• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those of you with adjustable cheek piece

buster hindend

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
I'm doing some research for a future build.

My primary use for this rifle will be deer hunting in Ky which will mostly be from a tree stand. I would occasionally shoot some steel for fun.

I was looking at some Manners Stocks and notice that they have the option of an adjustable cheek piece. However, it adds about one pound of weight. I was wondering if it was worth the weight.

Anyone with any experience?

Re: For those of you with adjustable cheek piece

They make prone a lot easier. You might want to try a design like the Mac A1-3 with the raised comb.

If you don't think that you would use it very often you can get a stock pack and raise the comb with some foam.

The Saddle style cheek peices shouldn't add that much weight.

Save your money, buy a Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical, its a tack driver.

If Its primarily for deer hunting I would go with a raised comb or foam pad

The adjustable is great. If your in a stand, who caress, right? I put Karsten cheek risers on my 5R HS stocks. Get the riser if you can. Also, the weight is in the buttstock, so it doesn't make it hard to handle, just more weight to carry.

If you're worried about weight go with the Karsten, or go for the good old mousepads and duck tape.

But think, would you rather miss that deer and carry back that extra 1lb, or carry back 70lb of deer?

heres another option if it helps you... I have a Mcmillan and I added an XLR cheek piece... prob about .5 lb if that of weight.. with XLR or Karsten you can always put on on later...

P5210285.jpg

I have one manners T4A and 2 T4 with the XLR cheeck piece, the XLR are way more comfortable and a fraction of the price.

Notgnimer What the F does your comment have to do with anything?

Most retarded people are normal until they open their mouth.

Having an adjustable comb was part of the reason why I decided to purchase a McRee stock. Its nice to be able to dial in the height, that way when you looking through the scope, you have a full field of vision. It stead of moving your head around trying to clear your view.

Most of us also use a 20MOA base and set of high quality rings, to make sure that the scope has a solid base on or guns. The scope is are only link to any target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notgnimer What the F does your comment have to do with anything?

Most retarded people are normal until they open their mouth. </div></div>

The only thing that I thought that made any sense was he had a couple tabs open, and replied to the wrong thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notgnimer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money, buy a Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical, its a tack driver. </div></div>

LOL this comment kills me

I installed a Karsten cheekpiece on my HTG stock. Needed the extra height since I was using a 50mm scope. Didn't like using the Eagle stock pack so I went with the Karsten.

Cut

Thanks guys for the ideas. I really appreciate it.

Not anyone around here into nice rifles and no real gun shops. So I'm dependent on people like you for suggestions.

Thanks again

You are the packing this rifle. Alot of people build a big heavy tactical, big scoped rig that weighs 13-18 pounds just to kill a deer in the mountains where they only shoot 500yds or less. My mountain rifle is a Rem 7 308 that weighs 6.5 pounds with 18 inch barrel and it is a delight to carry and within 500yds, deer has no chance.

It depends on how fat your face is, if you have fat cheeks then no its not worth it, but if you are skinny faced then go for it. I realize this sounds crazy, but it's true, what I said that is about the adjustable cheek piece.

The Manners T is the stock I had in mind
I was wondering about whether to get adjustable cheek piece or not
I think I'll just get regular T and stock pack if I need more height

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notgnimer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money, buy a Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical, its a tack driver. </div></div>

what? yeah it's a good rifle, but you could post that in any thread in this section. Lets try to help here...

I have a t4a and really like it a lot. it's heavier but man, the gun weighs so much as it is, that extra weigh isn't going to be too noticeable. If you can swing the extra bucks, I recommend it, but those aftermarket cheek pieces are a very nice alternative.

I'd honestly just buy what is available. it seems like everything is backordered these days.

A gree with excaliber. I'm in Mississippi and we don't exactly have open prarie. Most of my hunting is done with maybe a 200 yard max range. I hunt with a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 with a 20 inch barrel. You dont need an M 40 for what you want to do and if you build a really heavy gun you would probably regret it later or a least have times when you regret it.

If you go with a light rifle like this then the extra wight for an adjustable cheek piece won't amount to much. But keep in mind you want it to ballance well too.

I've gone with both schools of thought over the years and in the long run I like the flexibility of the adjustable comb. I guess it depends on how well fixed combs tend to fit your face. I tend to need a little more height than most fixed combs give me so that pretty much determines my choice.

The question of whether a hunting gun should be chosen on the basis of weight or shooting features has been the subject of many discussions and arguments over the years. IMO it comes down to personal preference. I get awful tired of toting a heavy beast up and down rocky canyon walls, but I guess I accept that rather than give up features (fit, recoil, etc) since I don't own a single light sporter.

I just received a new build on a McMillan A-4 a couple of months ago and for some reason I thought, for this one I should go without an adjustable comb. For me it was a big mistake because that rifle was build for the range. I find it rather hard to get proper cheek wield. For ergonomics I would get the adjustable cheek piece and not worry about the weight, but then again I don't hunt all that much.