• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Formulas?

StealthWarrior

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2009
Alright guys, does anyone know of a formula for: figuring out the fps of a projectile at different ranges with a given fps, and a formula for figuring out bullet drop with or without a given drop? Thank you.

Collin

Re: Formulas?

Alright, but does anyone know how to do it on paper? It's a rather good thing to know, I believe. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, but does anyone know how to do it on paper? It's a rather good thing to know, I believe. Thanks.

</div></div>

A program is good for many things, but it does not trump, known shot data in your field book. Shoot an record, everything.

Arthur Pejsa has a couple books out, the latest one being titled along the lines of "Modern Practical Ballistics" or something like that.

It's not too hard to understand if you have a reasonable ability with math.

Alright, thank you for all the information. Gee I need a job to buy all this stuff!!

The formulas are all estimated values of elevation and windage and need to be checked out at the range at the ranges you are going to shoot at. My range card is done with verified come ups, I use the calculators like most people to get close and tweak the come ups at range and record the actual on my range card.

Don't get me wrong I am not afraid of the math as I have done a fair amount of it and have McCoy, Pesja and others on my shelf. I have spent a fair amount of time working on ballistic calculators and still use them to get close and use actual on my range card.

Building the range card in this fashion is a lot of fun, giving you an excuse to make loud noises, if needed. It also gives you a lot of confidence in your range card and awareness of your abilities.

Edit added: Here is a pretty good starting point for ballistics calculations http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/

My $0.02,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, but does anyone know how to do it on paper? It's a rather good thing to know, I believe. Thanks.

</div></div>

I don't believe that would be a one-page field expedient calculation.......