• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forming 260 brass from 7mm-08

rksimple

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
I don't have the rifle chambered yet but was preppeing some brass last night. As normal, using the Redding bushing FL sizer I get a small section of the neck unsized. Normally not a problem with correct brass, but when forming, will this cause a problem in chambering? Or will the camming force of the bolt be sufficient to squeeze things in place for the first firing? Or do I need a standard FL die for forming? Thanks!

Re: Forming 260 brass from 7mm-08

First time forming i use my full length RCBS die to size whole neck, then use my Redding-Bushing .289 after that, I'm about to get a custom honed Forster Die that is set to my preferred neck OD (thinking about .290").
You can crush that false shoulder/ bulge in the neck by forcing your bolt down, i've done it, not sure how good/bad it is to do that, seems like bolt lift can be a bit sticky sometimes.

Quit wasting time Ryan and just buy some Remington brass.....its good to go.

I received my 260 Remington Match chambered custom from Michael Crain at Boatright Custom Guns in mid May. I stockpiled some Remington brand 260 brass and loaded 30 rounds of once fired brass. My personal observations are that the Remington brass is softer and primer pockets open up quicker. This has been discussed by others have stated in previous threads. I did observe some (8-10) of the primers back out of the pocket a bit when fired on the Remingotn brass.

That is what prompted me to try the 7-08 transformation with Winchester once fired brass. Fired 20 of them weekend before last. I did not have any primers in the 7-08 brass to back out.
With the 7-08 brass, I full length resized the 7-08 brass in a 260 Redding die and then neck sized (non bushing die) to .288 outside diameter.

For the comparison of the 260 Remington brass vs Winchester converted 7-08 brass, I used identical loads of H4350, 140 gr. Berger bullets and Fed210GMM primer to get a fair comparison. SO, I plan to use the Remington for metal plinking and use the converted Winchester 7-08 brass for competition until something causes me to change.

I use Win .243 brass to make the .260. Works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grandslam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Quit wasting time Ryan and just buy some Remington brass.....its good to go. </div></div>

I want better brass life than Remington can offer. Terry C. mentioned something about this and when he speaks I listen. I'm not a high roller like you. You state employees...sheesh!
smile.gif