• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For You CheyTac Users..(Pic Heavy)

ZDW4573

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
Just purchased a 20 round box of Factory .408 CT ammunition from Jamison for T&E, and I have to say I am disappointed. Received the box with minor damage due to poor padding during shipping.

34da9728e7.jpg

I wasn't impressed when I opened the box either, as the rounds were significantly tarnished. Once I took some Nevr-Dull to the brass, the rounds were of an acceptable quality for used, but I would have expected better than that from the factory for $7 a round.

Note the difference in brass of the factory round(right) and the round I cleaned up myself(left) with a 5.56 for size comparison:
c7772e5976.jpg

While cleaning one of the rounds, I noticed that the case neck was lipped out slightly, and upon further inspection, found that the tip of the round was dented pretty badly. this got me nervous, so I inspected all of the other rounds more closely and found something even more surprising: the case neck of another round was split in two places, and I was actually able to pull the projectile from the case with my fingers.

Note the crack down the case neck:
99a86da11f.jpg

I was able to easily pull the projectile from the case with my fingers:
beac7304cc.jpg

Note the dented tip and the lip on the neck of the round(difficult to see in this picture):
b911713d9b.jpg

My best guess is that both of the unusable rounds are a result of damage during shipping, but my question is this: did I just get a lemon when I ordered these rounds, or has anyone else here experienced these problems? Also, do ya'll have better luck with the 198 round cans due to the better packaging?

Re: For You CheyTac Users..(Pic Heavy)

That sucks! I have ordered one (198) can and definately would get another.The rounds are laid into an ammo can lined with cardboard and a layer of cardboard seperates each layer of rounds(it is nothing special but it got them to me unharmed).
I am sure if you call Jamison Kathy will take care of you.

Could the package have been damaged by the carrier? All of my experienced with Jamison have been very positive. Give Kathy or Marc a call and they will take care of you.

The first batch of Jamison solids I got in early 2007 were like that - just shipped in crappy containers. Later that summer I got another batch and it was in the same foam containers they use now - much less chance of getting damaged. As for loaded ammo, the ammo can of 198 rounds is lined with corrugated paper and seems to protect the tips better than the cardboard 10 round boxes. Incidentally, I went through quite a few TTI .408 cardboard boxes and they were just fine. Now that I think of it, their 400 and 419 solids used a tougher metal than Jamison, which would probably account for the lack of damage.

You know what I have had some troubles shipping large cal rounds before. Seems like UPS or USPS just cant handle ammo without damaging it. I am also noticing an increase in damages from UPS lately. I sent some 375CT ammo to a guy on here and he had the same problems, cracked necks on jamison brass. I think the brass is just weak. Jamison also did not offer to help him out from what he told me.

Did they ship it with insurance? Claim it if they did. And I know you spent alot of money on this stuff but why worry about how shiny it is. It still goes boom.

Yhat brass has issues if it has cracked with or without mis handeling in shipment. if you get a factory 308 how far can you bend the brass before it cracks a long way the brass should be able to handle that. the tips are a shipping issue and so is the box but seriously they should have been packaged better and for the cases having tarnish and damage that is also unaceptable this is not mill surplus it is high dollar so called match ammo i would look at getting a replacement batch of ammo from them hopefuly they will be able to do that but that brass willnot last long for reloading if it cracks that easy.

To address one issue at a time. First the fracturing of the cartridge necks is due to improper stress relief, causing the neck to have residual hardness. After there is a issue with the hardness, a number of factors will then contribute to the splitting that you see here. For one the tension of the bullet within the case neck, exposure to changes in temperature both high and low, and of coarse time during which the brass continues to harden.
Secondly yes it is our findings that the damage you are seeing to the tip of the projectile is indeed caused by shipping. We take great strides to insure that this is prevented, but we have found that with shippers where there is a will there is a way.
Lastly Jamison International aims to standby every product we build. So if you are having a problem, please call us at (605)-347-5090 or email at [email protected]
To any customer past, present, or future don't hesitate to contact about problems, issues, or interests. We firmly believe that happy shooters use more brass, so what is good for you is good for us.
Thank you.

Sounds to me that Jamison is standing behind their products. FWIW, I have some Jamison 338LM brass and have been using them. So far, I must say that I don't have any issues with that.