• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

foreign ammo ?

rescueswimmer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
STL, MO
My local shop got in some russian/bulgarian/hungarian ammo. in .308 It appears it has a fat rim compared to the normal american .308. I did do a search and google and did not find an answer.

Could one of you ammo connisour's let me know the difference. Can I shoot this out of my bolt gun or semi. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again

RS

Re: foreign ammo ?

Does it look like this?
ammo54Rshowcase.jpg

If so... no

Yep it looks like that, Well not that but were you ment to link me.

What the hell can shoot that. They had a shit load of this crap pretty cheap.

This... its a Mosin Nagant
Mosin-Nagant-Long-01.jpg

They have 4 or 5 crates of these rifles for around 150 bucks each, there is a shorter version too. For some reason I think a dragonov can shoot them too but I could be wrong.

That's 7.62x54R

It's a stellar round when loaded properly in a properly headspaced rifle. It's equivalent to a 30-06 in almost every way and it fits in a short action.

I have 2 MN 91/30's like shown above, they're wonderful rifles.

The ammo is .310 or .311 diameter bullets, don't try pulling them and shooting them in a 308. You'll wear it.

That being said, if you buy one of those rifles and take the time to work a load for it you can do some damn fine shooting with it.

Much of the stuff on the market in that caliber is still corrosive unless it's new manufacture Wolf ammo. Anything pre 1985 is suspect for foreign military ammo.

It shoots great, but if you don't clean every metal surface in the action and bore you will have a rusty pile of junk over the course of a year.

And yes, the Dragunov uses that round.

There are 2 shorter versions. The M39 and the M44, both use the same action they just have shorter barrels. I have an M44 Tula and it's a great rifle, but it kicks like an an angry horse. Light rifle and full bore 200 grain bullets in the mid to upper 2000's make for a nasty combination with steel butt plates and short LOP stocks.