• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those who served

jmp1

Massive ability to turn you off.
Minuteman
  • Mar 25, 2011
    Trinity County Ca
    Given the state of our Nation would you advise your child to enlist?? As someone who didn't serve but has the utmost respect for those that have, I find myself advising my son against it. One year ago I was very much for it but as we transition into
    this pseudo communist regime, I'd prefer my son not be apart of it. What say the bretheren??

Given the state of our Nation would you advise your child to enlist?? As someone who didn't serve but has the utmost respect for those that have, I find myself advising my son against it. One year ago I was very much for it but as we transition into
    this pseudo communist regime, I'd prefer my son not be apart of it. What say the bretheren??
    Nope. Get a job or go to college. Go to a trade HS. I'm currently being medically retired, and I'm very happy I am.

Doc

I was in the Navy when Regan was POTUS. I am proud to have served. When my wife boasts about my service, I kinda cringe because I don't want my 8 of 10 year old to get the idea that " Dad did it so I will too." When I served gays were in the closet, and the POTUS thought of us as a national treasure.

It might be better than jail. It might be better than playing videogames in dad's basement. It might be better than addiction. But today I see nothing that makes service better than a trade, a job or schooling.

It's great that your son hears and considers your advice. The payment you MUST give him for hearing you is respect for his decision.

By the way tell him not to trust the recuiter.

Last edited:
    Nope. Get a job or go to college. Go to a trade HS. I'm currently being medically retired, and I'm very happy I am.

Doc
    That's the direction currently. I'm a lineman...started the trade at 19. He is headed that direction also. Graduates in June, spent the last two summers working for D.O.E. Lot's of vet's there with encouragement to serve....of course we still had high hopes during summer.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    Hi,

I would not recommend USA military service under the incoming administration.

But if your son really wants to serve...
    There is always Israel or Foreign Legion....

Sincerely,
    Theis
    My buddy was looking into French Foreign legion when we were getting out. 10 years to retirement instead of 20 and a new identity when you get out sounded pretty good.

There are ways to serve like wildland firefighter that he should look into. You get the feel good of serving your country, the adrenaline rush, gov equipment, occasional helicopter ride, chance to be smoke jumper, less political bull crap, and no situations that might compromise your morals or wake you up in the middle of the night.. and you can leave any time. Under fema though..

My buddy was looking into French Foreign legion when we were getting out. 10 years to retirement instead of 20 and a new identity when you get out sounded pretty good.
    The Legion looks after it’s guys. Far as I know, you can be wanted on a Murder warrant in the US and if FBI shows up looking for you, Legion tells em to pound sand.
    If you ever watched the Game of Thrones show, they’re kinda like the Nights Watch. I’m sure they get some interesting characters. Have very seriously thought about joining, but not liking the current direction of pretty much any western country.. much less any eastern nation lol

The Legion looks after it’s guys. Far as I know, you can be wanted on a Murder warrant in the US and if FBI shows up looking for you, Legion tells em to pound sand.
    If you ever watched the Game of Thrones show, they’re kinda like the Nights Watch. I’m sure they get some interesting characters. Have very seriously thought about joining, but not liking the current direction of pretty much any western country.. much less any eastern nation lol
    I’m getting to old and have the family thing going on now. I’ve often though of that as a retirement option though. I was kinda worried they would wear you out in 10 years to the point all you could do is retire. That and I was just a nothing special 11b

My son is set on joining after high school, and I'm ok with it. I guess! Want him to go to college, but he doesn't see himself in school after high school. Just trying to make life easier for him after service, if he doesn't stay in for 20 yrs. That degree would be a big help for him afterwards, but then again some people nowadays struggling for a job. With a degree. Just my opinion! I served 8 and no regrets.

Semper Fi

My brother and I served. We both retired from the Army. 20+

We are separated by too many years. He did 3 yrs in Nam. When I was called up for Middle East-first go round. I did not want him there, it bothered me. We talked about about how to keep him out of that, after what he did to serve previously. It was weird having those talks.

I have three sons. And I tell them plain.

Join the Air Force. If you gotta go there.

We are getting to a point where service is not what it use to be IMO.

I do not want to think of my kids doing what I did. That is truth for me. If'n ya gotta go - do it in ways that makes sense to those involved.

Anyone who serves, in any way - will not come back the same way they left.

It is all a growth, we cannot define or control.

Better or worse? Remains to be seen. I'm voting better but there are dues to pay.

An opinion.

