• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? For my FL peeps or shooters who live in Humid Areas

_Windrider_

Shiner of shoes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Do any of you store your guns in your garage and how do you do it to fight the effects of heat and humidity? Safe with heat? Something else? Dehumidifiers? Trying to figure how to store my rifles in this place since I lost my man cave when I moved. This is temporary, maybe only a 18 month-2 year solution needed. @Mike Casselton @Mike_in_FL @8pointer

Like above - I use a goldenrod (SP?) and rechargeable dessicant systems.

Reactions: stefan73
    Haven't noticed any available for awhile but these Navy desiccant containers were great and rechargeable if you can find some. Believe they were used in powder cans - 12" dia x 2" thick.

650114m2_ts.jpg

Do any of you store your guns in your garage and how do you do it to fight the effects of heat and humidity? Safe with heat? Something else? Dehumidifiers? Trying to figure how to store my rifles in this place since I lost my man cave when I moved. This is temporary, maybe only a 18 month-2 year solution needed. @Mike Casselton @Mike_in_FL @8pointer
    I no longer live in FL but Maryland in the warmer months is a humid swamp. My safe is in the garage.

25 years being there with a Golden Rod (electric heater...yeah) and zero rust or humidity concerns.

Golden Rod on Amazon

Last edited:
    There’s gotta be a spot inside you can stick a safe. Storing guns in a garage is a bad idea, even worse idea when it’s humid AF. A dehumidifier rod can only do so much.

There’s gotta be a spot inside you can stick a safe. Storing guns in a garage is a bad idea, even worse idea when it’s humid AF. A dehumidifier rod can only do so much.
    There is it’s just I can’t get a safe inside that room. My other house in NC I had a 25x20 room in the basement that was all mine. I used the gallowtech wall system. Now I have notjing

If your garage faces south or south west, first thing is to buy insulation foam for the garage doors.

Oh yeah, and install it. 😁

After that, the golden rods and desiccant packs are your best bet.

Don't handle the rifles and place them into the safe without wiping them off.

Get what you're getting out of the safe and close it immediately.
    I live less than ten miles inland from the bay and salt air is an issue.

There is it’s just I can’t get a safe inside that room. My other house in NC I had a 25x20 room in the basement that was all mine. I used the gallowtech wall system. Now I have notjing

Have you considered one of the assemble it yourself safes?
    I hear they are pretty good.

If your garage faces south or south west, first thing is to buy insulation foam for the garage doors.

Oh yeah, and install it. 😁

After that, the golden rods and desiccant packs are your best bet.

Don't handle the rifles and place them into the safe without wiping them off.

Get what you're getting out of the safe and close it immediately.
    I live less than ten miles inland from the bay and salt air is an issue.
    My garage faces East. First thing I did when I moved in was remove all the blown in insulation in my attic and spray foamed with close cell the entire envelope of the attic including the garage. I haven’t gone thermal doors as this house will be a rental when my new house is done being built so I’m trying to balance what I put into it.

I've been in FL for a long time. When I moved into my new place 6ish years ago, I wasn't able to put my safe inside due to space and my fear of the safe falling through the floor (stilt house). :( The safe stayed in the garage, empty, and all my stuff is secured in a locked closet. No way I'd leave my stuff in the garage. I've never tried the golden rod, etc, but even inside I get surface rust after a while. It might be due to living within feet of the coast/intercoastal/bay/etc though.

My garage faces East. First thing I did when I moved in was remove all the blown in insulation in my attic and spray foamed with close cell the entire envelope of the attic including the garage. I haven’t gone thermal doors as this house will be a rental when my new house is done being built so I’m trying to balance what I put into it.

Facing east, you won't get the crazy temp swings I get.
    Mine faces due south and the temp at the front can be 20° higher than the back wall.
    Rust is a constant battle on everything out there.

I use a rod and a color change rechargeable dessicant, works great for years. I get a cheap toaster oven and put in in a pyrex glass container so it's easily recharged 3 at a time. I have 2 safes so I always have enough charged and ready to change out. I'm in SW Florida where humidity is the norm.
    640AG05 it's 5lbs. in a paint can, lasts for years https://www.sorbentsystems.com/bulksorbents.html
    IMG_1687.jpg

Reactions: Anb618
    I live close to the water on an island in RI. Gets humid in the summer but maybe not as humid as NC

My safe is bolted in my garage. I have a goldenrod and a rechargeable humidity thing that uses color change rechargeable desiccant that I bought on Amazon. Not a speck of rust on anything inside or out.

YMMV