• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Form 1 efile approved Brace Feb 5th file

I filed 5 brace form 1's via E-file. I filled them out on Feb 5th. It was approved today. One of them anyways. Just thought I would give you guys any update.
So can you put a stock on that now? I SBR’d mine years ago but just curious if this is SBR or just for a brace?

So can you put a stock on that now? I SBR’d mine years ago but just curious if this is SBR or just for a brace?

Once a person receives their approved Form 1 then they can swap the brace out for a stock if they want to. The Form 1 fro braces is just a tax exempt Form 1 for making a SBR.

Reactions: hafejd30
I did my first five. I still have three more I am contemplating. All were done at the same time. Will be interesting to see when they all come back. All done with in the hour.

Sure wish the efile form 4’s were that fast. My 1’s were about 25 days each. Just to wait 9-15 months for a can…

Reactions: RPN
I did a Form 1 ($200 stamp) on a lower, Feb. 11th, still waiting. ATF site says 40 days e-file. Uh huh. If it shows up tomorrow morning, it'll officially be labeled my Jesus gun.

Reactions: RPN
GifMeme21153508042023.gif

Im at day 65 for just a regular eForm1, I paid the $200. Hopefully my form gets approved soon. I filed 2/3
I did a Form 1 ($200 stamp) on a lower, Feb. 11th, still waiting. ATF site says 40 days e-file. Uh huh. If it shows up tomorrow morning, it'll officially be labeled my Jesus gun.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Im at day 65 for just a regular eForm1, I paid the $200. Hopefully my form gets approved soon. I filed 2/3
Have you gone back into the ATF site to see the status? I did a $200 eForm 1 to a trust on 24 Feb. It was approved on 21 Mar. Something is wrong with yours, or your background check had red flags.

Have you gone back into the ATF site to see the status? I did a $200 eForm 1 to a trust on 24 Feb. It was approved on 21 Mar. Something is wrong with yours, or your background check had red flags.
I haven't, I've called the ATF twice and she says it is still pending per FBI background check. Another member is at 69 days. I'm sure the ATF lady would have told me something if their was an issue.

I'm calling tomorrow. I had one approved in 30 days on the dot in January. I sent my prints/paperwork in via UPS overnight, wondering if that's the issue. I know it was delivered and signed for though.

If one is filing the tax free Form 1 for braced pistols then no extra engraving is needed per the ATF. Now if you do a standard $200 tax paid Form 1 then you do have to engrave your information on the lower.

"ATF logic" is already an oxymoron, but the engraving requirement for converting a Title I firearm to Title II via a Form 1 is particularly dumb.

"ATF logic" is already an oxymoron, but the engraving requirement for converting a Title I firearm to Title II via a Form 1 is particularly dumb.

Yes it is.

Here is the login behind a normal Form 1 requiring you to engrave your info. With a tax paid Form 1 you ARE the maker of a short barrel rifle hence the requirement for engraving. The original manufacture made a Title 1 firearm.

Now with the tax exempt Form 1, the ATF's logic is that you are already in possession of a SBR that was made by the manufacturer and that is the reason why one does not have to engrave their info.

And YES the whole brace thing is a total clusterF%$@.

Most AR's with at least a 10 1/2" barrel and bare pistol buffer tube are over the magical 26" in OAL depending on the buffer tube used. An AR with a 11 1/2" barrel is definitely over 26" in OAL.

The original length requirements for rifles used to be 26" OAL and 18" barrel length. Congress changed that once they realized that the govt. could not legally sell surplus M1 Carbines since the barrels on them are 17 3/4". Plus they realized that a lot of 22LR rifles had 16" barrels and enough people complained about that.

After a 40 minute wait, I was able to get a hold of a representative. It's still pending. They received everything they needed and it's going through the approval process. I'm at 60 days, filing as a trust with one member (me) as always.

I just got a couple back, exactly 1 month to the day from filing on eforms to approval notification. These were $200 paid F1s though, not the free version. Not sure if that should matter for wait times; it is a separate form on eforms so 🤷‍♂️.

I will be calling tomorrow. All forms were filled out with in one hour. All fingerprint cards were mailed in the same package, with the control numbers separated in the package. So i know they got them. It's been two weeks since the first one was approved. Going to see whats going on. The other 4 have not been approved.

Once a person receives their approved Form 1 then they can swap the brace out for a stock if they want to. The Form 1 fro braces is just a tax exempt Form 1 for making a SBR.

Where did this come from? I hadn't seen anything concrete either way.

If that's the case I have 5 lowers and braces still in boxes that will never need to be used now.

If that's the case I have 5 lowers and braces still in boxes that will never need to be used now.

