• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

for our favorite wood gazer...

Nice.

I have a class at Sig Academy in a few weeks.

I think you get 10-20% off on purchase of Sig branded gear in the Pro Shop day of class.

I will give it a try.

Thank you for the heads up.

Reactions: sandwarrior
So, it being Father’s Day, and me being stuck in the house finishing details on getting it bought, I thought I’d show off some more wood I garnered at an estate sale yesterday:
4ABFB36B-145A-4382-BC06-02E8F54BA0C5.jpeg
07E1DB20-070D-4185-A4EE-6B285BDD9D44.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice.

Im on coat 26 or so of my new M40 .223.

Straight linseed oil on this one it will have a pretty standard flat finish that will patina nice with use, sun and time.

I’m having a custom inlay done in the foyer of my house of a compass rose. Should look pretty dope when it’s done.
Of all the patterns that he has made these tables in, the one I have is my favorite. Go figure. If you don’t love the result, I’ll be surprised. It takes more exacting attention to detail to create than the traditional compass pattern with just straight lines. Plus, it’s a great counterpoint to other patterns and geometry around the house.

So Ive got family in Hawaii that makes platters and such out of koa. I’m having them send me a stock sized blank of exhibition grade. Looking for ideas on who I should use for a stock maker for this project. I’m not capable of spending 10k on this rifle but I want it to be intoxicating when completed. Grain pattern example on 1911 grips:
2BF3A739-D20C-474D-B66E-4FA389F7FC74.jpeg

Nice wood sandman!

View attachment 7096246

Coffee table my Dad made for us 25-30 years ago. It’s not veneer exactly, since the decorative layer is 3/8” thick. More like intarsia.
Absolutely love that work!

I’ve always been impressed with good inlay work and amazed at the skill of people do it. I’ve done a little bit of it, here and there, and nothing too fancy. But, I’ve seen some really fantastic rifles with inlaid wood, gold, silver and ivory that were just excepional. I know they may have more issues than laminates or composites, but having a real work of art like that for your own firearm is real privilege.

Reactions: lash
Absolutely love that work!

I’ve always been impressed with good inlay work and amazed at the skill of people do it. I’ve done a little bit of it, here and there, and nothing too fancy. But, I’ve seen some really fantastic rifles with inlaid wood, gold, silver and ivory that were just excepional. I know they may have more issues than laminates or composites, but having a real work of art like that for your own firearm is real privilege.
Yep. Growing up with woodworking and fine woodwork in your life, at the least, instills an appreciation of grain, pattern and structure. If you’re lucky, you gather enough ability to make something halfway decent yourself.

This was a blank I bought and dried for 25 years. It was cut “along the Black Sea.”
I bought it shortly after the tree hit the ground and the broker would not say more than that. I just paid him and waited for big brown.

Damn!

The wood on my .223 M40 is not near as nice as any of these projects.

I requested a straight grain stock from the builder, I got some side and a bit of burl but its really dark not very "figurey".

I want to get it together to shoot this weekend. Two weeks of oil is enough.