• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Forgive my retarded scope question! Turret knobs?

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Can someone explain to me what all those lines under the knobs are and how to read them? I alway just zero in my rifle for whatever range and then guess on the mildot. Please help me on this.

IMG_0616-1.jpg

Re: Forgive my retarded scope question! Turret kno

It's just to help keep track of which revolution of your turret you are on (ie, at different number of complete turret rotations, the knob will cover more or less of those lines you refer to depending on which way the knob is turning). You don't really need to "read" them, so much as know what your zero looks like so you can get back to it after dialing dope for different ranges. When you are actually dialing dope from your zero, you should be able to keep track of what rotation you are on, and shouldn't need to refer to said lines.

Re: Forgive my retarded scope question! Turret knobs?

Those are you're come up counters. Take note of the line that it is on when your scope is zeroed. When you dial your come ups and then want to come back to your zero, return to the line it was on when you were on zero. Same for windage.

i use the lines to make sure im at my 100 yard zero and not a whole rotation off, I'm sure there's a better use for them but thats one of em

Thanx guys, I'm still trying to learn all this and sometimes I feel my brain is being fried.

When my scope actually has those, I fill the line which represents my zero in with red colored pencil.

That's my only beef with the Erek knob on a US Optics. For some reason they don't etch those lines in. It's not a huge deal, because it's easy to get back to zero, but it would be nice to tell how far up you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my scope actually has those, I fill the line which represents my zero in with red colored pencil.

That's my only beef with the Erek knob on a US Optics. For some reason they don't etch those lines in. It's not a huge deal, because it's easy to get back to zero, but it would be nice to tell how far up you are. </div></div>

One thing is for sure, if you are past 2 turns you are way the hell out there!
laugh.gif

these are used as already said for compensation in wind and distance usually there used in long ranges
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my scope actually has those, I fill the line which represents my zero in with red colored pencil.

That's my only beef with the Erek knob on a US Optics. For some reason they don't etch those lines in. It's not a huge deal, because it's easy to get back to zero, but it would be nice to tell how far up you are. </div></div>

i have them on my uso with erek....

Like these lines? I wonder if you can send your USO back and have them just etch it in for you. Couldn't hurt to ask but if you don't need it then no biggie...

USO52809019.jpg