• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Form 1 eFile Headed to Month 6

mallen45

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2020
I’m starting to get a little impatient. I filed a Form 1 back in August and it’s still pending. Gave the NFA department about 2 weeks ago to ask what the deal was. Guy told me he couldn’t say I’d have to speak to the experts? I emailed the “perceived experts” and got no response. The ATF person answering the phone stated typical Form 1 for eFile is 2-3 months. Anyone have any solid contacts to try and get to the bottom of the delay? Has anyone seen similar delays?

That’s a lie. Form 1 is like 30 days normally
That’s more of what I was expecting. This 6 months seems like an oversight. Guy said all my paperwork was in order and fingerprints were on file but it’s still pending.

I filed a form1 on 11/10/20, fingerprints delivered 11/16/20, and I’m still “SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS”. I contacted them asking about it and was told my paperwork is good, just waiting on the FBI to do the background check. Funny you can go to a gun shop and do a 4473 and be done in 15 minutes or less, but the same exact check takes months when connected with an NFA item. I check my status on the efile page a couple times a week at this point but pisses me off more and more as the weeks pass. Good luck with yours. I’d say check the “Form1 wait times” thread in the armory section of the site, but don’t, it’ll just piss you off because people have submitted after you and already got their stamps.

I filed a form1 on 11/10/20, fingerprints delivered 11/16/20, and I’m still “SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS”. I contacted them asking about it and was told my paperwork is good, just waiting on the FBI to do the background check. Funny you can go to a gun shop and do a 4473 and be done in 15 minutes or less, but the same exact check takes months when connected with an NFA item. I check my status on the efile page a couple times a week at this point but pisses me off more and more as the weeks pass. Good luck with yours. I’d say check the “Form1 wait times” thread in the armory section of the site, but don’t, it’ll just piss you off because people have submitted after you and already got their stamps.
I got sucked into a thread somewhere else where everyone was talking about their 35 day form 1s. Pissed me off pretty good and then talking to the ATF guy on the phone who helped me with absolutely nothing didn’t help. Hoping for something soon man. Good luck on yours too.

About to start another one... I’m sure this won’t be quick like my last two (fast)

I thought once you were in their system as a Form 1 manufacture ( building your can ) it would be there for all future builds? I don’t see mine there. Buddy of mine has been waiting 5 weeks to get his cover letter for his... was hoping to skip that being that I have done this before.

Reactions: Aftermath
I had this happen in 2019 my form 1 was stuck in the approval process with the FBI background check. I contacted my Congressman and filed a inquiry with them about the delay. They then made a follow up inquiry with the ATF and FBI and in less than 2 weeks it was approved. I'm sure if you're Congressman is pro 2A they might take the time to inquire on you're behalf.

Last edited:
I’m starting to get a little impatient. I filed a Form 1 back in August and it’s still pending. Gave the NFA department about 2 weeks ago to ask what the deal was. Guy told me he couldn’t say I’d have to speak to the experts? I emailed the “perceived experts” and got no response. The ATF person answering the phone stated typical Form 1 for eFile is 2-3 months. Anyone have any solid contacts to try and get to the bottom of the delay? Has anyone seen similar delays?
You filed the form 1 correct? You didn’t do it through silencer shop kiosk, correct? I ask because they paper file those and you’d get the long drawn out process. If efiled, sounds like an oversight.

I had this happen in 2019 my form 1 was stuck in the approval process with the FBI background check. I contacted my Congressman and filed a inquiry with them about the delay. They then made a follow up inquiry with the ATF and FBI and in less than 2 weeks it was approved. I'm sure if you're Congressman is pro 2A they might take the time to inquire on you're behalf.

I spoke with the ATF a couple of days ago and to try and understand the hold up. The lady on the phone said it showed it was still pending a response from the FBI on the background check. She made it clear she wasn’t going to explain or discuss the process, but it was in the FBI’s hands. Kind of a BS route to take. She didn’t say anything about chiming the FBI to get moving so I’m sure I’m stuck on some agents desk. I haven’t thought much in the way of congressional intervention. May be something I look into next as I can’t call the FBI directly to inquire.

Reactions: THEOZZ
I spoke with the ATF a couple of days ago and to try and understand the hold up. The lady on the phone said it showed it was still pending a response from the FBI on the background check. She made it clear she wasn’t going to explain or discuss the process, but it was in the FBI’s hands. Kind of a BS route to take. She didn’t say anything about chiming the FBI to get moving so I’m sure I’m stuck on some agents desk. I haven’t thought much in the way of congressional intervention. May be something I look into next as I can’t call the FBI directly to inquire.
FBI background delay is at the end of August, early September, last I checked around. My last 2, were 150 days. Got trapped in FBI purgatory also.

The cover letter is sent via email immediately. If be checked his mail on his phone, for some reason the attachment doesn't show up. I called them after sending mine in and sure enough, got on a PC and there it was
Not when building a suppressor. You only get a draft. It goes into pending research. Once that is complete then you get the cover letters. For an SBR, since most lower manufactures are in the system, there is no pending research and you get the cover letters.

Reactions: Ericsl2
Not when building a suppressor. You only get a draft. It goes into pending research. Once that is complete then you get the cover letters. For an SBR, since most lower manufactures are in the system, there is no pending research and you get the cover letters.
Correct. Lots of folks told me that when I was bitching about my form 1 and not getting my cover letter email. It finally came on Dec 15th, and I created the file in September.

I did not know that thanks . I know when my cover letter didn't show up for the sbr i was filing, the atf lady told me to check the email on a computer and sure enough it was there. I needed the letter to mail in the fingerprint card.weird they wouldn't do the same for a self built can buy i goes nothing the atf does makes a lot of sense
The atf is the most random nonsensical bunch on the planet.

The atf is the most random nonsensical bunch on the planet.
That’s putting it lightly.

3E090405-D3FC-4F6B-B1EE-D79280B2EC95.png

That is not true. My last form 1 cams went into purgatory. 150 days total. However, I had the cover letter and drafted application in my email, before I had the receipt for my payment. If you choose silly model names/numbers, and they aren't pre-approved in the system, you'll get pending research status. There are a number of things that will trigger it. SBR, and suppressor, are the same form, same process. Ill keep you posted, one of my next batches has suppressors and SBR, all mixed up.

That is not true. My last form 1 cams went into purgatory. 150 days total. However, I had the cover letter and drafted application in my email, before I had the receipt for my payment. If you choose silly model names/numbers, and they aren't pre-approved in the system, you'll get pending research status. There are a number of things that will trigger it. SBR, and suppressor, are the same form, same process. Ill keep you posted, one of my next batches has suppressors and SBR, all mixed up.
Did you do it as a trust or individual and when was this?

You will just have to put up with the noise off of my rifle. I am too old to play these fuck fuck games to give them my money to protect my hearing and others. Mufflers are required on cars.
I don't need the .gov nor anyone else to save me from myself.

Reactions: diggler1833
I think that's why then. When you do it as a trust, they send the cover letter much later, then you send in the cards and cover sheet
I did not know this. However, it was not my understanding either: as during my wait, there were many, both individuals and trust, applied and approved well within 30 day window.

Either way, thanks for the knowledge 👍

I did not know this. However, it was not my understanding either: as during my wait, there were many, both individuals and trust, applied and approved well within 30 day window.

Either way, thanks for the knowledge 👍
Well, I should have said "my experience was" because it does appear that others have gotten approvals done much quicker and gotten their cover letters basically at the time of submission or shortly after. Who knows, it's the atf

Reactions: AMGtuned
Talked to the ATF again on Friday, same story different day still in FBI’s hands.

Did mine as a trust. Filed May 19th. Approved Jan 14th.

Does that mean you got your stamp or that it got approved, and you haven't gotten a stamp yet?
Probably should have clarified. It’s an E-File for the stamp is emailed with the approval. It was approved this morning around 8AM.

Probably should have clarified. It’s an E-File for the stamp is emailed with the approval. It was approved this morning around 8AM.
Oh really? I did an e-file for a form 1 but I thought they would mail me a stamp. I didn't realize they'd email the stamp. That's cool. Hopefully mine will get approved soon. The only reason I did a form 1 is because I didn't want to wait on my 2 form 4's, but at this rate, I will be getting them all at the same time most likely. Damn atf

Oh really? I did an e-file for a form 1 but I thought they would mail me a stamp. I didn't realize they'd email the stamp. That's cool. Hopefully mine will get approved soon. The only reason I did a form 1 is because I didn't want to wait on my 2 form 4's, but at this rate, I will be getting them all at the same time most likely. Damn atf
The number associated with your approvals, is "valid" for 6 months after approval. Keep in mind, i know this from collective research, not because it came from the horses mouth. What this means is; if you were to submit again, after these youre waiting on, you would not get sucked back into Purgatory. The application would proceed as normal through the ATF.

If you WERE to go to Purgatory again, within the 6 months; you can remind the examiner via "ask the experts" of your prior control number, and they will proceed with the application

The number associated with your approvals, is "valid" for 6 months after approval. Keep in mind, i know this from collective research, not because it came from the horses mouth. What this means is; if you were to submit again, after these youre waiting on, you would not get sucked back into Purgatory. The application would proceed as normal through the ATF.

If you WERE to go to Purgatory again, within the 6 months; you can remind the examiner via "ask the experts" of your prior control number, and they will proceed with the application
So what you’re saying is this approval would be subject to be applied to applications for the next 6 months? What if I had previous form 4s in the system could this approval be applied to those as well?

So what you’re saying is this approval would be subject to be applied to applications for the next 6 months? What if I had previous form 4s in the system could this approval be applied to those as well?
Yes, for F1 applications, I have read of this working more than once. However, the occurances where it crosses over, and F4 gets pushed through, are very rare. What I've seen is that it is usually something that gets screwed up on the gov end, and when you get it rectified, all your shit seems to magically trickle through.

You may be able to email your examiner after the F1 approval, and they MAY be able to search the system and retrieve your F4 to push it through. Whether or not they actually do it, is another story

Yes, for F1 applications, I have read of this working more than once. However, the occurances where it crosses over, and F4 gets pushed through, are very rare. What I've seen is that it is usually something that gets screwed up on the gov end, and when you get it rectified, all your shit seems to magically trickle through.

You may be able to email your examiner after the F1 approval, and they MAY be able to search the system and retrieve your F4 to push it through. Whether or not they actually do it, is another story
When I read your response the first time something told me the two types of forms would throw a wrench what should be a no brainer. I was hoping I was wrong, I’ve got 3 cans sitting right now, one filed last June, one in October, and the last in December. Would have been nice to be knocking on the door for all three.

When I read your response the first time something told me the two types of forms would throw a wrench what should be a no brainer. I was hoping I was wrong, I’ve got 3 cans sitting right now, one filed last June, one in October, and the last in December. Would have been nice to be knocking on the door for all three.
If any are a F1, and they come through first, it doesn't hurt to ask. Apparently, the FBI extended BGC is a "thorough" examination. So there should be no better reason than to approve any others pending

So, if the form 4's I did through the manufacturer /ffl (same guy in this case) has already been approved, they would apply that control number to my form 1 also which I did on efile? Or vice versa?

So, if the form 4's I did through the manufacturer /ffl (same guy in this case) has already been approved, they would apply that control number to my form 1 also which I did on efile? Or vice versa?
I think it only works with the F1 being first; because it was auto triggered into an FBI extended check. This is all speculation. I think the F4 one would file at a dealer, goes through the same channels as an F1, just a different wing, and backlog. You'd never know of your F4 triggered the BGC, because the wait is so damn long anyway. Efile F1 has a pretty solid wait time, for standard applications. So you've got something to gauge by

I think it only works with the F1 being first; because it was auto triggered into an FBI extended check. This is all speculation. I think the F4 one would file at a dealer, goes through the same channels as an F1, just a different wing, and backlog. You'd never know of your F4 triggered the BGC, because the wait is so damn long anyway. Efile F1 has a pretty solid wait time, for standard applications. So you've got something to gauge by
Why is the form 1 auto triggered into the extended check?

Why is the form 1 auto triggered into the extended check?
Its supposed to be a random check. 10/100 was the general consensus. Im sure it happens with F4 also, but like I said, the wait times make it so you wouldn't know anyway

Its supposed to be a random check. 10/100 was the general consensus. Im sure it happens with F4 also, but like I said, the wait times make it so you wouldn't know anyway
Oh I see what you were saying now. Yes, the wait times make it so there's no way to know anyway... With the looks of how they are proceeding, based on the guys here and their dates, it looks like mine will be coming along any time now. Thanks for the input, I think there's probably something to what you are saying here.

Reactions: AMGtuned
The quickest F1 I have had come back was 20 days. I have seen others submit Monday and get it Friday. This was with electronic submissions. My longest F1 was 334 days but that was back when the electronic submissions had first gone live. 41p slowed things down for a while but I think the longer and longer wait times are a good indicator that more gun owners are getting into the NFA which means more people on our side when the time comes.

FWIW, I've been waiting since mid October.

They sure processed that $200 right away though.

About to start another one... I’m sure this won’t be quick like my last two (fast)

I thought once you were in their system as a Form 1 manufacture ( building your can ) it would be there for all future builds? I don’t see mine there. Buddy of mine has been waiting 5 weeks to get his cover letter for his... was hoping to skip that being that I have done this before.
This^^^^
Once you have gone through the bullshit for the first NFA item, there should be a vending machine you go to for what ever else you can afford.

Reactions: clcustom1911
This^^^^
Once you have gone through the bullshit for the first NFA item, there should be a vending machine you go to for what ever else you can afford.
I called the NFA branch yesterday. 4-5 months wait for pending research.

This^^^^

Fuck, at this point, I'd be OK with some sort of an ID card that's good for 3 years and allows me to walk into a SOT and walk out with an NFA item that day. It'd certainly be less of an infringement than waiting the better part of a year for permission to attach a muffler to my firearm.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Fuck, at this point, I'd be OK with some sort of an ID card that's good for 3 years and allows me to walk into a SOT and walk out with an NFA item that day. It'd certainly be less of an infringement than waiting the better part of a year for permission to attach a muffler to my firearm.
That is available. The wait is like 18 months +, right now. Its a little (probably no different at all) more thorough check, and you get your very own number.

That is available. The wait is like 18 months +, right now. Its a little (probably no different at all) more thorough check, and you get your very own number.
What’s that called? hell if it made sense I’d get in line for it.

12/16 filed, 1/16 approved. You sure they got your mail in?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: darkfader
12/16 filed, 1/16 approved. You sure they got your mail in?
Must be nice. I'll be at 90 days on Wednesday. I've exchanged emails with ATF personnel and was assured my paperwork is in good standing, and just waiting for the FBI. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to how these checks are being completed.