• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you younger gents!

Sharpsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Rayville, La.
The Ole Warhorse ain't dead! I got to fire 5 rounds yesterday afternoon through my Ole Warhorse using some new Win brass that I turned the necks on this morning as I'm still checking out my pillar bedding job. This dude and load are working like a charm I must say. Load is 53.6 grs. H4350 behind a Berger 190 VLD target bullet w/Russian primers. I intended to shoot 10 rounds but there was some air to ground lightening in the area so when I saw that starting to pop I quit. These 5 rounds went into a group 1 1/2" vertical x 1 3/4" horizontal from 600 yards and I do have a BIG SMILE on my old kisser! I don't believe the 30/06 is quite dead yet! Maybe for the younger set but for one old guy....I'm still loving it!

5 shot group 600 yd. by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

This is my old NRA Match Rifle that's kind of been in retirement and I recently pulled off the irons and stuck a NF 5.5x22x56MM atop it. I think the pillar job is working!
grin.gif

Re: For you younger gents!

Nice, the 06 is a great round for sure. How about a pic of the old warhorse, nice shooting by the way.

Ain't much to look at I'm fearful....nothing fancy like you guys but it do fair. This is my old NRA Match Rifle I used for a short time shooting across the course; changed over to a short action in .308 Win for that as the short action helped to make time for the 200 and 300 sustained fire events. But I won some stuff with this '06 just the same. It's been in retirement for a while but I took it out of the safe a while back...dropped the action down into and old stock I found, pillar bedded it and mounted it with my 5.5x22x56MM NF. It appears to love the Berger 190 VLD Target slugs kicked along by the 53.6 gr. of H4350 and Russian primers.

OleWarHorse by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Here's a 12 round group it shot for me about 3 weeks back from 800 yds.:

The white clanger is of AR400 plating and is 20" diameter.

'06800 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Well done sir. 1/4" MOA is frieking fantastic for any rifle/age/person!!!

Great shooting!!! That rifle looks very, very nice!

Good work. Shooting like this makes you feel young again. My hats off to you sir.

Very nicely done. I am also one of those guys that shoots a 30-06 as my long range target gun too. Been playing with the idea of trying the 190's for a bit now. Looks like I am gonna have to give 'em a go soon.

Excellent Shooting! I can't wait till I get the chance to build a rifle! It will definately be the good old '06!

No matter what people say I think it will still out shoot many rifles any day of the week!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the looks of it maybe you need to get the old warhorse to some new matches, great shooting sir. </div></div>

Thank you guys for your comments but at age 72 I think my match days are over...not that I couldn't compete but I've gotten to the point where I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren and that's where my priorities are! I have 4 grandsons age 10-14 and I've coached them all such that they are deadly at 1000 yards with a couple of my rifles. All hunt deer, the 14 year old has made a couple of elk hunts already, and I've called up gobblers for two which they've taken already so my time isn't my own! And as I type this I'm sitting only 500 yards from my 1000 yard firing line and I can shoot back to 1600 if I so desire! Right now....things are good at Clear Lake, La. Thanks again for your comments and best of luck to all!

HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!

Here's my range from the 1000 yard line!

My Range by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

DistRiflemanBadge by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Nice shooting! Warms the soul to hear about you taking the time to teach marksmanship and hunting skills to your grand kids. I bet they love it and will cherish those memories forever. Good on you sir!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting! Warms the soul to hear about you taking the time to teach marksmanship and hunting skills to your grand kids. I bet they love it and will cherish those memories forever. Good on you sir!! </div></div>

This is another thing I'm going to teach the kids:

RickMulhernSprayingCotton2005 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

My son took this of me few years back. Did this for 40 years!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting! Warms the soul to hear about you taking the time to teach marksmanship and hunting skills to your grand kids. I bet they love it and will cherish those memories forever. Good on you sir!! </div></div>

My son took this of me few years back. Did this for 40 years! </div></div>

Air Tractor?

Great group! I'm jealous of your 1000 yard range. 1000 yd ranges are hard to come by here in MO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting! Warms the soul to hear about you taking the time to teach marksmanship and hunting skills to your grand kids. I bet they love it and will cherish those memories forever. Good on you sir!! </div></div>

My son took this of me few years back. Did this for 40 years! </div></div>

Air Tractor? </div></div>

Yep...502! Fine machine!!

That is awesome... Getting the kids involved is all of our job and handling 4 of them, that is 4 jobs...

My wife is pregnant with my first and I already have his fishing pole and .22 ready for him...

Good Luck...