• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster Co-Ax.....Finally!

srzbiznz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys I finally pulled the trigger on a Forster Co-Ax and received it in the mail yesterday.... shipped on the 9th and received on the 11th from Sinclair's all the way to Hawaii! props to USPS!!!

Anyways I love the press but have a question..... does anyone know if it comes with lock rings? Mine came with a pack of 2, but I did order a lock ring from Sinclair's and paid $4+ for it and thought it was for just a single lock ring. I am not sure if this is the lock ring I paid for or if it is included with the press and they are shipping the other one that I paid for separately. Reason I ask is because the box that I received looked like it was sealed from Forster's factory and the tape wasn't cut into or anything for them to fit the pack of lock rings that was inside the box. Also there was a label box "1 of 2" on the outside. BUT I also made another separate order the same time with some other dies and stuff, so not sure if that's the other package "2 of 2".

LOL sorry for the confusion but yeah does it come with lock rings?

Re: Forster Co-Ax.....Finally!

They usually come with with a couple. Sounds like they still owe you one.

Congrats on the new press.

Thanks guys! Yeah I love the press! I guess I'll wait for my other lock rings....and yeah there was no packing slip.

It comes with two, just opened mine up also and took a peek in the box. I cannot wait to get mine set up either!!!

Mine came with two also, and I've prurchased a couple in addition to that. 5 or 6 just about suit my needs.

Dumb question. - Can you use Hornady lock rings for the Co-Ax?

I like the hornady style ring with the circumference clamping as opposed to the set screw into the threads type. The hornadys also have wrench flats if you're using them on a regular thread in press type.

Only reason I ask is I might add a Co-Ax someday.

My box came with two. I also received a few more. The lock rings are gtg, but the tightening screws leave some lacking. Go to a hardware store and get some allen head 6/32 X 1/2 inch. Makes it easier to use.

Thanks guys, my other lock ring came in the mail today...... was hoping that for $4+ I would get a couple, but there was just 1 lock ring in the bag:( Oh well I have 4 total and should be enough for now.

@Short Round... I have some of the Hornady rings and they work but aren't as tight fitting as the Forster's. Also the Forster rings are like the Hornady, only thing is it uses a phillips screw instead of the hex. I know the RCBS rings are the type where it screws into the Die threads and i don't like those.

"...finally pulled the trigger on a Forster Co-Ax and received it in the mail yesterday ... I love the press"

I'm glad you got it and love it. But, when you get enough lock rings to use it, make a few loads and check the average concentricity; let us know if your new press works actually makes straighter/better ammo than your old press and what the average improvement in run-out is. ??

I love mine. Get some micrometer dies for perfect COAL and you will be capable of making some seriously consistent ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"...finally pulled the trigger on a Forster Co-Ax and received it in the mail yesterday ... I love the press"

I'm glad you got it and love it. But, when you get enough lock rings to use it, make a few loads and check the average concentricity; let us know if your new press works actually makes straighter/better ammo than your old press and what the average improvement in run-out is. ?? </div></div>

Mine made a difference when I got it. It improved it about .005 over a rockchucker. The RCBS was running about .007-.008. Aside from that, the thing i like most is the ability to gain WAY more mechanical advantage for resizing cases I pick up at the range.

Josh

"Mine made a difference when I got it. It improved it about .005 over a rockchucker. The RCBS was running about .007-.008."

And the only difference was your press? I mean, you used the same dies and cases, and the cases were also prepped the same way, to make the comparision you cite?

I've never noted any OAL improvements at all from using 'micrometer' dies, as such. The mic heads are only a way to visually adjust the seating stems on my Redding and Forster seaters.

The benefit of the seating die is not the micrometer. It's the component capture (bullet and brass) and alignment of the components during the seating step that provides the noticeable benefit in reduced runout. Like you said, the micrometer is just to make seating depth adjustments easier. I like the Forster benchrest seat die better than the Redding equivalent.

To the point of making better ammo because you have a Forster Co-Ax press - that's BS to the max. The Co-Ax is a fine press but you can't credit it with making better ammo than any other press design out there. You might argue that the play in the die/press compensates for poor die set up in a conventional press but if you use conventional presses properly you get very precise ammo. If concentricity is the measure of goodness I can show you how to use a conventional press and get zero or very, very low runout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterDev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the co-ax has the advantage being a floating head and plate. the days of fixed shell holders and thread-ins are for grandpa. </div></div>

BINGO, we have a winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Mine made a difference when I got it. It improved it about .005 over a rockchucker. The RCBS was running about .007-.008."

And the only difference was your press? I mean, you used the same dies and cases, and the cases were also prepped the same way, to make the comparision you cite?

I've never noted any OAL improvements at all from using 'micrometer' dies, as such. The mic heads are only a way to visually adjust the seating stems on my Redding and Forster seaters. </div></div>

Everything the same except the press. The floating shell holder allowed it to align better more consistently. That did translate into consistency improvements as far as the 308 loads went on the range. Maybe it was just piece of mind, but the TRG continues to demonstrate exceptional accuracy. BTW, the 308 cartridge prep I referred to was always Lapua brass. The "range pick-ups" were for 223 because I still haven't gone to a progressive.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, my other lock ring came in the mail today...... was hoping that for $4+ I would get a couple, but there was just 1 lock ring in the bag:( Oh well I have 4 total and should be enough for now.

@Short Round... I have some of the Hornady rings and they work but aren't as tight fitting as the Forster's. Also the Forster rings are like the Hornady, only thing is it uses a phillips screw instead of the hex. I know the RCBS rings are the type where it screws into the Die threads and i don't like those.</div></div>

Thanks that was exactly the feedback I was hoping to hear.