• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spindrift7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2017
Eastern Iowa
I have followed this site for quite a long time, and this is my first post. I searched and couldn’t find any info pertaining to this so I hope I’m posting it in the right place.
I’ve been looking at forend wrap options for my Ruger RPR. I saw one called

SUB-TAC MEGA RAIL WRAP​

Does anybody have experience with these? Are there any others that someone would recommend?
Any opinions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There's this one.

Depending on what you want it to look like, you could always use a bottom leg of an old BDU, etc. Paracord is cheap. Looks and effectiveness are two different things.

Reactions: Spindrift7
Sub-Tac claims 1800F temp rating. I didn’t see what material it’s made from but that seems awfully high.
Burnproof gear are 800F and Kevlar DuPont material. I have these and know they work. Pricey but good.

We went with Velcro for our design as it’s much easier and IMO much cleaner looking than laces.

Hi,

Ok, so call me blonde, dumb, etc but serious question, lol.......

What would be the reason of wrapping the forend of your bolt action rifle; as in:
1. What are you wanting to accomplish?
2. What are you wanting to not do?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: 6brshooter
There's this one.

Depending on what you want it to look like, you could always use a bottom leg of an old BDU, etc. Paracord is cheap. Looks and effectiveness are two different things.
I originally was going to go with that one. In their photos of it, the 550 cord is routed thru the slots on the upper rail. I wasn’t sure that since my forend has no tail on the top, that it would be a problem or not as far as it being secure and moving around quite a bit. I even considered adding two small rail sections that are spaced out on top, just for added security.
As far as looks go, I’m not concerned with how my rifle looks, my only concern is how it functions.

Hi,

What would be the reason of wrapping the forend of your bolt action rifle; as in:

Sincerely,
Theis
My reason for it may be different than others, but I was wanting it for protecting the forearm when shooting off of supports, like barricades, fence posts, fallen trees etc. Besides, range use, I also use my rifle for hunting.

Reactions: 6brshooter
I get that, I've used a non slid pad velcro to bottom of forend for field use, worked fine when not using a bipod, tripod, or ruck. Looks like these forend wraps would hold alot of heat in the barrel, maybe not a big deal on a 308, but I'd want a different mousetrap for a hot 6mm.

I get that, I've used a non slid pad velcro to bottom of forend for field use, worked fine when not using a bipod, tripod, or ruck. Looks like these forend wraps would hold alot of heat in the barrel, maybe not a big deal on a 308, but I'd want a different mousetrap for a hot 6mm.
I’m running a Ruger RPR 6.5 Creedmoor Gen 2. The loads I’m making are Barnes 140gr at 2550. I don’t go as fast as most people because where I’m at in Iowa, I only have access to a 200 yard range. There are more optional loads out there but for my needs, this works good. I don’t compete at all, just shoot for fun and hunt. Given all of that info, in your opinion, would a full wrap style be a bad idea?

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

I guess like me you don’t put protective film on the face of your hammers or the back of your chisels.

I’ve considered ska8board tape for traction but that’s about it.

I think a few things are being mixed

Insulators are more for guys doing mag dumps, so they don't get warm fingers

Forend skin, cover, wrap, pad is more for guys who don't want a hard surface on a hard surface when shooting positional or for guys trying to keep a rifle scratch free(🤣)

Or just to look OPAF!

To each their own.

I’m just looking for something to put on the rifle to protect it when it’s being fired off of different types of surfaces. That’s it. I don’t do dumb ass mag dumps, and I’m not worried about heat. When I hunt, I’m usually hunting farmsteads, thinning out coyotes. I’ve shot off the top of concrete walls, farm implements, etc. I don’t want to be carrying a bag around the whole time so I was looking at those wraps as protection from keeping my rifle from getting damaged unnecessarily and to provide some friction against whatever support I’m using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit
I’m just looking for something to put on the rifle to protect it when it’s being fired off of different types of surfaces. That’s it. I don’t do dumb ass mag dumps, and I’m not worried about heat. When I hunt, I’m usually hunting farmsteads, thinning out coyotes. I’ve shot off the top of concrete walls, farm implements, etc. I don’t want to be carrying a bag around the whole time so I was looking at those wraps as protection from keeping my rifle from getting damaged unnecessarily and to provide some friction against whatever support I’m using.
I use the PIG Skin barricade pad.
506C8B85-2CC6-4817-BC4D-B102AD0B384A.jpeg

I think a few things are being mixed

Insulators are more for guys doing mag dumps, so they don't get warm fingers

Forend skin, cover, wrap, pad is more for guys who don't want a hard surface on a hard surface when shooting positional or for guys trying to keep a rifle scratch free(🤣)

Or just to look OPAF!

To each their own.
Whats this opaf, I'm only aware of OAF, lol. I think it would act as a heat insulator, regardless of whether mag dumps were done. I prefer some air getting to my barrels, especially throat and first several inches of rifling. Granted, I've never found a accurate load that was going too fast, lol.

Whats this opaf, I'm only aware of OAF, lol. I think it would act as a heat insulator, regardless of whether mag dumps were done. I prefer some air getting to my barrels, especially throat and first several inches of rifling. Granted, I've never found a accurate load that was going that fast
Exactly !!