• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Bench Rest Seating Die (.308)

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
Anyone else here use the Forster Bench Rest Seating Die?

I just received the one I ordered with the goal of lowering the total indicated runout of my finished cartridges.

Wow!

What a difference. I'd been previously using a Redding Micrometer die but in order to get consistent TIR in the <.002" range it was necessary to rotate the case while using short seating strokes until fully seated.

Using the same cases and prep steps as before, my first finished rounds were <.001" TIR and no special handling required. OAL's were almost exact and absolutely no marking of the bullet. The seating plug has a design that fits my Nosler and Horn A-mas bullets almost perfectly.

Anyone else having similar results when using this die?

I opted for the non micrometer version because once setup I won't be changing OAL's and will use the same bullets. I buy them in boxes of 1,000 and found bullet/bullet variations to be well within my needs.

Re: Forster Bench Rest Seating Die (.308)

I've been in the process of selling my die sets of other brands and replacing them with Forster as I discovered I liked them better. I've never measured TIR, as I haven't felt a need to, but my Redding dies did leave marks on my Amax and VLD bullets, which the Forsters don't. I'm using a Forster press also and wouldn't trade for anything. Glad you're happy.

Also, I have the micrometer version which I do like better than Redding because unlike Redding the Forster micrometer can be reset for zero.

i bought the redding 3 piece bench rest set for my 308. i also bought the forster micrometer seater. i used the redding for one set of reloads, the forster ever since.

i just bought a 260, so i bought the redding body only die, the redding bushing micrometer die and the forster micrometer seater.

if nothing else the big micrometer knob on the forster makes it very easy to seat the bullet exactly how you want.

Dig my Forster BR w/mic in .308. I don't have the tools to measure runout so it's nice to hear your results. I'm mainly loading A-Max too.

Tried both,performing all at my best,and I simply can't understand why I obtain better results about runout with the Forster,even without excessive care, than with a Wilson in-line seater and all related bell & whistles_(maybe am I)_'nuff said

Happy Forster user here. Purchased my first BR full length set in .308 close to 20 years ago and haven't looked back. I do use Redding for cartridges not made by Forster.

After a few days of use I'm a little disappointed that I didn't just get the micrometer die. I just figured that I would rarely be changing bullets so I wouldn't have to make many fine adjustments once set.

OK, that logic still works but what went wrong is the non-mic model has a couple inches of threaded rod extending from the top of the die. After a couple of days I now have some nice scratches and gouges on my arm. When I reach across the die for any reason, I load standing up so I seem to do this a lot, the small threaded rod just seems to jump up and nail the skin on my arm
cry.gif

I've wrapped a piece of "wind tape" around it for now and I seem to be able to "evade" it better
cool.gif

Next time I'll just get the micrometer version if for no other reason than the sleeve will provide my arm with some protection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a few days of use I'm a little disappointed that I didn't just get the micrometer die. I just figured that I would rarely be changing bullets so I wouldn't have to make many fine adjustments once set.

OK, that logic still works but what went wrong is the non-mic model has a couple inches of threaded rod extending from the top of the die. After a couple of days I now have some nice scratches and gouges on my arm. When I reach across the die for any reason, I load standing up so I seem to do this a lot, the small threaded rod just seems to jump up and nail the skin on my arm
cry.gif

I've wrapped a piece of "wind tape" around it for now and I seem to be able to "evade" it better
cool.gif

Next time I'll just get the micrometer version if for no other reason than the sleeve will provide my arm with some protection. </div></div> problem better solved ordering from Forster the separately available micrometer upgrade option for your die_

^ yes that's what I was gonna say! Just get that, your covered.

I've had similar results love my forster dies!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else here use the Forster Bench Rest Seating Die?

I just received the one I ordered with the goal of lowering the total indicated runout of my finished cartridges.

Wow!

What a difference. I'd been previously using a Redding Micrometer die but in order to get consistent TIR in the <.002" range it was necessary to rotate the case while using short seating strokes until fully seated.

Using the same cases and prep steps as before, my first finished rounds were <.001" TIR and no special handling required. OAL's were almost exact and absolutely no marking of the bullet. The seating plug has a design that fits my Nosler and Horn A-mas bullets almost perfectly.

Anyone else having similar results when using this die?

I opted for the non micrometer version because once setup I won't be changing OAL's and will use the same bullets. I buy them in boxes of 1,000 and found bullet/bullet variations to be well within my needs.

</div></div>Yup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy Forster user here. Purchased my first BR full length set in .308 close to 20 years ago and haven't looked back. I do use Redding for cartridges not made by Forster. </div></div>

Me too.
I have 2 sets of Reddings for AI calibers, and all the rest are Forsters.
Some are BR dies, but the ones I've bought lately are the micrometer type.