• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those who want Real Firepower

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Rail guns, used in experiments at Eglin AFB

on one experimental shot Windows were shattered and metal doors were ripped from their frame in the community. Since Eglin is 2/3rds the size of Rhode Island, and towns are located a miles from the Eglin test sites, one can imagine just how powerful these weapons were.

Want some real long range power?
69C781BE-7496-4224-89FB-443F49CB0593.jpeg
9B46E983-008F-480D-A8B5-DA7D67D4AD8C.jpeg
DA9455C2-DD11-49C7-BC69-B8C059E120E4.jpeg
5F147BCC-58C1-495F-8491-ACBD71A2504C.jpeg

In this forum WE OBEY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS!

(Rail guns are cool and all, but I call bs on the "windows shattered" and "frames ripped from the door"--unless you actually get hit by the round. Its just metal flying REALLY REALLY fast.

(I don't wanna shit on your thread, just facts: please accept this video of stuff gettin blowed up by rail guns)

Rail guns, used in experiments at Eglin AFB

on one experimental shot Windows were shattered and metal doors were ripped from their frame in the community. Since Eglin is 2/3rds the size of Rhode Island, and towns are located a miles from the Eglin test sites, one can imagine just how powerful these weapons were.

Want some real long range power? View attachment 8214088View attachment 8214089View attachment 8214090View attachment 8214091
Why do the rail guns in the pics look like they are at the neighborhood park?

(Rail guns are cool and all, but I call bs on the "windows shattered" and "frames ripped from the door"--unless you actually get hit by the round. Its just metal flying REALLY REALLY fast.

(I don't wanna shit on your thread, just facts: please accept this video of stuff gettin blowed up by rail guns)

Stationed at Hurlburt Field (maybe a dozen miles west) for the bulk of my career and four years on Eglin. Lived between the two after I retired. Never heard of that happening. Maybe structures on site, but I knew a metric ton of people involved in those projects and nothing like that was ever mentioned. I heard/felt the first MOAB test. May have been a window here or there, but it didn't make the news.

ETA: I haven't been on every range on Eglin, but I'm unaware of one that close to a neighborhood.

I've done a number of matches at Hurlburt. The guy that runs them is very interesting and has a long history there.

CGI government propaganda, real rail gun would not have a need for a powder charge that’s obviously being used in the films, no boom no smoke cloud of burning powder

@street+killer you are correct. Not actually a park but as far as appearing in a park, actually its a display at the Heritage museum of Northwest Florida in Valparaiso, Florida. Everything pictured is well past obsolete.

Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida

View attachment 8214264
LIke I said man--its just stories. thats not how rail guns work and not how magnetic fields work. Don't believe everything you read.

If it ripped metal off metal off doors some distance away--wouldn't it rip itself apart first? The gun is made of metal. Energy goes as distance squared, so the field required to bend metal at distance would be so strong at the source it would tear the gun itself apart.

IMHO they are a great replacement for the heavy artillery of battleships with longer standoff distance, less counter measures, and a nuke reactor can certainly supply the required power. Barrel life still shorter than an overcharged 300 Norma Mag.

An orbital or Moon based version that can sling a 12-100 pound metal dart up to just a fraction of the speed of light will solve ANY potential future asteroid and comet problems once and for all. Recommended slug-target impact area would be between Mars and Jupiter orbit. A 100 pound steel dart traveling at 2% the speed of light striking an incoming asteroid the size of a city at that distance will produce a temporary new star in the night sky visible to the naked eye for about an hour. Nothing will be left of the asteroid and the dart afterwards. Just a slowly expanding cloud of incandescent dust and gas that can be viewed through a telescope.

An orbital or Moon based version that can sling a 12-100 pound metal dart up to just a fraction of the speed of light will solve ANY potential future asteroid and comet problems once and for all. Recommended slug-target impact area would be between Mars and Jupiter orbit. A 100 pound steel dart traveling at 2% the speed of light striking an incoming asteroid the size of a city at that distance will produce a temporary new star in the night sky visible to the naked eye for about an hour. Nothing will be left of the asteroid and the dart afterwards. Just a slowly expanding cloud of incandescent dust and gas that can be viewed through a telescope.
That much kinetic energy? Well...wow!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
That much kinetic energy? Well...wow!

Even at the speeds which our satellites are going around the Earth, if they collide with anything the results would be catastrophic. And that is a slug-crawl compared to things zipping around the solar system coming in from the outer edges. Now when you start approaching light speed, even at a tiny fraction, things begin to behave extremely strange. At 2% light speed, there may even be some nuclear reactions going on between the projectile and the target due to the sheer immense force that would be generated. A flux of radiation and a cascade of subatomic particles of all sorts would be released from the impact that would be observable by instruments. That is why traveling to nearby stars on a ship going through normal space at near-light speed would be almost impossible. Human crews would not be able to withstand the forces involved at those speeds, even inside a heavily shielded ship. And the ship itself? If it strikes something as tiny as a grain of sand at the speed, the resulting explosion would be cataclysmic. Until we have found a way to manipulate space-time like electrons do in a computer circuit board, and be able to send a starship to another location interdimensionally, exploration of even nearby stars would be pretty far off...

