• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? For those using win748 powder

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
I'm trying to find a listing to show how much of what to use based on what I have for reloading? Its 223 brass some is PPU military some is federal and some is win and rem. I have rem 7 1/2 primers with win 748 using honrady 55gr FMJ bullets. I can't find a combo in a book based on my combination? Its shows either all win stuff or all rem stuff. How much of this kind of powder do I use per my combination? Is there a standard somewhere to start with? I'm going to get a book but what do you base your load off of the gr of the bullet? Powder used? Brass? Primers?? Thanks

Re: ? For those using win748 powder

My manual says start at 25 grs of 748 for a 55 gr bullet. It shows a max load of 27.8grs. If you use Barnes X bullets decrease your charge (longer bullets - more bearing surface - higher pressure). If you are using military cases drop your charge by 1 full gr. Military cases are thicker = less volume for the powder = more pressure.

If you are shooting this in a semi auto I would recommend a max of 27, not 27.8 . Semi autos get beat up more than bolt guns with a max load.

In these manuals can you use what they suggest for a given grain? The reason I ask is the lyman (49th) I was looking at only showed remington 223. What if I'm using hornady in 55gr would I use the same mix for the suggested for the remington?

Generally yes, 55gr is 55gr. Barnes "X" bullets being the exception. Another exception would be AP bullets (ss-109). These also have a longer bearing surface and require a lighter powder charge. Keep your Overall Length the same, even if it means not using the cannelure.