• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster bench priming tool- Any Count?

RECKON SO

Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Ive been looking at getting the Forster bench priming tool to add to my collection of reloading crap, cause Im gonna gear up to load for .223/45acp/38special. Ive already got a Siclair priming tool for loading for the bolt rifle but I aint gonna be near as picky about the new calibers that Im gonna load for. From the looks of it I can get the Forster for roughly the same price as say an RCBS or Lee hand primer once I buy all the shell holders. I use a Forster co-ax press so I wont be using the shell holders for any thing else but priming. I tried searching this but didnt find much. Anybody got pros/cons on the Forster bench priming tool?

This one:
http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=627326

Re: Forster bench priming tool- Any Count?

It's the old Bonanza Co-ax primer seater. I've had one since about 1978. It was my first dedicated priming tool, after I moved away from seating primers with my RCBS Jr. Press. It works after a fashion, but my Lee & RCBS hand priming tools has relegated it to mostly sitting in the spare parts bin.

DSCF1573.jpg

I drag it out occasionally to prime odd rounds, like the 9.3x74 Rimmed and the like, as it's very versatile. I threw the priming tube away about 20 years ago, as it never worked quite right, and feed it single primers via a tweezer. So it's very slowwwwwww.

Bob

Just use the top of your Co-Ax to seat Primers, it works pretty good, easy to set up, spend the money on bullets

I have one and use it all the time-it has the adjustable jaws for shell holders and the primer feed works fine with 338LM.

You still have to load the feed tube one by one. My guess it would suck with little cases.

I have not tried the forster bench priming unit. I have a co-ax, and use an RCBS Universal Hand Primer. It works great, with a large detachable tray, and no shell holders to swap or adjust.

Andy

Haven't used the Forster primer tool but from the looks of it, I'd much prefer my RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted priming tool. It has perfect "feel" and the right leverage to seat primers. If mine ever wears or breaks I'll order two more to replace it with. I've gotten spoiled and that's the only way I'd prime cases. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=457599
It can be bought with primer tubes or APS priming strips. I'd go with the primer tubes. Absolutely the best priming system I've used.

RCBSprimertraywithslotmilled050d-1.jpg
RCBSprimertraymodifiedforloadiin-1.jpg

31ZHeD7-iEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Because the shelf built into the base of the Forster priming tool is inadequate for standard 100 primer tray packages, I have come up with the following system.

To load the Forster priming tool tubes, I use a 4" square RCBS primer tray-2 lid, with a slot milled out. The tube is clamped to the tray with a clothes pin type clamp.

100 primer packages are 3 inches square.
The 4" lid is placed over the package of primers and then the two are inverted.
The package is removed.
The tube is clamped on.
The upside down primers are slid into the tube.

emailed this to Forster today:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a post I made at SnipersHide on how to improve the Forster primer tool loading.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...410#Post1879410

You may remember my improvement to the Forster seating stem manufacturing.
Over the last 10 years, you have still not incorporated it, and bullets can still get stuck on the burr from rough de-burring.

You may remember my improvements to the co-ax press jaw shell holder housing design. I have only sent it to you this year.
It makes the housing not bend with stuck cases.
It makes the springs not fly across the room when changing jaws.
It allows quick change of jaws while blindfolded.
It allows the jaws to open further without bending the housing.

Clark xxxxxxxxxxx [Clarence E Purdie reincarnated]
xxxxxxx WA</div></div>

I am anxiously awaiting my next form letter.

I appreciate the feedback, I was thinking about the Forster cause it looks like it could be pretty quick to use and I wouldnt need to buy shell holders for variuos calibers. Thats a good idea about how to flip the primers, I figured that this tool would get better overall feedback than it has.

MUCH OBLIGED