• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For The Money, Best Long Gun For Beginner?

Jthom091

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
First Time Posting w/ The Ultimate Question, For The Money What is the best bolt action long range rifle I should buy to start getting really serious about long range shooting. I have been looking and researching for about a year and a half now and I have a few options in mind. I wanted to see what a group of professionals had to say to help push me toward a caliber and make/model. Any advise would be very much appreciated!

Re: For The Money, Best Long Gun For Beginner?

When I ask what the best beginner long gun for getting into so serious long range shooting, I was looking for an opinionated answer. What do you believe is a good starting point. Like I said before I have narrowed my search to a couple models I believe would be good for me. I posted this request asking this question to see if what I thought would be good for me for certain reasons matched the reasoning of someone with more experience. I watched the video thanks for the new guy advise but I would still like some opinions on the original post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGcsLRn7pY</div></div>
<span style="color: #CCCCCC">..........</span>^^^
That man is a true and rare good shepherd for new shooters looking to up their game.

Jthom091, if you could tell the forum about your intended uses and ambitions for the rifle and what your budget is, I expect some of the experts on here (mind you, I do NOT even remotely count myself among them) would be most happy to help you find what you're looking for.

Yours,

David

EDIT: Sorry, Jthom091. I didn't see your reply in time. I guess I just can't help you here, as I subscribe to the idea that "best" with rifles is heavily dependent on what one intends to use them for. Best of luck to you, though.

Ok, so you watched the video and didn't follow any of it by giving us key info, great!

So with that said then, my opinion is an AI AX in .338 with an S&B 5-25x56. All the rifle you will ever need. Case closed, your welcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with that said then, my opinion is <span style="font-weight: bold">an AI AX in .338 with an S&B 5-25x56.</span> All the rifle you will ever need. Case closed, your welcome.</div></div>

Sir, that is clearly false. My proof is that I don't own one and indeed have never shot one. Therefore, it simply cannot be the best. Q.E.D.

-David

What gets me is, some guys really do employ the logic exhibited above...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davidjschenk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGcsLRn7pY</div></div>
<span style="color: #CCCCCC">..........</span>^^^
That man is a true and rare good shepherd for new shooters looking to up their game.

Jthom091, if you could tell the forum about your intended uses and ambitions for the rifle and what your budget is, I expect some of the experts on here (mind you, I do NOT even remotely count myself among them) would be most happy to help you find what you're looking for.

Yours,

David

EDIT: Sorry, Jthom091. I didn't see your reply in time. I guess I just can't help you here, as I subscribe to the idea that "best" with rifles is heavily dependent on what one intends to use them for. Best of luck to you, though.
</div></div>

I watch a lot of his videos while reloading. He replies to almost off of his comments. Well done videos, that are fair in comparing and recommending things. He seems to leave out the BS and just state what he knows for fact, or his opinion based off his direct experience.

David,

For being a professor, as you claim in your profile, your clearly have no clue.

Watch the video, then look at what I wrote and then feel the sarcasm.

learn who some of the members are here b4 you go jumping their shit. I've been on this forum for over 8 years as compared to your 10 months. And I, along with many who will see this thread, echo it's message. We, those with sound advice to give, ask for but a few things in order to be sincere in response. The op has offered none of those.

So in closing, yes, some members do have the "logic", as you put it, that I demonstrated above. They are retards. And even after being politely directed to our needs so that good advice can be given the op simply dismissed it. That was retarded.
So how better to answer than with the response I gave.

Good day sir, welcome to the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David,

For being a professor, as you claim in your profile, your clearly have no clue.

Watch the video, then look at what I wrote and then feel the sarcasm.

learn who some of the members are here b4 you go jumping their shit. I've been on this forum for over 8 years as compared to your 10 months. And I, along with many who will see this thread, echo it's message. We, those with sound advice to give, ask for but a few things in order to be sincere in response. The op has offered none of those.

So in closing, yes, some members do have the "logic", as you put it, that I demonstrated above. They are retards. And even after being politely directed to our needs so that good advice can be given the op simply dismissed it. That was retarded.
So how better to answer than with the response I gave.

Good day sir, welcome to the Hide.

</div></div>

Oops. Dude, I was totally being a wiseguy there. When I referred to the bogus logic, I actually was referencing my own. Sorry if I didn't make my humor clear enough.

Yours,

David

I apologize as well.
One of the many downfalls of written text sometimes.
It doesn't do the meaning behind the words justice as the message can be misconstrued for several reasons.

