• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you 03A4 buffs

Re: For you 03A4 buffs

This is old news, but the Gibbs 03A4 rifles have received some good reviews over the last few months if you run a search. Gibbs is only about two hours away from me here in WV and I also had the opportunity to speak to the Gibbs folks at SHOT in 2009 about the project. My understanding is that the rifles are pretty nice for a "shooter" 03A4 at 1/4 or so the price of an original. Unfortunately, the optics that Gibbs is shipping with the rifles leave a lot to be desired.

Having looked through a lyman scope from the same era (I picked one up mounted to a savage 340 at a pawn shop), I can tell you that the optics available back then left alot to be desired compared to todays standards.

Actually, the Lyman Alaskan and similar scopes weren't all that bad in terms of the glass, but it isn't really fair to compare optics of that era with modern glass either.

As for the Gibbs replica scopes...the issue was really not one of the clarity/quality of the glass (which wasn't bad at all on the ones I looked through), but of general build quality in terms of fit, finish, adjustments not being very good, etc.

These are pretty decent rifles especially for WW2 re-enactor types. I believe the receivers are actually reclaimed drill rifles and the scopes and barrels are supplied by Gibbs (Chinese made if I remember right). The range reports have been pretty good but the scopes actually suck really bad. I would really prefer to find a sporterized A3 and build an A4 clone for shooting. There was a nice build for sale here a little while back that looked the part and would have been a great shooter. I think if you Google search a bunch of reviews come up, some good, some not so good. Even the real ones were not so good!!