• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 4 Question

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
This will be my first can and I would like to get the ball rolling. My drivers license, and vehicles are all licenced in state A. I use my Father's address (also in state A) as my permanent address, but I am living in an apartment in state B while attending school. If I started my paperwork and used my permanent address would that get red flagged during the paperwork process? I plan on returning to state A after I graduate, and the can would remain at my fathers house in the safe while I am at school.

Re: Form 4 Question

set up a trust, with you and your father?

i am doing one for myself, wife, and 2.5 year old son next tuesday.

that way, when i am not home, my wife will not be in violation from what i understand.

same thing for your father?

anyone else with more legal expertise?

^^^I would think the same, but I'm no legal expert either. From what I remember, the trust(at least in Texas) has no physical address besides city(for Form 1 SBR engraving anyway). If your father is on the trust, all NFA can reside at his house. Just make sure he has a copy of the trust, copy of the Form 4 or Form 1 for each item, the stamps(when they arrive), the trust's list of assets, copies of USPS MO for the ATF stamp(until the stamps arrive, then keep in the cars), receipts, etc. It's a little overkill, but my lawyer strongly advised this.

It wouldn't hurt for him to keep a copy of the executed trust(last 4 or 5 pages of the trust, this is all the trust that needed for field checks), Form 4, & inventory list in each of his and your vehicles, just in case.....

FWIW, not all agents are as up to date as they should be. You don't NEED to pack around all this CYA, but I would just in case. And be sure to keep the ORIGINAL trust in a bank's safety deposit box.

Also, your father's house is your permanant residence right? College apartment in State B would be a temporary address, at least that would be my assumption.