Back to the op in words anyone can understand;

Dude give us some more fuckin info so we can help!
That or someone is gonna tell you to use the damn search option

Wow lots of comments. I want to be accurate at 1000 yards and spend less than 1200 for everything. I don't think an 8000-12000 dollar rifle is in my Budget but thanks for being a smart ass anyway Rolex. Also, I don't care how long anyone has been on any forum it says nothing for your abilities or knowledge of anything but maybe how the interface of the forum. I really just wanted a very broad discussion about bolt action long guns that's all I was looking for...

With a $1200 budget you can put together a good rig ... Would recommend either Remington or Savage (there are pros/cons of both, look through posts here). For Remington, you can go on for an 700 SPS Tactical (around $600) and up to a 700P or LTR (around $900). Difference between the 2 is mainly in the stocks. In Savage, I'd check out the Savage 10 line.

Next, you need to decide caliber ... .308 is popular here. If you are a new shooter, then .223 might be more appropriate as it will be easier for you.

Lastly, and many will say the most important, is the glass. There are many decent scopes out there ... would read the scope section in the forum to see what others recommend. Also, check out the used optics for sale, as you can get some great deals.

I think I'm leaning the most toward the .308. You just nailed my dilemma I have a couple Savage rifles in .223 .270, and .300 I like them but I cant decide which of the Savages would be a good base to start building a gun with 1000yd range abilities or if I should try the Remington, which I own in .243 and .270. As far as optics go I am completely lost, I shoot at 300-350yd range now I want to get a gun that will take me up a few more notches without taking out a loan.

this savage 223
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=321489354
odds are it will shoot great and will handle any bullet weight you would want to shoot. great barrel life, low recoil, doubles as varmint rig, accurate, dbm, good trigger, quality stock, affordable ammo.

egw 20moa base

swfa ss fixed 12x mil/mil

harris bipod swivel notched leg,

rings of your choice, my preference is seekins but on $1200 budget go with leupold prw.

Thanks for that info bud, looks like a great gun. I really think i wanna go for a .308 though. I really appreciate everyone's help and advise I've noticed the new guy has to take a lot of shit on this forum kinda put me in defensive mode from the get go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthom091</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm leaning the most toward the .308. You just nailed my dilemma I have a couple Savage rifles in .223 .270, and .300 I like them but I cant decide which of the Savages would be a good base to start building a gun with 1000yd range abilities or if I should try the Remington, which I own in .243 and .270. As far as optics go I am completely lost, I shoot at 300-350yd range now I want to get a gun that will take me up a few more notches without taking out a loan. </div></div> One option would be to sell off a couple of those rifles and put the money towards your current project. That would give you a little more $$ to put towards quality optics and mounts, which are every bit as important as the rifle you choose.

The out-of-the-box precision of the Savages is very hard to beat for the money. Try to find something that fits you from them. Not the biggest deal, but I know I had issues maintaining cheekweld with the PSS stock on my 700P when I started, if I had to do it all again and didn't buy a Remington because I wanted a Remington I would have gone with a .308 Savage, probably the FT/R. Leaves plenty room in the budget for glass and mounting.

You could always rebarrel one of your current guns, but selling and increasing your budget would be even better. Look in the for sale section here and keep an eye out for a good used savage model 10 or maybe a rem 700 sps. I have seen a few good deals float through here on some 700 PSS rifles also. Also check out the gun stores and pawn shops nearby. I saw an old sendero in one last week for $575.

I really love my savage guns and I really hate to sell any of them. I know that the optics I put on this gun are probably going to cost as much as the gun I buy too i just wanna weigh all of my options out well before I go ahead an buy one. Are there any other .308s under 900$ you would recommend?

I personally think $1,200 is pretty tough to get a decent turn-key rig UNLESS you are willing to buy used.

If you are going to shoot out to 1,000 and have a $1,200 budget, I would suggest:

1. Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - $700 new
I suggest this because the 20" 1 in 10" twist will shoot about any weight bullet you want. You could also try the SPS Varmint if you'd rather have more barrel length (26") but a slower twist (1 in 12").
2. Decent 20MOA pic rail - $85
3. Decent 30mm rings - $100 used
4. Harris 6"-9" swivel/notched leg bipod - $100 new
5. Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50mm - $300 used

About $100 over your budget, but it will definitely be a decent rig.
Immediately start saving for a better "budget" stock like a Bell & Carlson ($200-ish) and maybe even a decent aftermarket trigger (Timney, Shillen, etc.).

Don't be afraid to buy used. There are lots and lots of great deals here on the buy/sell forums and it could save you hundreds. Even inexpensive rifles sometimes pop up for sale and at least you would know ahead of time if they shoot worth a crap or not before you buy it.

I'm sure Savage makes some very accurate guns, I just don't know anything about the price on them enough to recommend one. The beauty of a Remington 700 is every gunsmith the US works on them if you ever want to have it spiffed up.

