• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you guys with a Tavor - how do you like them?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

The Tavor looks like a pretty interesting bullpup design and I was looking for feedback from users that own them.

I have a few AR-15's and was thinking about selling one or so to put $ towards a Tavor since I can keep all my optics and shit for use on it.

I shot one here for the first time a couple weeks ago and I found to be uncomfortable and cramped for my long arms. I much preferred the ergonomics of my ar's.

Its a great gun for what it is. By far the best bullpup out there. Had one burn up in a house fire a few months ago but luckily I have two.

Its not a match rifle, its a combat carbine. The Trigger is perfectly servicable, but should you want something lighter, Bill makes a great trigger for it.

There is no reason not to buy one really. Its unique, capable and cool as shit. Its one of the few guns I will never sell.

I greatly preffer it over the AUG. The only thing the AUG has going for it over the Tavor is the quick change barrel, which is a novelty for that type of gun.

AUG is a mature 40 year old design with about 20 years of aftermarket support in the US. The Tavor hasn't even been out 2 years. They both are solid guns but if I had to chose one, it would without a doubt be the jew hammer. In fact, I need to pick up another.

I helped a guy mount an optic and sight one of these in. The factory trigger is heavy as f*ck.

The Desert Tech one is another option if you are looking for a bullpup.

Downfall of ALLLLLL bulpups, DA trigger! ONCE SOMEONE SOLVES THAT OH YA BABY!

I think the Tavor is a great platform. The mag changes are quick, mags drop free, and you can use a standard AR mag. It has basically fixed most of the problems that existed with prior bullpups.

Of course with any platform, you have to train to gain efficiency.

I have a Steyr as well and like Tavor more.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Tavor but I'm a big DTA fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People complain too much about the trigger. With a few mods like removing one of the spring (lots of videos showing how to do it) and polishing the mating surfaces, it comes down to a crisp 6 lb trigger pull. You still have the nasty bullpup trigger uptake and reset, but the release is sharp and reasonable compared to stock AR. I think its a great platform for the intended purposes of being a CQB gun.

I helped a guy mount an optic and sight one of these in. The factory trigger is heavy as f*ck.

The Desert Tech one is another option if you are looking for a bullpup.

Desert tech is vaporware and who knows where it will be priced at if it even comes to market.

People complain too much about the trigger. With a few mods like removing one of the spring (lots of videos showing how to do it) and polishing the mating surfaces, it comes down to a crisp 6 lb trigger pull. You still have the nasty bullpup trigger uptake and reset, but the release is sharp and reasonable compared to stock AR. I think its a great platform for the intended purposes of being a CQB gun.

Don't fuck with the trigger springs, you are inviting failure and malfunction into your weapon system. There is a reason it has two springs.

Either live with the stock trigger which is perfectly servicable for a carbine or drop the money on a Giesselle.

Timney has just started shipping their trigger for the TAVOR ($350). I received mine last week and it is night and day difference than the stock trigger. It is about a 4 to 4.5 lbs pull, you still have some take up like a first stage then a very clean break of the trigger. Money very well spent!

I just got one for my 13 year old to shoot. It offer a better balance for a lighter person to handle. He has trouble holding the weight of most long guns out infront of him because he doesn't have enough lead in his ass to off set the weight. With the tavor it puts more of the weight back closer to his shoulder which makes him more stable.
My wife also finds she likes the feel of the gun. We will run our first range test tomorrow. Going to run 300 to 400 rounds of Tula through it. Ill let you know how it does.

I love everything about mine except the trigger. I managed to get 1.5 moa after removing the 2nd trigger reset spring. I bet we could get that close to 1 moa with the timney, which is on.my shopping list. Just got mine locally for a decent price new.

Optic is the Meopta 1-4x ZD. Makes a very versatile package. Clear a house and shoot beyond 300 yards. Accessories for the front end are available too.

Scope bases need to be at least 1.5" to center for me, because the rail and stock are nearly the same height.

