• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those considering the "Tacticool"...

J_Roger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Commerce, MI
www.facebook.com
There has been a lot of talk here on the 'Hide recently about the quality of the Tacticool stock from Boyd's, and several people have asked if it was a good decision to purchase one, so I would like to share my experience with you all. I ordered my Tacticool last Thursday from Boyd's and it arrived early Tuesday afternoon via UPS. Now true, I did pay the extra for Priority shipping, but mostly I was pleased at how fast I received a "Your order has shipped" e-mail. An hour after I placed the order, it was packaged and on its way here.

When I opened the box, I began to carefully examine the stock itself. Seeing how I had ordered a "factory second" (a stock that didn't pass Q.C. after manufacture) from their "Crazy Deals" section, I wanted to see if I could determine what was wrong that had caused it to fail... I could not. In fact, for the $64 I had paid (the regular price being $90 something) I was quite impressed with the workmanship. The stock was well shaped and there were no noticable marks, dings, scratches, or any blemishes that I could see. The only down side that I saw was that the stock was black and I wanted it to be OD, so it needed to be painted. But before painting, I wanted to check for proper fit. No sense in painting something that I would have to later sand to put the action in place. Again, to my surprise, the barreled action of my Savage MK IIF slid right in, and why yes, the barrel was floating very nicely. NO FITTING NEEDED!!!! I immediately painted and assembled the rifle. So, here it is. It is far from a finished project, as I didn't remember at first that I needed bottom metal (It's on its way from Savage now) but at least the stock is done.

photo2-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Re: For those considering the "Tacticool"...

Looks real nice, the matte, the OD.
I'm waiting for a range report. Will the new stock make shooting more comfortable? Accurate?
One attaboy for looks anyway.

Looks great! I'm glad to hear it's high quality cause mine arrives Wednesday. Did you say anything to them about the wrong color? If so, what did they say??

Looks great! When I add a 17HMR to my rimfire collection it will definitely sit in a Tacticool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! I'm glad to hear it's high quality cause mine arrives Wednesday. Did you say anything to them about the wrong color? If so, what did they say?? </div></div> I didn't say anything simply because I ordered from the crazy deals section and they might have all been black. From what I hear, the "OD Green" stocks that they carry are more like mint green and will probably need to be painted anyways. All in all, no sweat for a 30 minute paint job.

^ Well that's cool. One damn fine finish for a 1/2 hour. I ordered mine in black textured. My bottom metal is also on the way from Marlin.

I am so drooling over those. Dropping hints for one for Christmas. We'll see. If not then it will probably have to be for "dad's after Christmas present to himself."

Charlie

Yeah I can't wait for Wednesday. Laminated hard wood too. Most durable and accurate stocks made. Kiss my POS plastic goodbye. Getting one that also looks like that is gonna just be too freakin sweet. I'll be sure to post pics too.