Can't really say. The military is definitely nothing like when I was at Bragg 30 years ago. I'd like to think it would be good for a young person to join up, and get as much training as they can, then GTFO. Have the training to fall back on should the skills ever be needed in the future. But I don't know if there's anything they can teach nowadays that makes it worth joining up. Probably better off to just get some private training at Gunsite or similar places.

My son is set on joining after high school, and I'm ok with it. I guess! Want him to go to college, but he doesn't see himself in school after high school. Just trying to make life easier for him after service, if he doesn't stay in for 20 yrs. That degree would be a big help for him afterwards, but then again some people nowadays struggling for a job. With a degree. Just my opinion! I served 8 and no regrets.

Semper Fi
    I’m just glad I got out before osama oops meant obummer

The answer is yes, and you guys surprise me. Military service not only provides thousands of dollars for your kids to get a college degree but encourages lifelong learning and self-improvement. They also get to see how easy we have it here in America by visiting foreign countries - that education alone is worth it

The future is in the trades...not college, not military...trade school. Become a pipefitter!
    Nothing like meeting someone from another state making 4x as much as you, double time instead of time and a half for overtime, and getting per diem while your working 7/12’s till “the jobs done”.
    Then there’s the local welders getting a hourly rate for their truck too.

I served over 31 years.

I did not take an oath to serve any particular president -- some whom I loathe to this day.

I, and many in my immediate and extended families, swore to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I served to protect the nation, our people, and our way of life, and was willing to give my life in their defense. My son has taken that same oath and serves.

If Joe Biden's government demands a loyalty oath directly to him (or anyone else, or to a specific political party), I'd say there's a significant difference of opinion coming.

It's great that your son hears and considers your advice. The payment you MUST give him for hearing you is respect for his decision.
    Yes, I've been blessed with great kids. 3 of my own and 3 bonus. Not always easy...but rewarding. We don't always agree but will listen to each other.

Thanks for the responses. I honestly expected alot of one side or the other. Good to hear all sides. Hell....I didn't realize joining the legion was a thing...lol

Reactions: Amanda4461
    Was in the army from 06-13 and I watched the train coming off the rails each year that passed and gtfo while the gettin was good. Grateful for the experience, the two degreee I busted my ass for when I got out and the free tshirts but if my kid ever asks me to serve it's a big fat no from me chief but like others have said....if you gotta go....air force public affairs buddy or at least some job that will directly translate something useful later in life.

I can only assume from this response that you’ve never been involved in wildland firefighting, particularly as associated with the USDA FS.
    I’m doing it in Alaska. I just found out about it last year and wish I woulda known about it sooner.. but am obviously green. It seems to be a great fit for me for the reasons stated but obviously am not a expert yet. Kinda like the army sends you on hometown recruiting right outa basic so you don’t scare people away with your F the A attitude.

My son wanted to serve, spent his last couple years in high school with marine corp in mind after graduation — 1 week before graduating he was diagnosed with MS

He’s 21 now, has the MS under control but that ended any thoughts for the Marine corp

I never served, I can remember back when I was 18 or 19 — the recuiter’s name was Sgt. Larsen — we spoke on and off over the phone occasionally — One day my dad answered, I heard him say “Sgt. Larsen, stop calling here — I was drafted into Vietnam, you’re not taking my son”. Never heard from Sgt. Larsen again

There are times that I regret not joining — one of my very few regrets in life

please please Don’t let your kid go some libtard college and get brainwashed by some hippy while piling up debt. I would still recommend it, you make good friends, make memories and do stuff that no one else does. 4 years is nothing In the grand scheme of things, if he doesn’t like it then he can use his GI bill for trade school.

Last edited:
    I flew air attack and recon airplanes for many years for both the state and feds and thus, hung out around tanker bases and helicopter operators/operations quite a bit. The amount of politicking, good old boy chronyism, and wanton wastefulness in the name of spending the budget, was disgraceful. When it came to allocating resources, awarding contracts, and making staff decisions, particularly when the type one fire management teams got involved, anyone with a conscious should have lost sleep. It was fun to be a part of a big fire and the average guy out there doing the work was great. Highly recommend. However, it’s not without political BS and morally questionable behavior.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just turned 40 and want to do it as long as I’m able. One of my great uncles was a smoke jumper and wrote a book about it. I don’t expect to be around long enough to get into the politics as once I’m to broken to do line stuff I’ll find my own pasture.

I can only assume from this response that you’ve never been involved in wildland firefighting, particularly as associated with the USDA FS.
    Last thing I'd want is my son in a Forest Circus uniform. My job and location gives me a lot of insight in this statement.