I just got one for my 13 year old to shoot. It offer a better balance for a lighter person to handle. He has trouble holding the weight of most long guns out infront of him because he doesn't have enough lead in his ass to off set the weight. With the tavor it puts more of the weight back closer to his shoulder which makes him more stable.
My wife also finds she likes the feel of the gun. We will run our first range test tomorrow. Going to run 300 to 400 rounds of Tula through it. Ill let you know how it does.

Good to know. Keep in mind they are a bit over gassed compared to the real Tavors. So while they should shoot wolf/tula and the underpowered ammo fine, they might have a ton of pressure with a Can. Hopefully they figure something out down the road where the gas settings can be adjusted for suppressed/unsuppressed.

It does really surprise me that someone invest in a production Of a carbine in this century that not have adjustable LOP......
That feels really odd....

It does really surprise me that someone invest in a production Of a carbine in this century that not have adjustable LOP......

Its like the tavor was designed for women, children and manlets. I spent a good while fingering one at a gun store last night, they just don't do it for me. They feel like a solid firearm though.

Its like the tavor was designed for women, children and manlets. I spent a good while fingering one at a gun store last night, they just don't do it for me. They feel like a solid firearm though.

Show me one Bullpup that has adjustable LOP. Just one.

From Germany from The Producer.

That is really irrelevant, i still thinks its very odd to make an infantry carbine without adjusyable LOP.

Half the world uses a bulpup for their military service rifle. None of them are adjustable. There is no free lunch.

Personally, I would have LOVED to carry a Tavor in Iraq over the m16/m4. Much better for vehicle ops and fighting from convoys.

French, brittish , Australian SF does Of some reason not use the bullpup....
Wonder why....

Anyhow, regardless Of what who uses in whatewer theater it's still odd that a producer choses to make a gun with non adjustable LOP in a time where females (smaller) should use the guns and where bodyarmour destroys the ergonomics....

No there is no free lunch, but it's not even difficult to make adjustable LOP but it will cost slightly more

French, brittish , Australian SF does Of some reason not use the bullpup....
Wonder why....

Anyhow, regardless Of what who uses in whatewer theater it's still odd that a producer choses to make a gun with non adjustable LOP in a time where females (smaller) should use the guns and where bodyarmour destroys the ergonomics....

No there is no free lunch, but it's not even difficult to make adjustable LOP but it will cost slightly more

They use the M4 for two reasons:

1. Interoperability with US special forces with they are integrate with and who they get the majority of their training with (IE Most of them get trained here in the US or by ODA's Training over there)
2. More rail space for gadgets.

The SA80 is a hunk of dog shit. Even with latest revisions its still junk. The FAMAS and AUG are both VERY good service rifles and the people who are issued them, love them. Their Special Operations use the M4 beacuse thats what the US uses, thats where the most rail space is, and that is the platform that all the major weapon, electro-optical and other gadget companies make their nut for.

I am having a hard time understanding that someone with the mechanical and engineering aptitude to make a complex mount cannot wrap his head around the fact that a bullpup's action is right in your face. Any additional buffer or space for complex adjustments would defeat the whole purpose of it. Its science bro.

If its so easy, why don't you make one. Or is it just some big conspiracy that the last 10 or so most produced bullpups all do not have adjustable length of pull. FN, IWI, Steyr, China, Keltec, ect must be full of retards I guess.

i have one. its the IDF with the meprolight optic
the optic sucks compared to an low power acog. reticle blurs significantly (maybe astigmatism or something on my part) which is not an issue with the acog. optic washes out EASILY like a burnt out acog if you aim toward light

the rifle is bulky and not lighter than a m4, but rear balanced

non adjustable piston is maybe slightly louder than my colt commando suppressed
my buddies said that the trigger was better than my MSAR, but i thought them about them same
no malfunctions with any ammo, including cheap laquered steel stuff
seems accurate enough, but i really couldnt shoot dimes with that optic
manual of arms is superior to the AUG, but AUG seems sleeker
I like it good enough to keep it for now
it is like 1.5" shorter than a 11.5" colt commando (with a 16.5" bbl) without the tax stamp

SA80 is just garbage. Didn't the old chaps across the pond have a lot of issues with that until their "A1" model or whatever was developed?