In my opinion:

You say your budget is $1200 "for everything", and you WANT a 308 capable of good accuracy at 1000yd. You own three Savages and two Remingtons. Does "everything" include your optic, rings and mount? If not, that's a pretty decent chunk of budget gone which will how we spend the rest of your money.

If you are looking for a new rifle, here are some options:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/81888

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42070

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43534

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540367

You can also build one of your Savages pretty easily, or send one of your Remingtons off to a smith to be trued and a new barrel installed.

Im really interested in the Remington 700 SPS Tactical, and the Savage 308 24 5R. My biggest Concern with the Rem is the 20" barrel. What does everyone else think?

I had the same choice a few years ago and opted a Savage 10PC with a 20" 5R barrel ... is a very accurate rifle. However, I am not shooting at 1000 yards. 5R rifling is very nice! (See http://www.obermeyerbarrels.com/faq.html). You can't beat the Savage for the $$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthom091</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im really interested in the Remington 700 SPS Tactical, and the Savage 308 24 5R. My biggest Concern with the Rem is the 20" barrel. What does everyone else think? </div></div>

You can probably pretty easily push a 175SMK to 2,500 or 2,550 fps out of a 20" barrel....especially with hand-loads or "hotter" ammo like outhwest Ammo 175 match. FGMM or Black Hills 175 might not get quite that velocity, though.

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">think</span> (without running the numbers) anything over 2,500 fps will get you 1,000.

My opinion:
-1/10" Twist
-20"+/- Barrel
-Factory Stock
-Badger/Seekins rings and base
-Cheap 10x mil/mil scope
-Harris 3-9 w/swivel

I would keep it simple and inexpensive. Change things when you learn what you don't like so you come to realize what works for YOU. Everything doesn't work for everyone but everyone should have a .308. IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - $700 new
I suggest this because the 20" 1 in 10" twist will shoot about any weight bullet you want. You could also try the SPS Varmint if you'd rather have more barrel length (26") but a slower twist (1 in 12").
2. Decent 20MOA pic rail - $85
3. Decent 30mm rings - $100 used
4. Harris 6"-9" swivel/notched leg bipod - $100 new
5. Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50mm - $300 used

The beauty of a Remington 700 is every gunsmith the US works on them if you ever want to have it spiffed up.</div></div>

^Do this and upgrade to a Timney trigger. If you are willing to spend between $1500-$2000 for a complete system, get a Rem 700 5R.

I think I've made my mind up Finally Im going with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthom091</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any advise would be very much appreciated! </div></div>

I was going to say this. AR-30 They can be had on Gunbroker for about $1750 - 1800. You could go for quite a few years with the .300 Win mag and never need anything else. The military even uses the .330 win as a sniper round. By the time you put a decent scope on it like a Vortex you would be up to $2500 - 2700. That is quite a bit over your budget of $1200 but if you could swing it that might be a good route for you. Recoil for the .300 Win is very manageable. And it would definitely get you out to 1000+ yards.

For the $$s, you are better off with the 700LTR as it has a decent stock and a better finish on the metal parts. Just my $.02.

I was going to say this. AR-30 They can be had on Gunbroker for about $1750 - 1800. You could go for quite a few years with the .300 Win mag and never need anything else. The military even uses the .330 win as a sniper round. By the time you put a decent scope on it like a Vortex you would be up to $2500 - 2700. That is quite a bit over your budget of $1200 but if you could swing it that might be a good route for you. Recoil for the .300 Win is very manageable. And it would definitely get you out to 1000+ yards.
[/quote]

This looks awsome but being this is my first attempt I dont want to get into it too deep just yet. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future though

How about putting those funds toward some upgrades to your existing Rem in 243? Depending on the existing setup this may be the best bang for the Buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the $$s, you are better off with the 700LTR as it has a decent stock and a better finish on the metal parts. Just my $.02. </div></div>

The LTR has a 20" barrel.
A bit iffy on making it to 1000 and staying supersonic without going hot with handloads.
I know because I have one and have shot it to 1000 yards several times.
Real good shooter for a factory rifle though.
It is a lot easier to shoot to 1000 yards consistently if your cartridge has some cushion before hitting the subsonic area.

One reasonable possibility I just noticed is this;
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3685327#Post3685327

Have you considered going a different route?
Since you already have a Remington rifle in .243, how about getting it rebarreled in 260 with the correct twist to shoot the 139 grain Lapua Scenar bullets.
24" to 26" barrel should be a good length.
With a decent load you can get 2850 fps, which will keep you supersonic out past 1200 yards.
A rebarrel job should cost you about $500-$600, including the cost of a good quality barrel.
Buy 7mm-08 Winchester brass and neck down to 6.5mm. I prefer Reloader 19 or H4831SC for powders.