Even at the speeds which our satellites are going around the Earth, if they collide with anything the results would be catastrophic. And that is a slug-crawl compared to things zipping around the solar system coming in from the outer edges. Now when you start approaching light speed, even at a tiny fraction, things begin to behave extremely strange. At 2% light speed, there may even be some nuclear reactions going on between the projectile and the target due to the sheer immense force that would be generated. A flux of radiation and a cascade of subatomic particles of all sorts would be released from the impact that would be observable by instruments. That is why traveling to nearby stars on a ship going through normal space at near-light speed would be almost impossible. Human crews would not be able to withstand the forces involved at those speeds, even inside a heavily shielded ship. And the ship itself? If it strikes something as tiny as a grain of sand at the speed, the resulting explosion would be cataclysmic. Until we have found a way to manipulate space-time like electrons do in a computer circuit board, and be able to send a starship to another location interdimensionally, exploration of even nearby stars would be pretty far off...
Good stuff! Can't wait till they create the gravitational bubble ride at Disney land in the year 2350. By then perhaps they will figure out a way to repel the gamma rays created by decelerating fast as light space travel.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Good stuff! Can't wait till they create the gravitational bubble ride at Disney land in the year 2350. By then perhaps they will figure out a way to repel the gamma rays created by decelerating fast as light space travel.

This. We are at a make or break period in human history right now. The great physicists of the 20th century have already laid out the basic groundwork and equations that can potentially open the universe to us and propel us into a Kardashev Class I and II civilization within the next millenium, if we don't fuck ourselves up. There are way too many sci-fi stories that talk about entire civilizations radiating gigawatts of media and cultural entertainment out towards the stars, only to suddenly cease broadcasting one day because they annihilated themselves in a war fucking around with antimatter or other weaponry whose destructive potential they failed to grasp, or went through a destructive political cycle like communism that put them back into the medieval age...

This. We are at a make or break period in human history right now. The great physicists of the 20th century have already laid out the basic groundwork and equations that can potentially open the universe to us and propel us into a Kardashev Class I and II civilization within the next millenium, if we don't fuck ourselves up. There are way too many sci-fi stories that talk about entire civilizations radiating gigawatts of media and cultural entertainment out towards the stars, only to suddenly cease broadcasting one day because they annihilated themselves in a war fucking around with antimatter or other weaponry whose destructive potential they failed to grasp, or went through a destructive political cycle like communism that put them back into the medieval age...
Oh yes, some filtering event. So the question is, have we passed up some major filtering event or are we yet to experience one, and do we reach the point where we can harness the power of a star, or get filtered right before that. It's like where have all the aliens gone, are they here already, or did they wipe themselves out before being able to reach our corner of the Milky way.

With the big questions unanswered it makes you realize how futile or even obscure it is to be mad at the little things in life, or even why we even go to war over stuff, perhaps too esoteric! Humans....ugggg!

I recall the books from the XKCD comics guy going into this; Relatavistic baseball.

LIke I said man--its just stories. thats not how rail guns work and not how magnetic fields work. Don't believe everything you read.

If it ripped metal off metal off doors some distance away--wouldn't it rip itself apart first? The gun is made of metal. Energy goes as distance squared, so the field required to bend metal at distance would be so strong at the source it would tear the gun itself apart.

IMHO they are a great replacement for the heavy artillery of battleships with longer standoff distance, less counter measures, and a nuke reactor can certainly supply the required power. Barrel life still shorter than an overcharged 300 Norma Mag.
The Doors damaged were on site.

The Windows were at a distance.

I think you should re-read the text in the photo posted by Willk.

Choctaw Beach is very close to site on Eglin, like the NAVY Eod school, the idea of widows being broken is not out of question. This was also way back when. I have lived in FWB basically since 1997, where I currently live my back yard is against the Res. We get house shakers here. I have literally felt the ground move under my feet before shit knock off the walls.

PhYsIcS

8,270 fps!!!! :D

Obviously you haven’t read the reports from the sea trials of this thing. Somewhat unexpectedly, the rail gun lifted and launched the steel-hulled support vessels at the target. To add insult to injury, the magnetic field erased everyone’s credit cards.

😒🤣

The Doors damaged were on site.

The Windows were at a distance.

I think you should re-read the text in the photo posted by Willk.

Choctaw Beach is very close to site on Eglin, like the NAVY Eod school, the idea of widows being broken is not out of question. This was also way back when. I have lived in FWB basically since 1997, where I currently live my back yard is against the Res. We get house shakers here. I have literally felt the ground move under my feet before shit knock off the walls.