The FAMAS just doesn't have any rails for optics or anything from the looks of it, not to mention there isn't any available that I can find stateside.

You guys sure are passionate about your bullpups!

u6a5ymuv.jpg

Won't get to shoot it till Sunday but but I have been finger fucking it a bit and it is one neat weapon.

Like said above for vehicle ops and CQB......what is what most anti terror ops are.....it's easy to say I like it better than my AR plat forms. We'll see about out in the field later.
It is great for out the window of a vehicle as opposed to a SBR as you get to keep you Muzzle velocity with the 18" barrel.

I have also been trying it on with my IOTV and the LOP seams just fine for me. Also it hangs from the sling great.

You can sit here and Monday morning quarter back any gun and pick them all apart for this reason or that. It's all about mission needs and training when it all comes down to it.

The internals are very simple. I really like the fit and finish on everything inside.

Cobracutter
I am not against bullpups and I can definitely see the points with them.
But as I have written multipletimes in this thread is I cannot understand why there is no adjustable LOP.

The guns userfriendlyness would gain a lot by that feature and it would not be difficult to make.

Don't fuck with the trigger springs, you are inviting failure and malfunction into your weapon system. There is a reason it has two springs.

Either live with the stock trigger which is perfectly servicable for a carbine or drop the money on a Giesselle.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about and haven't taken a Tavor trigger apart. There are two springs on the trigger pack for the trigger action (not the hammer spring) and the additional spring is not necessary unless you plan to operate it under extreme conditions when you have sand and grit get directly into the trigger action deep in the rifle. If you plan to operate in that condition, the additional spring is more of a belt and suspenders approach for reliability. Another reason may be related to the "happy switch" capability of military rifles that civilians with semi auto mode will not be subjected to. After removal of the spring, it operates like any AR type trigger with only one return spring for the trigger action. If Geissele, Timney or any vendor "improves" on the stock design, I'm sure they will remove that spring. There is absolutely no way they can add an additional spring that adds additional 4 lbs of pull onto a stock setup and not affect the trigger pull. Does this mean the Geissele or the Timney triggers are less reliable?

To the OP, there are a couple things I don't like about the Tavor.
1) Controls are obviously different than AR, but locking the bolt requires you to pull the handle and use your other hand to lift the mechanism near the magazine area. With the bolt closed, it is harder to push the magazine in and lock it into place. When the bolt is open, the magazine locks easily. If the bolt is locked back, any slight shock would make the bolt drop into battery also.
2) The gases are closer to your face and you will be exposed to the fumes during firing. I heard this problem is worse if you are using a suppressor.
3) The recoil action feels like a double pulse and you can feel the slide and balance move after each shot. Its probably due to the long stiff spring on the bolt carrier and resting your cheek very close to the spring on the rifle. Its not horrendously bad, but it is a different and noisier spring sound/impulse than most ARs.

I suggest you find someone who has it and willing to let you try it out first without having to make a commitment to buy. Its not everyone's cup of tea. If you can overlook some of the "negatives", it definitely serves a niche for situations that require a shorter rifle without going down a path of getting a SBR. Its one of the few options in California if you need that capability.

Last edited:
They use the M4 for two reasons:

1. Interoperability with US special forces with they are integrate with and who they get the majority of their training with (IE Most of them get trained here in the US or by ODA's Training over there)
2. More rail space for gadgets.

The SA80 is a hunk of dog shit. Even with latest revisions its still junk. The FAMAS and AUG are both VERY good service rifles and the people who are issued them, love them. Their Special Operations use the M4 beacuse thats what the US uses, thats where the most rail space is, and that is the platform that all the major weapon, electro-optical and other gadget companies make their nut for.

I am having a hard time understanding that someone with the mechanical and engineering aptitude to make a complex mount cannot wrap his head around the fact that a bullpup's action is right in your face. Any additional buffer or space for complex adjustments would defeat the whole purpose of it. Its science bro.

