• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? for the guys who don't clean their barrels often

Cigarcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Pottstown, Pa
I've heard the debate from all dif angles and have a quick question for guys who may run 100-200rds or more before cleaning. If you guys change loads (powders specifically) between your cleaning cycles will you at that point clean the barrel and foul it with the new powder or just run the diff load till you get to your decided cleaning point.

Re: ? for the guys who don't clean their barrels often

i just run it till i need to clean it changing loads or not.

I have personally noticed accuracy falloff when shooting one type of powder over a different powder for the first few shots. This is in my 30BR. This is an extremely accurate rifle (One Hole!!) and i am talking groups going from the low .1's to the high .3's difference when i shoot powder A over powder B for the first half dozen shots. My guess is that you will not notice much difference in a tactical rig. But who knows, you will just have to try it and see for yourself. Each rifle is different! Lee

Over 600 rounds down the tube with three factory ammo's and six other powders and all I can say is the rifle still shoots better than me. Go out and shoot.

Re: ? for the guys who don't clean their barrels o

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over 600 rounds down the tube with three factory ammo's and six other powders and all I can say is the rifle still shoots better than me. Go out and shoot. </div></div>

+1 I couldn't have said better myself

I only clean my rifle when it gets shot in the rain and mud. Oddly that has been often lately. I usually go 5-600 rds till I just feel I need to clean it. LOL

+1 I have never noticed a difference when switching loads even with hundreds of rounds down the barrel.

It's my understanding that excessive carbon build up attracts moisture into the bore - shortening barrel life (rust)? Any thoughts, confirmations or debunking on this? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam Hail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's my understanding that excessive carbon build up attracts moisture into the bore - shortening barrel life (rust)? Any thoughts, confirmations or debunking on this? Thanks </div></div>

That is true but it don't have to be excessive or any carbon at all for that matter. If you don't shoot but once a month and live in a humid climate then you might have a problem. (Other precautions can be taken for this) If the rifle gets wet like sitting out in the rain during a call-out then clean it. Other then that it won't matter.

If im testing out new loads, I do not clean between different loads of powder. It works good enough for me. I really only clean if im out in the rain, or if its going to the safe for a LONG period of time.