I flew air attack and recon airplanes for many years for both the state and feds and thus, hung out around tanker bases and helicopter operators/operations quite a bit. The amount of politicking, good old boy chronyism, and wanton wastefulness in the name of spending the budget, was disgraceful. When it came to allocating resources, awarding contracts, and making staff decisions, particularly when the type one fire management teams got involved, anyone with a conscious should have lost sleep. It was fun to be a part of a big fire and the average guy out there doing the work was great. Highly recommend. However, it’s not without political BS and morally questionable behavior.
    It's all about the organization. From adolescence till now aerial ff was my dad's business....still love it. Guys on the ground do a great job. Feds managing a fire.....thats another thread.
    20180622_084120.jpg

please please Don’t let your kid go some libtard college and get brainwashed by some hippy while piling up debt. I would still recommend it, you make good friends, make memories and do stuff that no one else does. 4 years is nothing In the grand scheme of things, if he doesn’t like it then he can use his GI bill for trade school.
    Lol....no chance of that. His political beliefs are well forged. Not because it's what I told him. I've always encouraged my kids to use critical thinking and form their own opinions.

When I served, I felt I was on the most winning-est team there was and I was proud to serve and do my job, did I bitch from time to time?? Hell yes I did.
    When Uncle Sam told me to pack my bags, I did, period.
    I'm glad I felt the way I did back then, now, not so much.
    I do have one son in the A.F. and at this time he feels the way his dad did back then and I'm proud of that. He is not going to make a career out of it tho.
    Mac
    ETA: I was in during the Carter thru Bush Jr. years (1977 thru 1998).

Last edited:
    I’ve got 21 years in right now. The military is going to military no matter who is president.

I’m a different person from when I first joined. Some good, some bad, but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Every boy has to earn and learn his way. If they want to serve, I wouldn’t persuade them not to. I see all my buddies working their asses off to get by. I’m paid, and about to retire and enjoy the fruits of my labor as a fairly young guy. The rewards came with sacrifice, but that’s what I signed up for. I joined to kick in doors and pull triggers, and I got all I wanted. Boy am I glad no one convinced me to join the Airforce.

I'd say join the army for the life experience. It'll give him plenty of stories and memories for later. I recommend he does 3-4 years and then get out. I did 6 years army, and should have left at 3 1/2 when I had the chance. If he can put up with the bullshit the army throws at him, any other job is cake! That's my experience anyway.

I have friends that stayed in and from what it sounds like, the PC/BS intervention that was within kissing distance when I got out has rigorously affixed itself on the military's backside. Congress and the upper level leadership is fucking with our liason to the "real world" and it makes me no more happy now than it did when I got out.

Between the Biden administration, Covid, PC, gender studies/trials, etc.. etc... I'd suggest a "steer clear", but 18 y/o me wouldn't listen to 30 y/o me anyway.

I'm pro Army.
    Did my twenty, plus.
    My family has served for generations.
    No regrets.
    You get out what you put in.
    Don't worry about the politics, it's not in your ROE.
    Definitely go for the "elite", you'll do more, see more, and make a difference.
    And your CT/MRI scans make great conversation pieces over a few beers.
    🤣🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

I'm pro Army.
    Did my twenty, plus.
    My family has served for generations.
    No regrets.
    You get out what you put in.
    Don't worry about the politics, it's not in your ROE.
    Definitely go for the "elite", you'll do more, see more, and make a difference.
    And your CT/MRI scans make great conversation pieces over a few beers.
    🤣🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
    I feel you brother.

My dad was KIA Camp Enari, 1969.
    I enlisted USMC. My Mamma cried. I'd do it again.
    I always felt that guys enlist in the Air Force to get technical training, the Navy to see exotic ports of call, the Army to save for college. All worthy endeavors and still serving the nation.
    But MEN enlist in the Marines to go shoot the fucking enemy.

Holy shit this thread was not what I expected.

I have no issue with my son enlisting after HS to do whatever he wanted. His service is to the nation, not the ass cheeks in the seat.

Some of you seem to have forgotten that, but you’re entitled to that opinion.

Our nation needs the willing and capable youth to keep us above water. If the physically and mentally strong aren’t enlisting, then the weak masses will be pushed into it.

Be the change you want to see. Let them be the change they want to see.

Raise them with the skills to survive in society and equally as well in the field. They’ll choose their path and we should support their interests...that’s all we can do as parents.

