can hit them regardless of the adjustment but I would want a quarter MOA because you might find your rifle/ammo/shooter combo might outshoot that large of an adjustment which will force you to do more educated estimations vice set clicks...if you're being super picky anyways. I just personally hate it when I have a one MOA adjustable scope and when I zero it my scope/rifle/ammo combo will not hit dead center on the bullseye because one click left or right or up or down moves it off dead center! Just food for thought.

so this is kinda a different question but I have it narrowed down between a burris xtr or a trijicon accu point scope. does anyone have any opinions on this? they are close in price and both seem to be quality scopes I just want to have the better of the two.

great scope!! i like the mils dot and the illuminated reticle!!

If it helps I have never had any problems with any of my Burris scopes, thay range from the Fullfields to the Euro Diamond

I have 3 burris scopes, one is the 3-12 xtr with illum.ballistic mil-dot retical. I had it on my .308 and just put it on my newly aquired .338 lapua.I love the scope, but when I shot an e-mail to the company asking for the range caculations for the lapua compared to the 308 on the hold over points and asking if they could make me a custom elevation turret for the 338 they gave me some snotty weasal named Joshua that apparently hates his job or just doesn't care about having a repeat customer.He gave me calculations about equal to a 30-30 win. and never responded to the turret question. Other than that I love the scope.