That would leave you some $$$ to get a usable scope and a decent set of reloading dies and components.

I'd vote for a Savage in .223 or .308. Look for a nice used model for about $400 - $500. Then add the following . . .

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock - $200
Warne Maxima Base & Rings - @ $125
SWFA SS 12X or 16X - $300
Harris Bipod - $100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the $$s, you are better off with the 700LTR as it has a decent stock and a better finish on the metal parts. Just my $.02. </div></div>

The LTR has a 20" barrel.
A bit iffy on making it to 1000 and staying supersonic without going hot with handloads.
I know because I have one and have shot it to 1000 yards several times.
Real good shooter for a factory rifle though.
It is a lot easier to shoot to 1000 yards consistently if your cartridge has some cushion before hitting the subsonic area.

One reasonable possibility I just noticed is this;
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3685327#Post3685327

Have you considered going a different route?
Since you already have a Remington rifle in .243, how about getting it rebarreled in 260 with the correct twist to shoot the 139 grain Lapua Scenar bullets.
24" to 26" barrel should be a good length.
With a decent load you can get 2850 fps, which will keep you supersonic out past 1200 yards.
A rebarrel job should cost you about $500-$600, including the cost of a good quality barrel.
Buy 7mm-08 Winchester brass and neck down to 6.5mm. I prefer Reloader 19 or H4831SC for powders.

That would leave you some $$$ to get a usable scope and a decent set of reloading dies and components. </div></div>

Thought the same about 20" barrel for 1000 yards, that it might not quite be sufficient. Pushed it because it was a good deal on an excellent rifle.

Jthom091, I still think LoneWolfUSMC's "Budget Precision Project" is an outstanding way to go. I mean, if you want to maximize your bang-to-buck ratio, I can't think of a way to do better. Have you watched all five of the project videos in his Youtube account, linked in leagle's post? If not, that's where I'd start.

Best of luck,

David

I'm a long time lurker and new poster here. I have a Remington SPS Tactical 20" in .308 and it's a tack driver for sure. I researched the 20" barrel (here and elsewhere) and found the consensus was 18"-20" will give maximum accuracy from the .308, and longer barrels only add a small amount of velocity. I mounted a Zeiss Conquest on a Larue 20moa rail and installed it on the Remmy. Excellent shooter. Sub moa, and with the Zeiss sales everywhere now, it fits your budget just fine.

Probably couldn't go wrong with a Savage either. I have a 110FCP-HS in 338 Lapua with a Super Sniper 5x20 on top. Neither the gun or the optics fit your budget, but what a hammer!

Good luck with your build.

David, I think your exactly right. I been trying to weight these 2 options for at least a year now and i think its time to pull the trigger.

Hi Jthom091,

Check the classifieds section right here on the Hide. I'd wager you can find quite a bit of what you want, plus you've reasonable odds of trading your 1911 there.

Best of luck,

David

great video..... very well put...

first long range rifle.....and "best" for the money...

personal OPINION... preferably remington or savage heavy barrel in .308 with the best barrel and optic you can get.....

when it comes to stock.... its just like picking out a pistol, running shoes or boots... when you put it on or put it in your hand and you get that "omg that fits perfect" feeling.... than go out and shoot as much as possible... pushing your comfort "range"

You already have the platform, just choose a caliber. Rebarrel and maybe a stock, then spend more on glass.
Just my .02.
Eric

The rebarrel of your .243 is probably the easiest way to a quality rig available.

Keep in mind, you'll need more than just a rebarrel.

As has been said, action truing and rebarrel, 600 bucks.

You'll likely need a new stock.
B&C M40, 230

You are now at 830, which leaves you just shy of 400 bones for glass and mounting solution.

THAT is a tough nut to crack.
Contrary to popular belief, a very good one piece rail is available for around 40 bones.
The weaver extended multi-slot 20 MOA rail.
It will most likely need to be bedded (a rem problem not a weaver one).

The weaver 6 hole tactical rings are functional. A pain in the ass, but they work and also cost about 40 bones.

That leaves you just shy of 300 for a scope.

The only sub-300 scope I would recommend for your endeavor is the Bushnell 10X elite tactical mil/mil.

There you have it, a 1200 dollar 1000 yard rifle.

Savage LRP in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 260. They run ~$900, and are match ready out of the box. The stock is quality, though not "tactical", but nonetheless, the top shooters on this forum wouldn't be undergunned showing up to a serious match with this rifle.

6.5CM factory match ready ammo is availalbe for only a couple bucks a box more than 308.