Forming 260 from 243 or 7mm-08, which is best?

spradley

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2012
Leeds, Alabama
Which do you guys think makes the best 260 brass besides real 260 brass?

I've made it from 7mm-08 and haven't noticed any issues.

Today I caught two bags of 243 at Bass Pro and grabbed them up as I remember some make 260 from that.

thanks,
Gary

Fuzzball

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
"I've made it from 7mm-08 and haven't noticed any issues."

Both ways will work but that was best.

Case necks are usually a sloppy chamber fit, expanding up thins and makes it worse. Plus, with necking up, its possible to get the 'dredded donut' at the base of the new necks.

Fuzzball

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
"Funny, I made 7mm08 from Lapua 260 brass. No donuts and it works great."

What's 'funny' about it? Note I only said it's possible, .... is it possible you leaped before you looked?

Trapshooter12

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Nevada
I have necked both. The 243 I split a couple necks even after annealing. I also had a split neck on a 7-08 also couldn't figure that one out.

One thing to look for is the price on the cases I use Win brass and the 243 is cheaper than the 08 by a couple bucks in some places.

buffybuster

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2007
Ventura Cty, CA
Having done it both ways; my preference is to Neck Down rather than up (no expander ball to drag through the neck). But satisfactory results can be had either way.

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    "Funny, I made 7mm08 from Lapua 260 brass. No donuts and it works great."

What's 'funny' about it? Note I only said it's possible, .... is it possible you leaped before you looked?

Pretty touchy there FUZZ. I was not posting as a slap to your post. Folks round here are getting too thin skinned.

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Having done it both ways; my preference is to Neck Down rather than up (no expander ball to drag through the neck). But satisfactory results can be had either way.

Made a lot of 6PPC from 220 Russian. No other good way to get to 6PPC so you have to neck up. I use an expander die to do it.
    When I necked up from 260 to 7mm08 I used two steps. In all honesty it really was not worth the trouble and I won't do it again. WW brass can do the job just fine.

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
    Minuteman
    Dec 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Funny, I made 7mm08 from Lapua 260 brass. No donuts and it works great.

How many times have you fired that brass?

I can get 2 firings max on lapua 6.5-284 brass in my 284 before the donut arrives.

Is it possible you're getting donuts and not noticing it?

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    I have PPC brass that has been fired as many as twenty times without it showing up. The Brass mentioned in this post also has more than two firings. I would definitely notice donuts because those long 168 SMK seat down below where donuts form.

kyshootnman

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Greensburg, KY
    Having tried both in my 260, I have noticed the gun liking 243 brass better. I using Redding dies and use a taper sizing button when necking them up. It runs smooth in the brass with little to no force. I have no donuts either.

Fuzzball

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 19, 2009
    "Folks round here are getting too thin skinned. "

You misunderstand; I'm not thin skinned at all. I thought your "funny" wisdom was kinda funny/silly and pointless because you added nothing useful to help with the OPs question but it sure didn't bother me for you to do that! :)