• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes For S&B 4-16 scope, is a 50mm better than a 42?

Robe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2002
Franklin, TN
I have a chance to buy a S&B 4-16x42 PMII scope with lit genII reticle at a good price. I realy wanted the same scope but with a 50mm objective. Am I giving up anything by going with a 42mm objective?

Re: For S&B 4-16 scope, is a 50mm better than a 42?

Looking at the specs pages on the Schmidt site....if you go for a Double Turn turret on the 42mm, then it is heavier than the 50mm. But we're only looking at single digit grams so no big deal.

Apart from this, the exit pupil and the external dimensions...it looks identical on paper.

FOV will be a tad smaller, 50mm will be a little brighter. Neither of which will be a monumental difference though.

While aesthetics are just that---the 42 will invariably have a large gap betweeen the objective bell and the barrel. As all other things are for the most part equal, the big inescapable gap pushed me to the 50.

i love the 42 on my sr25. Aestheticly speaking of course.

I have used both and either will work fine. You can mount either in the lowest 34mm rings, which are the Seekins, so why not go with the 50mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love the 42 on my sr25. Aestheticly speaking of course. </div></div>

Different animal altogether!
smile.gif

Tigerbikes turned me on to the Larue Lt 107 (IIRC) its a really expensive 50 cal one piece mount that allows the lowest mounting height I have found. Looks fantastic holding the 42 on SR25esque rifles.
P1012055.JPG

I am waiting on my 4-16x42 right now. It is going on my Patriot customized LTR in 308.

I have had the 56mm Scmidt's but never one of the 50's or 42's. I want to stay as light and compact as possible, and that was one of the factors that motivated me to get the 42. I had a 37mm USO TPal on there, so it is still a bit of a step up for me.

I do not want a huge gap between the objective and the barrel, but can live with it if necessary. I have a pair of Seekins Low 34mm rings, and I hope the gap is tolerable.

I went with the 4-16x42, single turn CCW, .1mil with illuminated GenII XL. I have always wanted to try the XL, because of it's simplicity and the high ratings it seems to get, as well as the fact that they arent making the GenII's anymore and I wanted to get one while I could still find a new one.

It is not a huge factor either way, because I cheat and range with an LRF when shooting unknown distance. I like the fact that the XL is so uncluttered and simple, but still has more detail than a standard mil dot, plus the fact that more than just the center crosshair is illuminated.

Will post pictures when I get my stock back from Dimensions and get the scope all mounted up. cant wait.

Hydro, saw your post on the other 4x16 S&B thread that's running.

I've been looking at a similar set up for swapping out my MST100 for the 4-16x42 on my GAP and got this info from Richard at Near:

"We make a purpose engineered extra LOW 34MM x 3 ring Alpha mount with a .247"
saddle hight, just for your scope. These clamp onto any MIL STD 1913 rail.
We also make and stock a 30MOA rail, 20 MOA an 25 MOA rail for the 700 SA."

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the measurement that I really want (i.e top base to centre of scope tube) on this yet so | can't compare against the BO and Seekins.

But I want a minimal gap between the barrel and scope (currently around 4mm) on this rifle with the USO repro mount I'm using.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for the responses. I figured there would not be alot of difference between the two objective sizes except possibly in low light situations where the 50mm obj may be a bit brighter.
I thought the 42mm obj. scope would be great on an AR-10 or other semi-auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FOV will be a tad smaller, 50mm will be a little brighter. Neither of which will be a monumental difference though.</div></div>
FOV is not dependent on objective size: http://www.drdrbill.com/downloads/optics/geometric-optics/Apertures.pdf

The specifications given by Schmidt and Bender do not show any difference in FOV. As you said though, there is a slight difference in exit pupil.