• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

For the audiopiles...

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Reactions: Nik H and plong
    Good read, made me wonder about McIntosh and how they source the vacuum tubes used in new products, so far came up empty searching online.

Saw the thread title and could not resist sharing a short story.

I had a Kenwood GPS Stereo installed in my truck a few years back. I’ll never make that mistake again.

Anyway, I was speaking with tech support trying to get an answer to a rather simple question but was getting nowhere fast. A one point I called him an audiophile. “What did you call me???” I repeated myself and he said “What’s that???”

It became clear that he had never heard the term and his mind was conflating the term with the common pejorative “pedophile”. I asked for a supervisor and though the supervisor was embarrassed regarding his underling and could not answer my question either, we did have a good laugh.

Like I said, no more Kenwoods for me…….

Reactions: diverdon and Maggot
    Saw the thread title and could not resist sharing a short story.

I had a Kenwood GPS Stereo installed in my truck a few years back. I’ll never make that mistake again.

Anyway, I was speaking with tech support trying to get an answer to a rather simple question but was getting nowhere fast. A one point I called him an audiophile. “What did you call me???” I repeated myself and he said “What’s that???”

It became clear that he had never heard the term and his mind was conflating the term with the common pejorative “pedophile”. I asked for a supervisor and though the supervisor was embarrassed regarding his underling and could not answer my question either, we did have a good laugh.

Like I said, no more Kenwoods for me…….
    I accidentally crossed the 12v +- wires on one of my Rockford Fosgate amps, let the smoke out. Called them, told them what I did, they said send it in and sent me a new one, no charge.

They were super cool.

Reactions: Maggot
    Would nice if an American company bought Richardson's KT88 and Phillips' 8417 manufacturing equipment.

Would nice if an American company bought Richardson's KT88 and Phillips' 8417 manufacturing equipment.
    Sounds like he's working in the right direction. The new 300B's are superb. We may all "Own nothing and be miserable." by then though.

An audiopile? Is that like a wall of sound?
    Or what happens to your asshole if you spend too much time sitting and listening instead of being active.

Piles.

An audiopile? Is that like a wall of sound?
    No... THIS is the Wall of Sound. An amazing feat for its time.

iu

No... THIS is the Wall of Sound. An amazing feat for its time.

iu
    WHAT!?!?!
    For those who dont know, this was created for the Grateful Dead by their soundman and chemist, Augustus Owsley 'Bear' Stanley to fill the stadiums they were playing. The bass, so I'm told, was so intense it would fuck with your solar plexis. As their chemist, he 'allegedly' created what is said to be some of the finest LSD of the time. They used almost exclusively McIntosh amplifiers, thus the great sound.

Reactions: FWoo45
    As their chemist, he created the finest LSD of all time. They used exclusively McIntosh Beta test amplifiers, thus the great sound.
    FTFY

Some of the amps were hand wired and had never been tested before.
    They were running at under 1 ohm loads and never overheated or blew.

Here's Bear giving some smack down to newbies about the system.....you figure out who Bear posted as...

FTFY

Some of the amps were hand wired and had never been tested before.
    They were running at under 1 ohm loads and never overheated or blew.

Here's Bear giving some smack down to newbies about the system.....you figure out who Bear posted as...
    No, you didnt fix it, but I'll leave it at that.

Interesting read on the system though.