• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 1 box 4c and 4e questons

WyoWindCall

#youknowmorethanme
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
SE WYO
I want to submit a Form 1 to build an SBR. I want to build it for a 300blk, 9mm, 5.56mm, 22lr, ext. but what I have been reading as of the last year is that you can only list one caliber on the form in box 4c. If I listed the primary caliber that I want to use in the box (300blk) then does that mean I cant but a different caliber upper on it that is equal to or longer than what was registered, even though it would be less than 16.1". For example say I register the 300blk with a 7.5" barrel, and I want to put a 11.5" 5.56mm upper on it on occasion, can I do that without needing to refile a different form 1 for the different configuration?

Also, part 2 to my question, If the SBR is registered with the given barrel length does that mean I can only put that length of barrel on the lower? Or can I put another barrel/upper on the lower that has a barrel equal to or longer than the registered length (still saying the length would be less than 16.1"). Refer to my example in the first paragraph.

Sorry if that makes your head hurt. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Read the FAQ at NFA branches website. Here is a link. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

As for the issue with cal and barrel length the regs are very clear. You can change either of them without permission and ATF requests (note that it is a request) that you inform them of permanent changes to the firearm so that they can keep the registry straight. What this means is that you don't need permission and you don't have to inform them if you don't want. In addition, with the AR type platform the swapping of an upper takes a few seconds so there are really no permanent changes as they can be swapped back nearly instantly. Getting rid of a barrel makes it fairly permanent but even then you can get another.
Answer to your question is pick a cal to put on the form. You can only put one cal there and the same with the barrel length. You can change it without issue at any time and if you feel like you must you can send a letter to NFA branch to update them. It won't affect the form in your hand however and really doesn't need to.

Hope that helps

Frank

Thanks Frank, that actually is allot of help and great information. I will proceed with my Form 1.

If you do the online eForm Form 1, you have to pick a caliber based on the manufacturer of the lower. I have a Del-Ton and the only option was 5.56.

Cool, thanks.

It was not a problem, as that lower is in 5.56.

The best way to do this is to complete form 1 using your primary caliber and then send ATF a letter after the fact stating the additional calibers/lengths that will be used on the lower. They will approve the letter and return it. ATF has given guidance about this issue and indicated possessing multiple short barreled uppers poses great risk for possession of unregistered SBRs through the doctrine of constructive possession. Think about it - most of us own lots of AR lowers (title I that are 16" +) that can easily be paired with a short upper and boom - unregistered SBR. Of course this is hyper technical, but it is easily enough to write the simple letter and then you are better protected.