Best of luck to your kid with whatever he chooses. 🍻

You know I’ve thought about this a lot now that I have 4 sons. There are some things I feel I must say.

I was 24 when I finally signed up so had a different perspective than most and managed to have a few young guys looking up to me. This was natural to me as I was the oldest child of 4. It’s a little bit harder when you loose someone you taught to drive and would take fishing on the weekends.

The real eye opener for me though was when I’d casually ask these young kids “if we are given orders to take guns from Americans what are you gonna do?” Most of em would say something to the effect of “I don’t know, follow orders I guess” this was 2004 before our turn in Iraq.

I think about these 25000 troops surrounding our capital as I write this. I think of how my last cop encounter went down. How a young kid wrecks into my car and is fleeing the scene but I’m the one treated like a big bad wolf. I think about the judge that tries to tell me I cannot have a weapon in my house even.. despite the fact I have not committed or been convicted of a crime. Despite how blatantly unconstitutional.. Despite the fact there is a family in my house.. despite the fact we’ve had bear in our yard. I see the writing on the wall.

I always thought I would not encourage or discourage. I always thought I would just tell them the good and the bad. Of course I always thought the constitution was our anchor.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. I’ve just now come to terms with how bad my issues are. Issues I tried to distance myself from. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I can’t get along with society just to finally figure out society cant get along with guys like me. I can’t tell you how many times someone would be poking at me just to get all scared when I stand up and roar.

I’ve had some very dark days. I survived though. I survived that period when you get back and feel invincible. I survived the va and all their psychoactive pills. I survived Obama’s right wing radicalization report. Got married and had a kid. Had a hoa send me letters if I didn’t mow my lawn.

Then a messy divorce and not being able to see my son ripped all my scabs off. All I could think about was dark. Then all the guys I lost. One in particular. I was constantly reliving everything. Not enough alcohol. Not enough women, not enough weed, I got really close to ending it all. But I survived.

Now I see the righting on the wall. It’s no longer if but when we fight for our rights.
    Guys like me can’t wait forever for the unavoidable. I just pray I can wait long enough to make a difference. I just need to do everything I can to ensure my kids know freedom.

When all is said and done all you can really do is make sure your son has as much information as possible to make the best decision he can. Don’t trust any recruiters and if he is going in then pick the best branch and best job. Be sure to make it work for ya. I had no plans on going to college but was able to use my g.i. Bill when I really needed it to get a welding cert and provide for my family while I went to school. I almost didn’t pay the 100 a month for a year... because when your getting 300? A month 100 is a lot. Sorry I got a little long winded on ya there but I took a oath. I hear it calling.
    America needs young guys to take that oath and old men to honor it.

Wholeheartedly.

When I look left and right at my breathren, I see patriots that put Americanism and friendship before political party. Among the mature, older active service members, I see a desire to work through the systems instead of popping off about fighting a civil war in our own land. It's definitely not that they wouldn't be there if the time comes. On the contrary, they will be the leaders on both sides, as they were in all of our previous wars. It's just that they recognize the value of the institution that our forefathers already fought and died for. They recognize that our national tribe is greater than the sums of its constituent tribes.

I don't see many pure civilians acting that way, these days. You may join for any of the reasons you did, but it will still make you consider the inherent goodness in our country and way of life and nurture the desire to preserve it. A greater good, if you will.

Last edited:

No

The officer corps that I joined so many years ago seems to be now corrupt to the core above junior officer level.

So now people want their kids to rack up college debt cause it's going to be paid off by the GOV??

My kid did 8 years, got PLENTY of real world experiences.....got out.....makes $100k+...no degree...

The conversation should not be about "joining", it should be about what occupation/career field they want to pursue.

No

The officer corps that I joined so many years ago seems to be now corrupt to the core above junior officer level.
    agree totally with the comment on Field Rank and beyond... I would go no further than Major or Lt. Commander... the junior ranks are the most recently trained and most likely the most currently capable in the field anyway... which is where the strength would be in numbers anyway

Reactions: 308pirate
    @HeavyAssault Is on the right conversation topic. Not so much about if or why you serve, but what you do. Find a technical field that is in high demand in the real world. Make .mil pay for the education and get some hands on in whatever branch you want that has the field. If they pay attention, they’ll know when it’s time to walk away. Take that knowledge and skill to the workforce and make some money with it. Looking back on my 20, that would be the only thing I would ever do different.

Thanks to guys like you for giving me the heads up. I'm doing exactly that. Just got my degree in Ops Research (like data science), and hopefully I'm well set up to make the transition.