If its so easy, why don't you make one. Or is it just some big conspiracy that the last 10 or so most produced bullpups all do not have adjustable length of pull. FN, IWI, Steyr, China, Keltec, ect must be full of retards I guess.

u6a5ymuv.jpg

Won't get to shoot it till Sunday but but I have been finger fucking it a bit and it is one neat weapon.

Like said above for vehicle ops and CQB......what is what most anti terror ops are.....it's easy to say I like it better than my AR plat forms. We'll see about out in the field later.
It is great for out the window of a vehicle as opposed to a SBR as you get to keep you Muzzle velocity with the 18" barrel.

I have also been trying it on with my IOTV and the LOP seams just fine for me. Also it hangs from the sling great.

You can sit here and Monday morning quarter back any gun and pick them all apart for this reason or that. It's all about mission needs and training when it all comes down to it.

The internals are very simple. I really like the fit and finish on everything inside.

I love mine. Can't wait for the Geissele trigger for it. The trigger now breaks at 10.8 lbs on mine. It's pretty accurate from a bench.
I would look at it or the AUG.
But I agree 100 % with the above statement.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about and haven't taken a Tavor trigger apart. There are two springs on the trigger pack for the trigger action (not the hammer spring) and the additional spring is not necessary unless you plan to operate it under extreme conditions when you have sand and grit get directly into the trigger action deep in the rifle. If you plan to operate in that condition, the additional spring is more of a belt and suspenders approach for reliability. Another reason may be related to the "happy switch" capability of military rifles that civilians with semi auto mode will not be subjected to. After removal of the spring, it operates like any AR type trigger with only one return spring for the trigger action. If Geissele, Timney or any vendor "improves" on the stock design, I'm sure they will remove that spring. There is absolutely no way they can add an additional spring that adds additional 4 lbs of pull onto a stock setup and not affect the trigger pull. Does this mean the Geissele or the Timney triggers are less reliable?

To the OP, there are a couple things I don't like about the Tavor.
1) Controls are obviously different than AR, but locking the bolt requires you to pull the handle and use your other hand to lift the mechanism near the magazine area. With the bolt closed, it is harder to push the magazine in and lock it into place. When the bolt is open, the magazine locks easily. If the bolt is locked back, any slight shock would make the bolt drop into battery also.
2) The gases are closer to your face and you will be exposed to the fumes during firing. I heard this problem is worse if you are using a suppressor.
3) The recoil action feels like a double pulse and you can feel the slide and balance move after each shot. Its probably due to the long stiff spring on the bolt carrier and resting your cheek very close to the spring on the rifle. Its not horrendously bad, but it is a different and noisier spring sound/impulse than most ARs.

I suggest you find someone who has it and willing to let you try it out first without having to make a commitment to buy. Its not everyone's cup of tea. If you can overlook some of the "negatives", it definitely serves a niche for situations that require a shorter rifle without going down a path of getting a SBR. Its one of the few options in California if you need that capability.

IWI will tell you to leave it in. Call up Micheal Kasner and ask him. You can run into reliability issues by removing it. It is there for a reason.

Considering all the foreign aid we give to Israel - we probably paid for the R&D on this gun and should get a great discount. I think its a limited application trendy gun that has gotten too much publicity. I would be concerned with long term reliability and replacement parts.

There is no one gun that is perfect for every situation, thats why there are so many out there. This weapon was designed for urban close quarter combat, it's not a tactical/sniper rifle so there is no need for it to be 1moa or less accurate. As far as reliability, it is battle proven for years now, and none of the troops that have used it will give it up.

That being said, mine has functioned flawlessly with everything that I have put down the tube. And I must say if you have one and can get your hands on a 9mm conversion it is well worth the money, very accurate and cheap to shoot. 9mm also eliminates the aforementioned over gas issue, and with a suppressor it is SUPER QUITE and still shorter than an AR. Put in the training time as you should with any system, and it is a very capable system you can be just as effective with it as an AR system. I think that if you have the extra cash to sink into one of the aftermarket triggers it would be an improvement, but not absolutely necessary unless you are trying to shoot groups, and thats not what it was designed for. If you like the bullpup design and use this gun within the parameters for which it was designed, you will love the Tavor system.

