• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forester dies

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am new to reloading and just ordered Forester Bench Rest .223 Dies for loading AR .223 ammo for target shooting. I thought the $64.00 was a little expensive but i had heard good things about Redding and Forester dies.
Did I make a good choice for a .223 seating and sizing die?
What would you guys recomend for dies for loading match .300 Win. Mag. ammo? I have a Surgeon Remedy I want to start reloading ammo to get better accuracy. Best gun I ever bought!

Re: Forester dies

Forster's are great die's, I don't think you will disappointed in the least. Worth the money.

I'd say the same about Redding as well, the S-Type Bushing die is a great product.

Had you gotten lesser dies, I would say that they were a poorer choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to reloading and just ordered Forester Bench Rest .223 Dies for loading AR .223 ammo for target shooting. I thought the $64.00 was a little expensive but i had heard good things about Redding and Forester dies.
Did I make a good choice for a .223 seating and sizing die?
What would you guys recomend for dies for loading match .300 Win. Mag. ammo? I have a Surgeon Remedy I want to start reloading ammo to get better accuracy. Best gun I ever bought! </div></div>

Does your set come with the 223 MicroSeating die? If so, it's not a bad price.

Also, I'd go with the Redding Bushing dies for the 300 WM if you're going for target grade ammo for long 1k+ distances. Maybe get a Body die and both a bushing neck sizer and FL sizer die. Can't help with with the TiNi bushing sizes, though.

Chris

I wouldn't think a Surgeon shooter would be too concerned with the $20 difference between Forster and Redding dies (insert smiley here!). I have both, really like the Redding bushing dies, both the micro-just neck and the Type "S" FL. The Redding bushings work with the Wilson dies, too. I think the Forster bushings are proprietary, although don't have one to compare. The micrometer seating dies are identical in function between the two. No preference there, although the Forsters are cheaper, same-same.

AG in NC

Not a fan of the Forester dies, very soft spindle material that will bend with only finger pressure. The micro adjust bullet seater increments are a lot harder to see at least for me than Redding. Plus customer service is not up to par with the rest of the industry.

I have 2 Forester die sets. One with the standard bullet seater, and one with the micro-adjust seater. I like the micro-adjust seater better, but Bronco is right. I have to shine a flashlight on it so I can see the graduations better when I make an adjustment (to be fair, my corner of basement is not the best lit work area). Still, it's nice to see you need to go 3/1,000" deeper and be able to measure it precisely rather than go with the usual trial and error.

A set of shims allows for precise adjustment of non-micrometer dies.