PhYsIcS
Threads like this and comments like this make me just want to stop commenting and let you idiots continue to beleive in psycho babble bullshit. Just pretend its magic because you have no clue. None of this passes any basic science class ever. Watch the damn videos? DO you see ANY metal being deformed AT THE DAMN GUN? Why would it be deformed farther away?

Stop. Posting.

1693230168517.jpeg

And the rest of you: Star for an hour? Sorry the explosion may be impressive, but to start a fusion chain reaction....ummm. Guess we better hope its not a fe-ni core.....

OMG its not even 9am and I need a drink.

Threads like this and comments like this make me just want to stop commenting and let you idiots continue to beleive in psycho babble bullshit. Just pretend its magic because you have no clue. None of this passes any basic science class ever. Watch the damn videos? DO you see ANY metal being deformed AT THE DAMN GUN? Why would it be deformed farther away?

Stop. Posting.

View attachment 8214490

And the rest of you: Star for an hour? Sorry the explosion may be impressive, but to start a fusion chain reaction....ummm. Guess we better hope its not a fe-ni core.....

You are the one that can’t comprehend a simple sentence.

Then wana talk about PhYsIcs…

The door was at the site… not “some distance away”

Get over your self!

Stop. Posting.

View attachment 8214490

Go ahead and pour yourself a double

You are the one that can’t comprehend a simple sentence.

Then wana talk about PhYsIcs…

The door was at the site… not “some distance away”

Get over your self!
Please calculate the work required to move a sheet of thin steel 1mm at a distance of 100m. (F dot dS or F x distance)

Then calculate the magnetic field required to produce such a force.

1693246073750.png (this part is really funny if you understand math!)

Then look up the strongest field we've ever produced. (its 45 Tesla). I personally have only ever wound a 1-2 T Magnet

You may then apologize.

Or if you really want to be embarassed solve this shit and show me I'm wrong (Pick a column, start with bottom line)
1693246816081.png

Here let me make it simple for you in covariant 4-vector terms:
1693247058037.png

Now go fuck with someone else.

Attachments

• 1693246264339.png
    1693246264339.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1693246195175.png
    1693246195175.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 12
Please calculate the work required to move a sheet of thin steel 1mm at a distance of 100m. (F dot dS or F x distance)

Then calculate the magnetic field required to produce such a force.

View attachment 8214644 (this part is really funny if you understand math!)

Then look up the strongest field we've ever produced. (its 45 Tesla). I personally have only ever wound a 1-2 T Magnet

You may then apologize.

Or if you really want to be embarassed solve this shit and show me I'm wrong (Pick a column, start with bottom line)
View attachment 8214657

Here let me make it simple for you in covariant 4-vector terms:
View attachment 8214666

Now go fuck with someone else.
still can’t accept you read it wrong.

257FCA37-78DF-4566-A301-F056F9F5578A.jpeg

Posting some equation doesn’t negate the fact that you couldn’t understand a simple sentence.

The fact that you still don’t accept it, it’s just hilarious.

Have a good day butter cup.

Last edited:
still can’t accept you read it wrong.

View attachment 8214705

Posting some equation doesn’t negate the fact that you couldn’t understand a simple sentence.

The fact that you still don’t accept it, it’s just hilarious.

Have a good day butter cup.
You are a genius

(Or maybe don't believe everything you read--turns out people make shit up all the time)

And yes, I don't accept it as it runs contrary to all theory and experiment of the last 200 years. I'm trying to point out why YOU shouldn't accept it either fucktard.

You don't have a clue how any of this works, but will believe random shit on the internet. Good Choice. (Not to mention countless videos of the device having 0 effect on nearby metal objects)

This is on the internet as well (seems legit):

1693253742686.png

Tell me again how a magnetic field moved an unmagnetized door (That was the 2nd line in the equations above. Magnetic Fields do no work on non-magnetic charged items)?

Oops just violated Maxwells Laws.....But hey random internet guy, you know best. And the rest of us scientists are just dumb.

You are a genius

(Or maybe don't believe everything you read--turns out people make shit up all the time)

And yes, I don't accept it as it runs contrary to all theory and experiment of the last 200 years. I'm trying to point out why YOU shouldn't accept it either fucktard.

You don't have a clue how any of this works, but will believe random shit on the internet. Good Choice. (Not to mention countless videos of the device having 0 effect on nearby metal objects)

This is on the internet as well (seems legit):

View attachment 8214741

Tell me again how a magnetic field moved an unmagnetized door (That was the 2nd line in the equations above. Magnetic Fields do no work on non-magnetic charged items)?

Oops just violated Maxwells Laws.....But hey random internet guy, you know best. And the rest of us scientists are just dumb.
Pssst… have you ever heard of magnetically locked doors?

Just admit it… you’re wrong.