• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form to Manufacture a SBR

svt_tactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2010
North Carolina
Ok so I have a limited amount of knowledge on SBRs. I do have a can registered on a Form 4 so i do have knowledge of the ATFs process on similar devices. I want to built a SBR rifle. I called the local ATF office and they said I could fill out a form 1 (i think that was the form) and that I could build it after that came back as approved. Once i built it as long as I maintained the upper configuration I registered it as, I could also use any other SBR upper on it. I've found a place that will actually sell lowers registered already as SBR receivers and I can purchase them on form 4's but the cost is much more and I'd like to put my own together anyway. Can someone give me the details on building your own SBR and what form I need to send in. Do I need to do any special engraving ot the lower, I've heard I did.??

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit, I just realized this was probably not the correct part of the forum so mod feel free to move it as needed.

Re: Form to Manufacture a SBR

If you want to build you own, you use the Form 1, if you want to buy an existing one, you'd use a Form4 from a dealer.

The Form1 is nice if you want something different, but you will have to get it engraved with your info on there.

If you just want a SBR, buy a complete one from a dealer via a Form4. Its easier

Buy a Lower - send it off to get it engraved (Orion Arms does a good job) and do the paperwork for the Form 1 at the same time. The process is the same as a Suppressor but just different paperwork. The way I think of is ATF has the original configuration for the lower and what its intended purpose is. You are changing its intended purposes to make it a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). Once you change it you have to do the Form 1 to alert ATF to the change in its purpose. The engraving now makes you the manufacturer of the rifle thus having to put your name, town and state on the lower. I just did a Form 1 recently and it took just about four months for the stamp to come back from ATF. Plenty of time to get it back from the engraver and finish the build and wait for the stamp.

I prefer to do a form one myself on a lower I already own, then when the stamp comes back I can put the short barrel on it and be ready to go; no midle man. If you do a form one, buy a stripped lower and you can put a pistol receiver extension on it so you can run your short barreled upper on it as a pistol until the stamp comes back.

...and yes, you will have to engrave it with your name and city/ state, most jewlers and or trophy shops should be able to do this for you.

Be advised that some states, LA for one, require some state paperwork to become a "manufacturer" of a firearm, i.e. to make an SBR from an AR lower, so check that also.

Thanks guys I have a billet lower i've been waiting to do something with so I will go ahead and start the process.

I found a jeweler who will engrave on my lower, what exactly do I need to put on there? Just name and city, state?

I had my first SBR done by a jeweler & it didn’t turn out very good. They couldn’t refill the anodizing. My 2nd SBR, I had sent of to: http://www.identmarking.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

They did a great job! Quick turn around a fair price.

All you will need engraved is :
Your Name (or trust name)
City, State

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVT_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found a jeweler who will engrave on my lower, what exactly do I need to put on there? Just name and city, state?</div></div>