• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you that neck size only

Superjet06

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Boise ID
Do you change your load with new brass from your load you've fire formed your brass with?
With my new remington 5R, I accidently found my dream load first time out with new brass, .250-.400moa cofirmed with 30 rounds. Is it safe to assume I should just neck size and load up as the exact same as before?

Re: For you that neck size only

I dont change my load. Care to share the dream load?

SJ,

You may wish to test backing off about 0.5gr, since about that much energy from the powder will go into fireforming the case.

HTH,
DocB

Back it off? if anything he might have to up his load a bit to get the same velocity because his brass has larger capacity after being fireformed to his chamber.

Nosler Brass, 175smk, BR2, H4895 43.0gr, 2.820"oal. 4 5-shot groups. 3 out of the 5 groups were under .370 moa. it looked like a great in the optimal charge process. The rotation from point of aim was great, very low SD.

Yes, I usually always Neck size only once I have formed a "new case". A lot of times I am not so lucky to get my load dialed in with Virgin brass. But in the few cases ( Pun Intended) I have, I neck size and check the group again.... Always improve or stay the same. The extra 1-2 uses you get from neck sizing is worth it to me.

USMCj,

Yes, back it off. Case is basically the same, since the limiting factor is the chamber. Worked in all the .308 based rifles where I've used reloaded neck sized ammo.

HTH,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Superjet06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you change your load with new brass from your load you've fire formed your brass with?
With my new remington 5R, I accidently found my dream load first time out with new brass, .250-.400moa cofirmed with 30 rounds. Is it safe to assume I should just neck size and load up as the exact same as before? </div></div>
It will be close. In my Surgeon 260, my load increased .1 grains for the same sweet spot when the brass was new. Try .1 grains higher and lower of your load, and see what it does.