Our first day with the tavor was ok. Got it sited in at 100 yards with the cheap Tula ammo. We only shot about 70 rounds from it. The wind was cranking at 28mph and the dust and dirt was sand blasting us like crazy.
But it ran the cheap stuff just fine.
We will be getting the geissele trigger for it. The trigger is long and the reset is really long. Makes it kind of hard to do quick follow up shots.
I love the recoil from it though. No muzzle jump.

3yvybuja.jpg
rejazysy.jpg

IWI will tell you to leave it in. Call up Micheal Kasner and ask him. You can run into reliability issues by removing it. It is there for a reason.

Let me know if IWI will suggest if you should to switch to Geissele or Timney triggers on their guns. IWI will always tell you to keep the stock trigger not for reliability issues, but for legal issues.

Last edited:
Let me know if IWI will suggest if you should to switch to Geissele or Timney triggers on their guns. IWI will always tell you to keep the stock trigger not for reliability issues, but for legal issues.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I'm waiting for the Geissele trigger personally. Their stuff is great. Never used a Timney before...so my opinion is skewed

Considering all the foreign aid we give to Israel - we probably paid for the R&D on this gun and should get a great discount. I think its a limited application trendy gun that has gotten too much publicity. I would be concerned with long term reliability and replacement parts.

And in turn they spend the majority of that money, BUYING defense products from US. We don't give them money out of kindness of our hearts, we give it beacuse of national security. Having a well armed aly right in the middle of the shitstorm with well established HUMIT and other intelligence capabilities, is worth every penny we give them. In fact: https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...Hh2eTw&usg=AFQjCNFJdmQb_sWj1EznePDrPnZJ3VfyzQ

In 2007, the Bush Administration and the Israeli government agreed to a 10-year, $30 billion
military aid package for the period from FY2009 to FY2018. During his March 2013 visit to
Israel, President Obama pledged that the United States would continue to provide Israel with
multi-year commitments of military aid subject to the approval of Congress.
The FY2014 Consolidated Appropriations Act (P.L. 113-76) provides the President’s full $3.1
billion request in FMF for Israel. In addition, it provides another $504 million in funding for
research, development, and production of Israel’s Iron Dome anti-rocket system ($235 million)
and of the joint U.S.-Israel missile defense systems David’s Sling ($149.7 million), the Arrow
improvement program (or Arrow II, $44.3 million), and Arrow III ($74.7 million).

So 3 Billion a year, which most gets spent with US defense firms, along with funding development of many programs and systems that directly benefit the US........

Thats a poor straw-man argument. I know damn well that if you called Micheal Kasner like I said, he would without a doubt advise you to use either of those aftermarket triggers before you start removing or clipping springs in the factory gun. Try again.

I do not own one, but have used it. My impressions on it is that it is an extremely well balanced rifle and has very little muzzle rise and recoil. To me the ergonomics are great but would take some getting used to as I have lots of muscle memory already implemented on the AR and AK platform. The trigger does suck on it but Geissele does make a trigger for them now... The balance and very small overall package while having a 16" barrel alone are reasons I would pick one up if I had the spare change. In my opinion the rifle is definitely a win.

From what I've read, IWI opened up a stateside factory to produce these so they could use our foreign aid money on them (apparently our foreign aid money goes out with the condition it be used to purchase U.S. manufactured products). So it's technically discounted just by not having to be shipped from the other side of the planet.

You've got to remember too that it was developed for a mostly mechanized force, with those needs in mind, not the commercial consumer.

As for long term reliability and replacement parts, I would think that a rifle distributed to an army that's pretty much on constant war footing is going to have a lot of spares behind it, not to mention some intensive testing before being fielded in a desert environment. The IDF isn't big enough for them to use their soldiers as bullet sponges with toy guns.

AUG is a mature 40 year old design with about 20 years of aftermarket support in the US. The Tavor hasn't even been out 2 years. They both are solid guns but if I had to chose one, it would without a doubt be the jew hammer. In fact, I need to pick up another.

