• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 5320.20 Wait Time

chalwie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
ATL
ATF Form 5320.20 "Application to Transport Interstate NFA Firearms".

8.5" SBR 6.8SPC
Date sent: 7/28/11
Date signed: 8/11/11
Mail stamped: 8/15/11
Date received: 8/17/11
State of origin: GA
ATF Official: S. Santamaria

I love you S. Santamaria!

Re: Form 5320.20 Wait Time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did it for 365 days as the length of time correct?</div></div>
Yes, I applied for 1 year. Don't want to re-apply until absolutely necessary.
Now I get to test the new piece without all the rules and hinderances of local ranges.

I'm new to the NFA toys. Waiting on my first one now.
Please explain what an:
ATF Form 5320.20 "Application to Transport Interstate NFA Firearms"

Is and what it's for

Thanks

5320.20 is an ATF form that, when approved, gives 'permission' to cross state lines with machineguns and other NFA toys as required by the ATF. It's not necessary for suppressors.

I always fax mine and get it back in the mail in 10 days or so.

would the 5320.20 form allow you to go through or to a state that doesnt allow purchase of fullauto,sbr,etc ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the 5320.20 form allow you to go through or to a state that doesnt allow purchase of fullauto,sbr,etc ?</div></div>
Laws are not uniform between states and change often, so double check all advice first. With that disclaimer, Federal Owner's Protection Act protects your rights to travel interstate with firearms including NFA items. However, your destination and usage of said firearms must be allowed by that state. The Form 5320.20 just allows you to travel from Point A to Point B specified in the application. While interstate, it is advised to lock the unloaded firearms in a trunk or locked case for SUV and trucks. If you're stopped, and you have Tax stamp, Form 5320.20, and a print-out of the ATF rule for AOW/suppressor exceptions <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> it's properly unloaded and locked - I think any good lawyer can defend you in a jam if a bad cop gets you in heat. That would be an unlikely scenario, but lets face it - we all have met ignorant LEO with attitudes.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the 5320.20 form allow you to go through or to a state that doesnt allow purchase of fullauto,sbr,etc ?</div></div>

You put where your final destination is, where it better be legal to own/use the NFA item.

Peaceable journey laws allow traveling through other states, but don't be using it in those states.

So where does a normal semi auto pistol come into play? Such as the guy who was jailed for haveing a pistol I think in Jersey when he missed a flight and had to drive home?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5320.20 is an ATF form that, when approved, gives 'permission' to cross state lines with machineguns and other NFA toys as required by the ATF. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">It's not necessary for suppressors.</span></span>

I always fax mine and get it back in the mail in 10 days or so. </div></div>

are you positively sure of that? this isn't accusing you of being wrong, its just that i've heard this before and i'm wondering if you just heard it from someone else, or have you actually called/looked it up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5320.20 is an ATF form that, when approved, gives 'permission' to cross state lines with machineguns and other NFA toys as required by the ATF. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">It's not necessary for suppressors.</span></span>

I always fax mine and get it back in the mail in 10 days or so. </div></div>

are you positively sure of that? this isn't accusing you of being wrong, its just that i've heard this before and i'm wondering if you just heard it from someone else, or have you actually called/looked it up? </div></div>

The instructions for the 5320.20 specify what it is required for and reference the CFR's.
Suppressors are not on the list of NFA items that require a 5320.20.

see the form here 5320.20