• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms For sale Finnish M28/76

jwSubMOA

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
Mississippi
For sale: Finnish M28/76 target/marksman rifle. I have sold a couple of my rougher ones here recently and have decided to let go of at least one nice one. No cracks in the stock, minor scuffs etc. Barrel finish is mottled while the rest is somewhat better, bore is excellent, ASEV marked barrel, all matching numbers including the diopter sights which are included and it is a factory scope base rifle. The custom scope mount is not included but perhaps negotiable. $1050 shipped.
20200827_133337.jpg
20200827_133333.jpg
20200827_133317.jpg
20200827_133311.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mgrs
if you want to help this sell faster, you may want to check the tang date by dropping the action out of the stock and looking near the rear screw hole. If it is 1898 or prior more folks will be interested. If you need help with this please let me know.

Reactions: BoldCorrections
Thanks for the advice, but in this instance it is no concern. The rifles are desirable for their rarity and accuracy, not due to the age of the original receiver. All of these were built on pre 1927 hex actions.

Yes, they are all hex recievers and mainly desirable as a fantastic target rifle. However, if it is 1898 or prior, it can ship directly to anyone in the US with the exception of a few states and a lot of folks collect antique firearms. Finnish Mosins are among the most popular. There is a guy who lives in MT who runs a whole business selling just antique guns to folks.

Reactions: nmmi9100
Actually unless the requirements changed that only applies to weapons in their original configuration. Since these were manufactured as a new rifle in the 60s and 70s they don't qualify. Besides that anyone interested in these isn't concerned with it being shipped directly to them. Not to mention I would still ship it to an ffl. Good evening sir.

You, sir, are of course entitled to do whatever you wish with your private property.

However, it would be most irresponsible for me to let such misinformation be posted on this website without correcting it. Many of those rifles were built on antique (pre-1899) receivers. Dont look at the date on the barrel. The RECEIVER date is what matters. This will be under the rear tang of the reciever. These do not fall under federal laws as "firearms". They do not need to be transferred through an FFL and are not firearms according to the USG. Rebarreling or "rebuilding" as these rifles have had done to them does not affect their antique status according to the ATF (see attached ATF letter). You can rebuild, re-date, rebarrel, and do damn near anything to an antique receiver and it still maintains its antique status.

Before you start thinking that I do not know what I am talking about, please know that I have imported multiple antique weapons from international sources and have done the correct paperwork multiple times. I have also shipped an antique weapon person to person interstate without using an FFL. All of these interactions were perfectly legal and in accordance with the law. Along the way I have had to correct US customs and other government entities quite often as to the actual law regarding antique status and what constitutes an antique weapon. I maintain a file with all the pertinent USG laws and regs specifically because I have often run into misconceptions such as the one you have displayed above.

I was merely trying to help you realize the most value for your weapon. If it indeed has a tang date that indicates it is an antique you will sell it easier and quicker as it is more desirable. You will also have a broader market for the weapon than you would otherwise have.

Please have a good day and best of luck with the sale of your truly fine rifle.

For reference:

Here are some listings on gunbroker for antique Finnish Mosins stating that an FFL is not required:

Here is the ATF letter:
ATF response pt (1).jpg
ATF response pt (2).jpg

Reactions: nmmi9100
For sale: Finnish M28/76 target/marksman rifle. I have sold a couple of my rougher ones here recently and have decided to let go of at least one nice one. No cracks in the stock, minor scuffs etc. Barrel finish is mottled while the rest is somewhat better, bore is excellent, ASEV marked barrel, all matching numbers including the diopter sights which are included and it is a factory scope base rifle. The custom scope mount is not included but perhaps negotiable. $1050 shipped.View attachment 7411595View attachment 7411596View attachment 7411597View attachment 7411598
Is this rifle still available?

This is a grail gun for me. Have you slugged the bore? Is it D stamped?
Pm me, I’m obviously interested