That information is found in the ATF Factoring Brace Criteria FAQ's

It is Question #10

Brace FAQ 10.png

Unfortunately a direct link to the FAQ's PDF is no longer available.

I did find a newer link that works and the question is #12 on the following link.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/u...questions-and-sba-compliance-guide-2/download

12. Once the firearm is registered as a short-barreled rifle (SBR) can I remove/change the “stabilizing brace” or attach an item marketed as a stock? If so, am I required to notify ATF in advance?
• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the “brace” device or stock for a different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed you will need to notify the NFA Division. Final Note: The SBR is not “registered” until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time.

And to add one more thing.

In order to register a braced pistol as a SBR tax free, the braced pistol must have been in your possession as of 31 Jan 2023 to qualify. So any braces/braced pistols purchased after 31 Jan 2023 do NOT qualify for the tax exempt Form 1

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/u...questions-and-sba-compliance-guide-2/download

15. Is there a limit of how many firearms with a “stabilizing brace” that I can register as SBRs for free during the tax forbearance period?
• The tax forbearance only pertains to the firearms with an attached “stabilizing brace” in your possession at the time the final rule is published. There is no limit on how many you may register, but owners in possession of these types of SBRs must register by May 31, 2023.

I just got a couple back, exactly 1 month to the day from filing on eforms to approval notification. These were $200 paid F1s though, not the free version. Not sure if that should matter for wait times; it is a separate form on eforms so 🤷‍♂️.
Got a question... Did anything change with the eForm 1's (paid version)? I know with the free stamps, you can use your firearm's current markings and won't have to engrave it. Did they change that with the eForm 1's now, as well, or is that just for the free ones?

Hide your dog.

Got a question... Did anything change with the eForm 1's (paid version)? I know with the free stamps, you can use your firearm's current markings and won't have to engrave it. Did they change that with the eForm 1's now, as well, or is that just for the free ones?

Well, the last SBR I did before this was in ~2014, so it's been a while, and Eforms has gone through multiple changes, but as far as I could tell it's pretty much the same info and requirements.

Back in 2014-ish, engraving for SBRs was always a hot topic. Some people claimed you had to engrave right away, others claimed engraving was only required if/when the firearm was sold. I don't know if that's been clarified by the ATF since then, I haven't really paid attention, but I engraved my stuff anyway. Actually I stamped it, which still meets the depth requirements, and can look fairly neat and clean if you take your time and do it right.

There is a separate eForm 1 that must be used for tax exempt braced pistols being registered as SBRs

https://eforms.atf.gov/login;referrer=/home.

Notice the right side of the page

Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 5.45.15 PM.png

There has not been any changes to the standard tax paid Form 1.

I will be calling tomorrow. All forms were filled out with in one hour. All fingerprint cards were mailed in the same package, with the control numbers separated in the package. So i know they got them. It's been two weeks since the first one was approved. Going to see whats going on. The other 4 have not been approved.
I e-filed 9, all together on 3/12, mailed cover sheets and prints on 3/13, got 1 approval back on 3/29, got 1 rejected on 4/5 for my model description not exactly matching the stamping on the lower, resubmitted that on 4/6. Same examiner signature, seems that they're not done exactly as they arrive.
Read the same thing on local boards. As long as the paperwork is filed by may 31 well, (probably), be fine....

And to add one more thing.

In order to register a braced pistol as a SBR tax free, the braced pistol must have been in your possession as of 31 Jan 2023 to qualify. So any braces/braced pistols purchased after 31 Jan 2023 do NOT qualify for the tax exempt Form 1

Sounds like by there FAQ that as long as its registered by May31 you can register a "receiver". I thought about buying a stripped lower and register it for a future 7.5" 5.56 build

Sounds like by there FAQ that as long as its registered by May31 you can register a "receiver". I thought about buying a stripped lower and register it for a future 7.5" 5.56 build
My understanding is that you must provide pictures of the braces pistol, to show that it qualifies for the tax free stamp No stamp form 1.

I you had a receiver in your possession by 1/31/23, I'd imagine that as far as anyone could tell, you'd have already made it into a braced pistol by that date.....

If there was a 4473 demonstrating that said receiver had been bought by you after 1/31, then I'm not sure that would count....
My understanding is that you must provide pictures of the braces pistol, to show that it qualifies for the tax free stamp No stamp form 1.
Nope. The only mandated photo is the passport style of yourself.
You do NOT need to take a picture of the pistol. I did take and attach pics of just the serial number because I couldn't think of a reason not to, and it helped me keep the 9 forms straight....except for the one I got bounced- that one I'd picked the wrong model name from the dropdown.

They were going to require that at first, but that was back when they were also planning to use a points system with a checklist to see if your gun qualified. That's all outdated now and no longer applies.