That said, I do want one of these, but I'm going to wait a bit and see if they make some adjustments as the design matures. An adjustable gas block, maybe some more aftermarket parts.

Haters gonna hate.

It is a great firearm and I think it's not just trendy but legit. I see people on here calling it trendy... Well explain the AR, or the Ai or DTA? All trendy guns.

Haters gonna hate.

It is a great firearm and I think it's not just trendy but legit. I see people on here calling it trendy... Well explain the AR, or the Ai or DTA? All trendy guns.

Very trendy guns for those who don't or can't afford them. They are all worth every penny! Like I said before the Tavor is awesome and reliable. Love it

From what I've read, IWI opened up a stateside factory to produce these so they could use our foreign aid money on them (apparently our foreign aid money goes out with the condition it be used to purchase U.S. manufactured products). So it's technically discounted just by not having to be shipped from the other side of the planet.

You've got to remember too that it was developed for a mostly mechanized force, with those needs in mind, not the commercial consumer.

As for long term reliability and replacement parts, I would think that a rifle distributed to an army that's pretty much on constant war footing is going to have a lot of spares behind it, not to mention some intensive testing before being fielded in a desert environment. The IDF isn't big enough for them to use their soldiers as bullet sponges with toy guns.

That said, I do want one of these, but I'm going to wait a bit and see if they make some adjustments as the design matures. An adjustable gas block, maybe some more aftermarket parts.

I am not sure on the exact company structure, but Micheal Kasner has been trying to bring the Tavor to the US market for over 5 years. I have followed his posts and he has worked his ass off to get to this point. Based on his title, I think IWI might actual own the company/facilities and he is the VP of operations stateside. Either way, its great for the consumer. He said parts should be up on the website anyday now and they are selling every rifle they can produce.

Keep this in mind. They have made 20K tavors in the last year. Everyone has been sold, and very very few of them have any issues. THAT is damn impressive. Especialy considering ALL variants of the AUG that have been improted/made in the USA over the last 30 years total to around 18K. 20K and still going in 1 year vs 18K in 30+ years...............amazing.

I like mine. The trigger is heavy but crisp. Manual of arms is very ergonomically laid out, once you figure out how to do it. Shorter than my Mk18Mod0 and it has a 16" barrel.

I run an Eotech 552 on mine but found the sight picture much improved by using a YHM riser. Of course you could drop a EXPS or a 553, or any optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness and not have to mess with the riser.

Shooting steel at 300 is almost boring with this thing.

If you have to carry a carbine in a pretty much ready position most of the day rather than on a sling or such, the Tavor balances nicely on your arm.
The built in 45 degree offset front rail piece is pretty nice
The safety seems backwards at first go, but is fairly useful as your initial motor skills will turn it to fire if you go to grab it hard to fire.

Its a great gun for what it is. By far the best bullpup out there. Had one burn up in a house fire a few months ago but luckily I have two.

Its not a match rifle, its a combat carbine. The Trigger is perfectly servicable, but should you want something lighter, Bill makes a great trigger for it.

There is no reason not to buy one really. Its unique, capable and cool as shit. Its one of the few guns I will never sell.
If you want a good bullpup trigger DTA has by far the best and they just released a Tavor killer this year. I would suggest you check them out-Great American company out of Utah!

If you want a good bullpup trigger DTA has by far the best and they just released a Tavor killer this year. I would suggest you check them out-Great American company out of Utah!

DTA hasn't released shit yet. They are vaporware and no one knows if they will even bring it to market. Shot Show is littered every year with new products and promised that never come to fruition.

Furthermore, the TAVOR has over 10 years of very successful military service behind it and quite a big following here in the US.

I would hold your rolls before calling something a tavor killer, when it doesn't even exist yet. Ever heard of the Masada? DTA has zero experience making semi auto guns much less a ruggedized military carbine. You cant get a hat from DTA for under $3k.... wonder how much this carbine will cost. Anywhere close to a $1700 Tavor?

Last edited: