• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 1 experiments

Stealth-X

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2008
Corvallis, OREGON
I like the idea of doing a form 1 and building my own suppressor. My questions is about design experimentation. I am assuming that the specifics of the silencer (besides length and perhaps diameter?) are not included on the form and the unchangeable part would be the silencer body that has the S/N. So could I make 8 baffles 1" apart and then shoot it. Then later replace half the baffles w/ spacers and see how well 4 baffles do w/ 2" between them? Could I try K baffles and then standard ones? I'm assuming I would have to destroy the parts I decide on not using and probably only have one set of internals at a time, but are there other issues I haven't thought of? Do I only have one chance to get my design right?

Thanks,
Nate

Re: Form 1 experiments

Your in a danger zone swapping stuff, go to Silencertalk.com and read a lot before you do anything.

You get to build one silencer with no extra componants, you are not even allowed to repair the internal baffles if they get damaged. You need to be a licensed FFL who does gunsmithing work to do that.

If you want to dabble in silencer R+D that is what a FFL manuf. license is for.

You only get to make one silencer for each ATF form 1. Replacing any parts requires that a new ATF form 1 be submitted and a another $200 tax be paid, unless it is sent to a class 2 for repair or parts (excluding the tube) replacement.

I have not seen anything in writing that says I can not repair my form 1 can without paying another $200 tax. I have only read about (regs and ATF letters) the prohibition against parts replacement. There should be no reason why I can not unscrew an end cap damaged by a yawing bullet and hammer out the dent. Reshaping a baffle then centering the hole in a lathe is not the same as replacing a part.

I have read about the ATF prohibiting any repairs that result in a longer tube or changing the bore.

Ranb