Reactions: 12Bravo20
They were going to require that at first, but that was back when they were also planning to use a points system with a checklist to see if your gun qualified. That's all outdated now and no longer applies.

This is correct. If the ATF does ask for photos, all they want to see is the manufacturer's information and serial number. One is not required to submit a photo of the entire firearm when filing a Form 1

Install government mandated nose ring, then celebrate because the nose ring is free.

Dear God, our side is so weak……
Please explain. Are you saying anyone that files with ATF is weak? So anyone that has bought a suppressor legally or SBR'ed a pistol before this rule? Only difference now is that the tax stamp fee is waived. What am I missing?

Please explain. Are you saying anyone that files with ATF is weak? So anyone that has bought a suppressor legally or SBR'ed a pistol before this rule? Only difference now is that the tax stamp fee is waived. What am I missing?

I don't think you're the one missing anything.

IMO "weak" would be something more along the lines of removing the brace and giving up the ability to to use your AR pistol as effectively, because you're scared the ATF might discover you own guns. (Duh, they already know.) So far none of the people pointing fingers like this have proposed an acceptable alternative, because there isn't one; they're just pointing fingers to make themselves feel superior.

I filed 3 as an Efrom 1 Trust in middle of Feb (I had planned on SBRing them anyways but didn't have $600 laying around doing nothing). I have zero interest to file them as an Eform Individual. Last week they did contact me to re-submit my 5320.23 (Responsible Person's Questionnaire form with a wet signature instead of digital signature so I at least know who is working on my forms now.

Curious question. What drove you to pay for the standard Eform 1 VS attempting the free EForm 1? I was in the same predicament but went free instead.
Simply because I bought the pistol after the rule was posted in the federal register and because I wanted to.

Reactions: AznTactical
I recently received my email with the approved, signed eForm 1 (exactly 2-month approval time), based on Final Rule 2021R-08F, but it doesn't show a stamp. This is my first Form 1 - am I mistaken that it should show a green stamp, just like a Form 4?
The ATF site confirms that the application is approved.

I recently received my email with the approved, signed eForm 1 (exactly 2-month approval time), based on Final Rule 2021R-08F, but it doesn't show a stamp. This is my first Form 1 - am I mistaken that it should show a green stamp, just like a Form 4?
The ATF site confirms that the application is approved.
Your brace amnesty approval will never have a stamp attached. At this point, this is covered ad nauseum all over the internet.

There are all sorts of speculation as to why. Choose one for yourself. Aft definitely does not have the power to waive a tax set by congress; so there's that.

But, in general, I'm going with fuck the atf

As mentioned, the tax free Form 1's will not have a Tax Stamp attached since no tax was paid. You only get the stamp to prove that the $200 tax was paid.

Reactions: AMGtuned
So update. Feb 5th submitted. 5 of them total…. April 4th first one approved. May 16th second one approved. Still waiting on three

I've 6 of 9 approved so far, all submitted march 13th. First one back march 29th, then one every couple of weeks or so....

Such fvcking BS, I sent out my eForm1 for a non brace Feb 3rd, what is that like 105 days now? Buddy of mine has been waiting longer. I know the form 1s are all fuct because of the amnesty and shit.

I screwed up my eform1 2x before my 2/3 submission date and in Dec and Jan got both denials back in 2-3 weeks.

Had to get my local Congressmans involved even though it won't matter, kinda makes me feel a little better.
My Congressmans office lady said they have so many inquires into the ATF already so it would probably be awhile anyways.

• Wow
I e-filed 9, all together on 3/12, mailed cover sheets and prints on 3/13, got 1 approval back on 3/29, got 1 rejected on 4/5 for my model description not exactly matching the stamping on the lower, resubmitted that on 4/6. Same examiner signature, seems that they're not done exactly as they arrive.
Read the same thing on local boards. As long as the paperwork is filed by may 31 well, (probably), be fine....
I'm assuming you mailed them all in one envelope. Did you only send two print cards or did you have to send 18?

I'm assuming you mailed them all in one envelope. Did you only send two print cards or did you have to send 18?
It sucks, but it is one set of prints per cover sheet. You can mail the at the same time, but they are supposed to be mailed individually (not batched in one envelope.)

Reactions: Stev0

It sucks, but it is one set of prints per cover sheet. You can mail the at the same time, but they are supposed to be mailed individually (not batched in one envelope.)
Not sure that's the case- I batched 9 X coversheets with just 2 fingerprint cards- not 18. I've had 6 of 9 approved so far- 2 in one day last Friday- one bounced because I wasn't paying attention and picked the wrong model from the dropdown- That one I had to resub with another 2 cards.

I personally know 6 other people batched multiple coversheets with one set of cards and they've also had no problem with several approvals.

Reactions: Stev0